What's Spinning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current rotation !

In heavy rotation these last days:

- Ali Farka Touré "The Source" (World Circuit CD)
- Ali Farka Touré with Ry Cooder "Talking Timbuktu" (World Circuit CD)
- Boubacar Traoré "Kongo Magni" (Marabi CD)
- Ray Brown "Walk On" (Telarc CD)
- Manu Katché "Neighbourhood" (ECM CD)
- Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette "The Out-of-Towners" (ECM CD)

Cheers !

I see you're walking down the ethnical path. Some recomandations :

Oliver Mtukudzi - anything - especially Tuku music
Baaba Maal - anything
Kadja Nin - everything
Cesaria Evora - see above
records from Putumayo

Hi Lugano,

Thanks a lot ! I'll certainly keep an open ear for your recommendations.

Cheers !

ARARAT
Original score composed by Mychael Danna
A Film By Atom Egoyan

PASSION
By Peter Gabriel
Music for The Last Temptation of Christ
a film by Martin Scorsese

Something about a windy day is just right for dramatic movie music. :)

New rotation !

- Boubacar Traoré "Je chanterai pour toi"
- Toumani Diabaté and Ballaké Sissoko "New Ancient Strings"
- Larry Coryell, Badi Assad, John Abercrombie "Three Guitars"
- Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia "Friday Night in San Francisco"

Guitars and ML are made for each other ! :)

Cheers !

AIR - 10,000 Hz Legend. Very cool album. Great sound affects.

GORILLAZ - Demon Days. Fire comming out of the the monkey's head!

Cat Power - The Greatest. Cat gettin' a little bit country.

Willie Smith - The Best of (Alto Saxophonist Supreme!) Great Album over-all. Side B has some incredible accordian!

Murder Ballads by Nick Cave.

Starfish by the Church - jangly Australian alternative 80s pop at its best

Gigapus by Severed heads - fantastic seminal australian techno.

The Aeon I's are doing them proud

An Oldie to remember

Creme de la Creme - Gourmet selections from Sheffield Lab

For those of you that have this compulation of ten recordings from various artists during the early days of CD, you know how good it is. Sheffield Lab, the modern pioneer of direct-to-disc recording was one of the few companies that knew how to produce a CD in "the early days", great stuff on this disc, Amanda McBroom, Dave Grusin, Harry James Big Band,James Howard Newton, Thelma Houston and more !

Scumurculum said:
Murder Ballads by Nick Cave.

Starfish by the Church - jangly Australian alternative 80s pop at its best

Gigapus by Severed heads - fantastic seminal australian techno.

The Aeon I's are doing them proud

Saw the Church on the Gold Afternoon Fix tour, awesome show in a small/medium sized venue (maybe 1500 seats). The Blurred Cursade has always been one of my favorites.

I've also have one Severed Heads disk and can't recall the title, unfortunately it's very difficult to listen to (and I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to electronic/techno/industrial)

My old (well now, real old) roommate was in to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The sound of Nick's voice coming from his room always scared me.....

Kruppy said:
Saw the Church on the Gold Afternoon Fix tour, awesome show in a small/medium sized venue (maybe 1500 seats). The Blurred Cursade has always been one of my favorites.

I've also have one Severed Heads disk and can't recall the title, unfortunately it's very difficult to listen to (and I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to electronic/techno/industrial)

My old (well now, real old) roommate was in to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The sound of Nick's voice coming from his room always scared me.....

Fortuntely the Church still seem to tour relatively often, at least in Australia, I have been to every show they held in Brisbane since the the late 80s.

Nick Cave, well what can I say, his best stuff was when he was still a Junkie. For me The Mercy Seat is the greatest song ever written. Unfortunately in recent years he has cleaned up, become a middle aged family man so his stuff has lost his edge.

But I guess that happens to us all we settle down marry, start a family and buy a pair of Martin Logans...

Last edited:
Yesterday evening:

- Shawn Phillips "Second Contribution"
- Jack Johnson "Brushfire Fairytales"
- Ahmad Jamal "The Essence Part 1"
- Arild Andersen with Vassilis Tsabropoulos and John Marshall "The Triangle"

Right now:

- Patrica Barber "A Distortion of Love"

Next in line:

- "Ray Brown, Monty Alexander, Russell Malone"

Cheers !

James Blunt - Good Bye My Lover
James Blunt - Beautiful
Eagles - Hotel California (live)

Music for Easter !

I'm not a religious person, quite far from it, but I like fitting music so this morning I'm listening to:

- Karen Young "Canticum Canticorum"

Next in line:

- Jan Garbarek "The Hilliard Ensemble "Officium"

- Jonathan Elias "The Prayer Cycle"

- Peter Gabriel "Passion - Music for The Last Temptation of Christ"

Happy Easter to all !

Friday Night in San Francisco - Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia, John McLaughlin

Just heard the fabled "DM" pressing of this album. OMG - what a superb disc. Have not paid much attention to this album as I've always found it a bit too sharp-sounding. But not this one! Detail, dynamics, soundstage - it fulfills all the items in the audiophile checklist, and then some! My friend's turntable had a top of the line Koetsu, which surely helped (understatement).

It wasn't for sale, though, so I ended up with Bob James and Earl Klugh/ One on One, also a mint DM pressing, which is now the best-sounding LP on my shelves.

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

I had forgotten how much fun this disc is. I put on the DVD-Audio, which is my favorite version. (If you have a 5.1 ML system and use it for movies only, I encourage you to discover all those wonderful multichannel audio discs.)

Norah Jones and the Handsome Band

Watched the DVD. Now that I've watched her stand up and sing away from her piano, I appreciate her singing better.

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

I had long favored Waltz for Debby, and just rediscovered this. The multiple takes of the same song have a hypnotic effect. I even think the balance of the sound on this is better than on Waltz for Debby. I have "only" the CD and it sounds superb.

James Taylor - Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon

Ended up with vinyl, an oldie. Good fun. My fave JT album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

For the last week I can't seem to take this one out of my cdp.

For those of you that like or know of the White Stipes, this band is a group of local Detriot musicians/friends (including Jack White). It's not quite as DIY stripped down/garage rock as the Stripes, but a little (just a little) more polished and radio friendly (GASP!, Did I actually write that? I feel like such a blasphemer :eek: ).

I don't know if this counts becasue all the following were played on my pc a work.

Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Hold Your Fire
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Rush - Hemispheres

I jumped back to my old High School prog rock days. Neil Peart is still my hero...

Last edited:
Time to resurrect this thread !

Yesterday evening:

- Toumani Diabaté & Ballaké Sissoko "New Ancient Strings"
- Maurizio Pollini "Chopin, Nocturnes"

Right now:

- Jordi Savall and Hespérion XXI "Altre Follie 1500-1750"

Next in line:

- Andrés Segovia "The Segovia Collection (Vol. 1)"

Cheers !

Joey_V said:
James Blunt - Good Bye My Lover
James Blunt - Beautiful
Eagles - Hotel California (live)
That James Blunt stuff is for women or gays. It's definitely not man's music. This kind of crap is turning men into weak pussies. :mad:

Rik_Rankin said:
That James Blunt stuff is for women or gays. It's definitely not man's music. This kind of crap is turning men into weak pussies. :mad:

Do you take great pride in being banned?

jjqiv said:
Do you take great pride in being banned?
EXCUSE ME? You don't like my comment about that music so you think I should be banned? What wrong with you? I have tried to contribute in a positive way here. If you don't like what I said, it's too bad; that's why we have freedom of speech. I think the music is for weak pussies, women, or gays; that's all. It's not something a real masculine straight man would listen to IMO!

Back