What's Spinning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eclectic !

This morning:

- Mahler "Symphony No. 3", Wiener Philharmoniker / Pierre Boulez dir. / Anne Sofie Von Otter, mezzo-soprano (DGG SACD)

Right now:

- Tangerine Dream "Cyclone"

Next in line:

- Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane "Live At Carnegie Hall 1957"

Cheers !

late summer = smooth jazz mood

The last weeks it was a continuous playing and replaying Ike Quebec, Dave's True Story and especially Connie Evingson's "Gipsy in my soul" - the more I listen to this album, the higher it goes into my top ten album list. I'll eventually present it in the recommended jazz thread.

The Dictators - Viva Dictators

Not for the faint of heart or politically correct.
Pre punk rock and roll that is very well produced.

Mike

Desprez: Missa "L'homme arme"/Ockeghem: Requiem
Pro Cantione Antiqua/Hamburger Bläserkreis für alte Musik/B. Turner
DG/Archiv

Masterpieces of incredible beauty. A real killer on Ascents. Was pretty hard to find though ...

It's a rainy nite in Philly......... Jazz time !!

BeeGie Adair - Escape to New York

Thanks for the advice !

miljac said:
Desprez: Missa "L'homme arme"/Ockeghem: Requiem
Pro Cantione Antiqua/Hamburger Bläserkreis für alte Musik/B. Turner
DG/Archiv

Masterpieces of incredible beauty. A real killer on Ascents. Was pretty hard to find though ...
Thanks for the recommendation. That recording is now on my buying list ! ;)

Regards,

Some not well known titles, but worth it !

This morning:

- Nemesis "Nemesis" (Fidelio SACD)

Right now:

- Garmarna "Vengeance" (Northside CD), lots of bass energy here !

Next in line:

- The Coryells "The Coryells" (Chesky SACD), one of my favorites recordings !

Equipment comes and goes, music stays ! :cool:

Cheers !

Elvis Presley's 'From Elvis in Memphis'.

Attachments

• Elvis in Memphis.jpg
    Elvis in Memphis.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 81
Classical moment !

Right now:

- J.S. Bach's Cello-Suiten played by Mstislav Rostropovich (EMI double CD)

Next in line:

- Camille Saint-Saens "Organ Works" played by Joachim Dorfmüller (Capriccio SACD)

Equipment comes and goes. Music stays !

Cheers !

Yesterday- was Bozzio, Levin and Stevens Black light syndrome (great demo disc) and best of Dire Straights private investigations. Ending with Montserrat Caballe the ultimate collection. I love the Willow song. ;)

Today- Continuum the new disc from John Mayer.

A blast from the past

Black Sabbath - Sabotage (Remastered)
I know this might not be everyone’s taste, but I suspect this is one of those forgotten classics lost in the past. The quality of the recording is what I would describe as better than average and the sound stage contains some really good mixing. Best of all the ML's will reveal every detail embedded here as this band clearly got side tracked by using instruments not normally associated with a hard rock band. This is a very dynamic album from start to finish and should be listened all the way through non stop. Kind of like listening to one of those Russian composers that pin you to your seat and let you breathe once in a while.

BTW. I'm not a Black Sabbath fan and I think this was a stupid title for the album which probably is the reason so many have never bothered to listen to it. Now I'm only hoping they will re-master it for SACD.

my HEAD is spinning

I've just got this CD for free, from my HiFi store, which is also official Burmester retailer (I guess they don't sell a Rega Apollo CD player every day) and I just found out the most incredible bass test track I've ever listened to. I absolutely must share this with you all. The CD is a compilation made by Burmester, in order to show off their equipment. After some search I found out that this CD can be bought here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=CBURM3

the bass test track - INCREDIBLE - is track number 10, "Poem of Chinese Drums" by Yim Hok-Man. The rest of the tracks are also fantastic, but this one really blowed me away. Please do your searches, too, and try to grab this CD - I really think it's the last test disk you'll ever buy.

lugano said:
The CD is a compilation made by Burmester, in order to show off their equipment.
The Burmester compilation CD's are excellent. Probably some of the best Redbook that I have heard. I have two of them, and may just pick up this one you listed.

Dan

lugano said:
I've just got this CD for free, from my HiFi store, which is also official Burmester retailer (I guess they don't sell a Rega Apollo CD player every day) and I just found out the most incredible bass test track I've ever listened to. I absolutely must share this with you all. The CD is a compilation made by Burmester, in order to show off their equipment. After some search I found out that this CD can be bought here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=CBURM3

the bass test track - INCREDIBLE - is track number 10, "Poem of Chinese Drums" by Yim Hok-Man. The rest of the tracks are also fantastic, but this one really blowed me away. Please do your searches, too, and try to grab this CD - I really think it's the last test disk you'll ever buy.
Yes, I second this recommendation. The entire CD is great, but if you want to demonstrate dynamic capability, extreem low bass, etc. this is a phenomenal disc to facilitate such things. One of the things that our Martin Logans do the very best is give that impression of a skin, strectched tightly across the face of a drum being struck with a mallet. Very convincing recording in that respect, both on the attack side of the wave as well as a wholly natural decay.

For what it's worth, I ordered this last spring after hearing it at the Avalon speaker factory on some Edilon Diamonds. It was out of stock for the past 6 months or so at Music Direct. If you want a copy I'd act quickly...

Jazz time !

Just listened to some nice cool jazz by a master:

- John Coltrane "Standard Coltrane" (Analogue Productions SACD)

Playing right now:

- Jay McShann "What a Wonderful World" (Groove Note SACD)

Cheers !

30 years back in the past !

Playing right now:

- Tangerine Dream "Rubycon"

Next in line:

- Tangerine Dream "Ricochet"
- Tangerine Dream "Stratosfear"

Equipment comes and goes, music stays ! :cool:

Cheers !

A Philips evening (CDs):

456 333-2: T. Albinoni: The Complete Concertos Op. 9 (2 CD set)

456 337-2: J. S. Bach: The Complete Orchestral Works (9 CD set)

Digitally remastered. Great recordings (from 1960's-80's). Great performers.

Matt Costa – Songs We Sing:

What a pop gem. I stumbled upon this disk and bought it on a whim. I only know the name because Matt and Jack Johnson sang together on a song (Lullaby) from the Curious George soundtrack. This is the type of find that keeps my faith in pop and that the future of music isn’t only pre-fabricated Britney Spears type of sludge. This disk is on Jack Johnson’s Brushfirerecords label. Although it doesn’t have the same production quality as Jack’s, it does have some shining ML moments.

Mozart !

I gave myself a pre-Christmas gift : Mozart's Complete Works (Brilliant Classics - 170 CDs). ;)

Listening right now to CD #6, part of the Symphonys' set ! Only 164 more to go ! :cool:

Cheers !

Latest posts

Back