What's Spinning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now :

- Verve // Remixed 3 (double CD)

Yesterday evening:

- The Cinematic Orchestra "Man With A Movie Camera"

Cheers,

Whats Spinnin

I finally got the nerve to tear off the cellophane from my vintage sealed vinyl record of SPIRIT "The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus". I bought it a few months ago in a local vinyl store. My friend back in my teenage days had the the album and I hadn't heard it since. I find I have more fun as a user of cool things rather than a "collector" of cool things. That's why I drive and occasionally work on my my 69' RS/SS 396 Camaro rather than let it just sit in the garage. Some day soon I'm sure I'll break open my virgin sealed DOORS "LA Woman".

A few new arrivals in my collection !

Presently in heavy rotation:

- Arild Andersen with Vassilis Tsabropoulos and John Marshall "The Triangle" (CD - ECM)

- Tord Gustavsen Trio "The Ground" (CD - ECM)

- The Ray Brown Trio "Live At The LOA - Summer Wind" (Hybrid SACD - Concord Jazz)

- Bill Evans Trio "Waltz For Debby - The Complete 1969 Pescara Festival" (CD - LoneHillJazz)

Not my fault, I love jazz trios ! :D

Cheers,

James Taylor-Best of James Taylor: This is a great recording. Taylor's voice just comes at you so big and natural!

Dianne Reeves-Bridges: For those not familiar with her, she straddles between classical jazz and jazz/R&B fusion, though lately it's been more classical style. Beautiful, full, rich voice surrounded by lush backing instruments. Good test CD for imaging.

Echoes of an Era-Various artists: A jazz sextet featuring Chaka Khan (yes, that Chaka Khan!) on vocals, Freddie Hubbard, Chick Corea, Joe Henderson, Stanley Clarke, and Lenny White. Originally released in 1981, it was just reissued last year on CD for the first time. Recording is surprisingly good. Material consists mostly of Ellington/Strayhorn compositions.

Yellowjackets-Dreamland: I love everything this group does. If you are a contemporary jazz ensemble fan and you're not familiar with them, shame on you! ;)

Last edited:
Tonite was a "best of" playlist:

ZZ Top-Greatest Hits, good for testing out the new subwoofer, which still hums, but not if you turn it up really loud :)
Dire Straights-Greatest Hits, another subwoofer workout, and great guitar tickling. This CD really shines on my Requests.
Three Dog Night, Best Of. Gosh, makes me want to hook up the 8 track player again.
Yanni, Live at the Acropolis. Something to give the Laserdisc player a spin.

And tonite's big suprise....the movie "Ray" on DVD. Watched the movie on our new projector and throughly enjoyed the soundtrack. MarkNewbie mentioned the CD soundtrack in a previous post and it is now on my wanted list.

Tj

Depeche Mode - Violator. The best part of getting new speakers is rediscovering old music. The ambience on this recording is excellent. It also shows up the need for a subwoofer, since synthesizers and Depeche Mode in particular, push way down into lower registers.

Cowboy Junkies: Early 21st Century Blues.

"O' Brother Where art Thou" soundtrack on SACD. Very impressed with this disk.

Yesterday evening:

- Dave's True Story "Sex Without Bodies"
- Patricia Barber "Verse"

Right now:

- Cecilia Bartoli "Arie Antiche: Se tu m'ami"

Cheers,

Some new arrivals !

In heavy rotation these last days:

- Champion "Chill'em all"
- Sigur Rós "Takk"
- Neil Young "Prairie Wind"
- Opeth "Ghost Reveries"

Cheers !

Last edited:
socialxray said:
Kaliar

Is the new Sigur Ros any good?
Hi socialxray,

I like the music (Sigur Rós' style is an "acquired taste") but I'm not crazy about the recording: I just listened to the second track "Glósóli" and found the last part a bit too distorted to my taste...

Takk is unmistakenly Sigur Rós, maybe more orchestral and accessible. So, if you have liked the previous albums, you'll find Takk good and enjoyable.

Still, it's not the type of music that entices you to tap your feet and dance ! For that, Champion's "Chill'em all" is more to my liking. :D

Cheers !

Last edited:
Fiona Apple - extraordinary machine. Great LP, unique sound for a pop record; really kinds of grows on you.

Son Volt - straightaways; Another good one.

Monk - Monk. What can you say! Its monk!

jjqiv said:
Fiona Apple - extraordinary machine. Great LP, unique sound for a pop record; really kinds of grows on you.

Any trouble playing this? It's a "dual disc" (DVD one side, CD Audio other) making it thicker than a standard CD-A. They have a very small warning sticker on the back that it is not standard-compatible.

Apple was on David Letterman the other night, doing one of the cuts off of here. It sounded very much like the music from Tidal.

SteveInNC said:
Any trouble playing this? It's a "dual disc" (DVD one side, CD Audio other) making it thicker than a standard CD-A. They have a very small warning sticker on the back that it is not standard-compatible.

Apple was on David Letterman the other night, doing one of the cuts off of here. It sounded very much like the music from Tidal.

No, it would not fit into a standard CD-A player. However, it worked fine on my turntable. :D

Would like to spin it but cant identify it: From the movie 'Crimson Tide', both the opening scene and ending credits are accompanied by an all-male chorus (sort of a monk-ish chant)....its not this particular song I am looking for but would like to know which category it falls into to look for more. I have the movie on dvd and laserdisc and neither discloses the full musical score. Any recommendations?

Tj

Woody Herman - Brand New. Great album. Has Mike Bloomfield on guitar.
Ry Cooder, Mauel Galban - Mambo Sinuendo. Nice!
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich. Fun album
Matthew Ship & Rob Brown - Sonic Explorations. Great piano and sax combo!
The Complete Charlie Barnet - Vol.1/1935-1937. Just plain great music.
XTC - English Settlement. Another good one from XTC.
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space. Like it!

Woody Herman with Bloomfield on guitar...

jjqiv said:
Woody Herman - Brand New. Great album. Has Mike Bloomfield on guitar.
Ry Cooder, Mauel Galban - Mambo Sinuendo. Nice!
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich. Fun album
Matthew Ship & Rob Brown - Sonic Explorations. Great piano and sax combo!
The Complete Charlie Barnet - Vol.1/1935-1937. Just plain great music.
XTC - English Settlement. Another good one from XTC.
Aimee Mann - Lost in Space. Like it!
jjqiv,

Woody Herman with Mike Bloomfield on guitar, sound cool... :D
I'm going to check out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers

-Robin

Tj Bassi said:
Would like to spin it but cant identify it: From the movie 'Crimson Tide', both the opening scene and ending credits are accompanied by an all-male chorus (sort of a monk-ish chant)....its not this particular song I am looking for but would like to know which category it falls into to look for more. I have the movie on dvd and laserdisc and neither discloses the full musical score. Any recommendations?

Tj

I don't know if this helps, but here's a review of the score and Hans Zimmer for Crimson Tide. Of note is that Zimmer often uses synthetic choral sections in his scores. I've seen other references mentioning his score of The Peacemaker as being a continuation of theses themes, so you might look into that one too.

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/crimson_tide.html

Back