PS Audio BHK 600s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasonStorm

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone! This will be my first substantive post here. I've had CLX Art speakers for 17 months now. They were initially run off of my Krell multichannel home theater amp, which, at the time, was the best I had heard. But it wasn't captivating. The next up was the BHK 300 monoblocks, which were nice at mdoerate volumes, if the music was not too demanding, and especially with Tungsram 7DJ8 tubes.

Finally, last week, I was able to take advantage of PS Audio's trade-in program and swap out the 300s for their 600s. What follows was largely already posted by me over on their forums.

Right out of the box of course, on day one (compared to my well-burned-in BHK 300s, with their Tungsram 7DJ8’s as recommended by Bascom in one of Paul’s videos), the 600s sounded… well…frankly terrible …like any new audio component does. Those are the hours in which one wonders if they’re going to be returning the new thing rather than sending in the trade-ins. But with enough years of experience and enough purchases under the belt, one comes to truly become accepting of this thing called burn-in . If someone could teach me in lay terms (terms fit for a small child or a golden retriever) , I would love to gain a deeper understanding of what it means for capacitors to “form” and for electronics to “settle.” (Limited talk, please, of concepts such as metals’ atomic spin axis in response to electromagnetic charge propagating down the medium
:thinking:
)

Even during that treacherous first day (while still sounding like an overall step down at the time), hints were afoot about some of the greatness to come, such as the 600s’ ability to power through crescendo/fortissimo episodes in orchestral pieces (episodes during which my 300s would struggle, becoming smeared and obviously petering out). With the 600s, the sound simply grew to fill the room. Perhaps MartinLogan CLX Art speakers are amongst those that are particularly hard to drive (they of the vanishing impedance, such that even with me listening in the 80dB range, a 300 has gone into protection mode). To some extent, perhaps it simply is the added power and might of the 600s (with their larger power supply and doubled capacitance bank) that makes for a lot of the difference. Yet their seemingly complete control and authority to drive these speakers, with complete cohesion of the soundstage, a more “correct” placement of the musicians within that soundstage, a richer, deeper, more impactful bass than I have ever heard before, a still-detailed and pleasant listening experience even at low volume, and the ability to retrieve details in the recording that have never been evident to me with any other setup…

Well, watching the Darren Myers video about the 600s on the PS Audio webpage prior to purchase, I thought he was engaging in sheer marketing hyperbole when he said “The 300s are gone!”

He’s right. The 600s aren’t just “a little bit more of what the 300s are.” They’re a LOT better, a WORLD apart - the difference is NOT subtle. My 300s will be gone as soon as UPS can come to retrieve them! Indeed, the 600s sound so good…so fulfilling and satisfying…that they really make me wonder if a pair of D’Agostino Relentless monoblocks could possibly be worth 11 times as much. While diminishing returns would certainly apply in that hypothetical case, I feel no restraint in asserting that the 600s are definitely worth double the price of the 300s. The sound is more than twice as good.

I’m no audio engineer and I really know nothing at all about circuitry, but I’ll bet these results testify to the 600s’ overall design, not just their power. For the first time in my two-channel life, I TRULY feel that I have a high-end system…and needed to gush about a product. For all those of you contemplating this upgrade, and if the $ is not too dear (especially with their trade-in program), you most definitely will not regret it.

Just don’t judge them on that first day…but I’m sure you all knew that already.

Thank you Paul!
Thank you Darren!
Thank you PS Audio!

…and thank you, Bascom.

G'day MS, very nice set up there, especially the CLX's!

Always nice to hear from fellow CLX Art owners, and learn about their set-ups and system configs. Going from Krells to BHK 600's is a definite step further. I would say is not just a "step" but several steps! Also, as I've stated many times before in nearly all my posts, partner your ML stats with decent gear and you'll get decent sound. If you want to elevate that performance to further levels, partner it with top quality gear and it will shift into another dimension! It's not even funny.

Sky's the limit really in this hobby / passion/obsession... whatever people call it. Of course go with the highest level that you can afford finances permitting. Certainly not necessary to go over the top but when you experience that level of further enhanced performance, it's very hard to settle for less.

Cheers and enjoy those finest tunes! CLX Art's, just love them!
Woof! RJ

G'day MS, very nice set up there, especially the CLX's!

Always nice to hear from fellow CLX Art owners, and learn about their set-ups and system configs. Going from Krells to BHK 600's is a definite step further. I would say is not just a "step" but several steps! Also, as I've stated many times before in nearly all my posts, partner your ML stats with decent gear and you'll get decent sound. If you want to elevate that performance to further levels, partner it with top quality gear and it will shift into another dimension! It's not even funny.

Sky's the limit really in this hobby / passion/obsession... whatever people call it. Of course go with the highest level that you can afford finances permitting. Certainly not necessary to go over the top but when you experience that level of further enhanced performance, it's very hard to settle for less.

Cheers and enjoy those finest tunes! CLX Art's, just love them!
Woof! RJ
I played the Megamillions lottery for the last 2 weeks because it got up to $1.5 Billion! One person from Florida hit it, so they got all of it. I had plans on some new gear. Dashed my dream!

1.5 bil...!!! Hot damn! Now that's something worth winning. Mmm... I do wonder what kind of audio gear that kind of money could buy. Then again, I don't think it would suffice simply because once you've bought the latest & greatest there's always another one round the corner and the vicious cycle continues!

At this stage in my audio system, although there are obvious ways of improvement, I really don't see the point. It has reached its threshold and a fine level of synergy, so why mess with it? Unless I was getting into the highend for the first time. Then I would have to start all over again: room, speakers, gear, cables & accessories, expenditure begins to climb. Then comes the upgrades and when you have limited disposable income, those upgrades get out of hand. Constantly changing gear, going in circles and ending up back at square one! I know a few chaps who did exactly that!

I sincerely believe, once you've carefully chosen gear, carefully put together that gear over the years to create a high performance system that is capable of reproducing what you're after then that's all there's to it! It's that good, leave it. Just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!

BTW, Rob if by any chance you do win a bil, just pass along a few mil to us humble folk down unda. I could certainly do something useful 😀
Woof! RJ

From the BHK 300's to the 600's there's a lot more of everything. Although the 300's are capable of delivering high power, their Output stages are more suited towards benign loads or loads that aren't notorious like stats.

When you consider the BHK 600's there's a lot more current, larger power supplies and much higher voltages in their Output stages. All of these design factors contribute to greater drive, control and grip on difficult loads, such as stats. Although these are very high powered amps, not on any one occasion would you ever require 600 watts! No way. The human ear simply cannot tolerate that kind of power output at constant levels, we'd go deaf!

So the question then, why 100s & 100s of watts...
As stated above, it's more to do with other design factors, current, voltages and larger power supplies. These design elements are what defines an ordinary power amp from an extraordinary power amp. The best part is when you actually audition them side by side, only then you realise the potential and apparent differences. If not for demos or trials, how would you know? Perhaps by reading reviews... maybe only as guidelines not the real thing.

The BHK 600's are also fantastic vfm. Compared to the ultra-high-end, which is quite remarkable in terms of overall performance. However, there are always alternatives available, and when you happen to come across one such kind, and it delivers better results, that's a marvelous thing!

Cheers, and enjoy those finest tunes!
RJ

1.5 bil...!!! Hot damn! Now that's something worth winning. Mmm... I do wonder what kind of audio gear that kind of money could buy. Then again, I don't think it would suffice simply because once you've bought the latest & greatest there's always another one round the corner and the vicious cycle continues!

At this stage in my audio system, although there are obvious ways of improvement, I really don't see the point. It has reached its threshold and a fine level of synergy, so why mess with it? Unless I was getting into the highend for the first time. Then I would have to start all over again: room, speakers, gear, cables & accessories, expenditure begins to climb. Then comes the upgrades and when you have limited disposable income, those upgrades get out of hand. Constantly changing gear, going in circles and ending up back at square one! I know a few chaps who did exactly that!

I sincerely believe, once you've carefully chosen gear, carefully put together that gear over the years to create a high performance system that is capable of reproducing what you're after then that's all there's to it! It's that good, leave it. Just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes!

BTW, Rob if by any chance you do win a bil, just pass along a few mil to us humble folk down unda. I could certainly do something useful 😀
Woof! RJ
Sure, I could send a hundred k down to ya! I know what you mean about around the corner. It's that way with sports cars too. I've finally settled for my 911 turbo as it is. For awhile I wanted to upgrade the turbos and intercooler, that will yield 1000 hp on the car. The cost is high though and really not necessary, lol. There's just about always something better around the corner. The car as it is now is my end game car. About 530 hp is enough and I've already modified it some.
The shop told me the cost on each turbo, just the part, is about $12,000. So $24k for turbos and you still need intercooler etc, plus labor. A customer's car with the upgrade was there and he fired it up so I could hear it. What a beast!

From the BHK 300's to the 600's there's a lot more of everything. Although the 300's are capable of delivering high power, their Output stages are more suited towards benign loads or loads that aren't notorious like stats.

When you consider the BHK 600's there's a lot more current, larger power supplies and much higher voltages in their Output stages. All of these design factors contribute to greater drive, control and grip on difficult loads, such as stats. Although these are very high powered amps, not on any one occasion would you ever require 600 watts! No way. The human ear simply cannot tolerate that kind of power output at constant levels, we'd go deaf!

As stated above, it's more to do with other design factors, current, voltages and larger power supplies. These design elements are what defines an ordinary power amp from an extraordinary power amp. The best part is when you actually audition them side by side, only then you realise the potential and apparent differences. If not for demos or trials, how would you know? Perhaps by reading reviews... maybe only as guidelines not the real thing.

The BHK 600's are also fantastic vfm. Compared to the ultra-high-end, which is quite remarkable in terms of overall performance. However, there are always alternatives available, and when you happen to come across one such kind, and it delivers better results, that's a marvelous thing!

RJ
Good point about sound level. I guess that would really only be good if you had the stereo set up outside for a party or something of that nature. Indoors that would be painful. As a kid in high school I used to blow my ears out with my Alpine car stereo. Too loud and it became painful. Ears ringing for about 24 hours just like a concert. Probably why I have tinnitus. Ringing started for me as a teen.

RJ
I was using my 15A's driven by a PS Audio BHK preamp and PS Audio BHK 250 amp. But a couple of times I blew the overload protection fuse of the power amp (the voume levels were not high at all) . I borrowed a couple of Chord 480W monoblocs and the difference was phenominal. In fact so good that I traded in the PS Audio Pre/Power for the Chord Ultima Pre 2 and Ultima 3 Monoblocs. For me the clarity/precision of solid state all round wins hands down - at least with my beloved 15A's. I too also beleve that the BHK 600 would be perfect, but I wont be exchanging my Chords (there are other issues including first rate support by the manufacturers Chord Electronics here in the UK).

I was using my 15A's driven by a PS Audio BHK preamp and PS Audio BHK 250 amp. But a couple of times I blew the overload protection fuse of the power amp (the voume levels were not high at all) . I borrowed a couple of Chord 480W monoblocs and the difference was phenominal. In fact so good that I traded in the PS Audio Pre/Power for the Chord Ultima Pre 2 and Ultima 3 Monoblocs. For me the clarity/precision of solid state all round wins hands down - at least with my beloved 15A's. I too also beleve that the BHK 600 would be perfect, but I wont be exchanging my Chords (there are other issues including first rate support by the manufacturers Chord Electronics here in the UK).
The Chords! Outstanding amplifiers!

They certainly don't get much attention or the recognition they deserve. The first time I heard these many years ago, they were driving the Acoustats full range. Those Acoustats are big stats! They were nearly touching the ceiling at the owner's place, and at the time he had gone through several power amps that ended up in smoke struggling to grip the impedence swing of the Acoustats.

He had a room full of gear, mostly which was busted. Some amps had gone through thermal overload, others blew fuses, some missing parts, and mostly just idling simply because he couldn't be bothered. When he got these interesting looking Chords, I'd never heard of the brand, only had experience with their accessories, interconnects and cables. I really didn'tknow what to expect, since back then we were used to the better known makes, such as Krell, Bryston and Mark Levinson. Oh my! Those Chord amplifiers gripped the Acoustats like no other! It was an absolute joy to be able to experience these big stats in their full glory, without having amp failures.

Later on, he acquired a pair of even bigger stats by Sound Lab. Although he preferred his older VTL Wotans (1000w tube monoblocks), he kept the Chords. Said it's one of those special unique designs, which aren't made like this nowadays. So, I guess such gear of this nature is invaluable, might as well hold onto them. You never know what your good gear vs your excellent gear is really worth, until you've sold it off and later regret it big time! I can certainly relate to that!

Cheers maties, and do enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

The Chords! Outstanding amplifiers!

They certainly don't get much attention or the recognition they deserve. The first time I heard these many years ago, they were driving the Acoustats full range. Those Acoustats are big stats! They were nearly touching the ceiling at the owner's place, and at the time he had gone through several power amps that ended up in smoke struggling to grip the impedence swing of the Acoustats.

He had a room full of gear, mostly which was busted. Some amps had gone through thermal overload, others blew fuses, some missing parts, and mostly just idling simply because he couldn't be bothered. When he got these interesting looking Chords, I'd never heard of the brand, only had experience with their accessories, interconnects and cables. I really didn'tknow what to expect, since back then we were used to the better known makes, such as Krell, Bryston and Mark Levinson. Oh my! Those Chord amplifiers gripped the Acoustats like no other! It was an absolute joy to be able to experience these big stats in their full glory, without having amp failures.

Later on, he acquired a pair of even bigger stats by Sound Lab. Although he preferred his older VTL Wotans (1000w tube monoblocks), he kept the Chords. Said it's one of those special unique designs, which aren't made like this nowadays. So, I guess such gear of this nature is invaluable, might as well hold onto them. You never know what your good gear vs your excellent gear is really worth, until you've sold it off and later regret it big time! I can certainly relate to that!

Cheers maties, and do enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Yes I too think the Chord amps are outstanding. I also have an old 5 channel SS Chord amp (for my centre and surrounds when watching my football team - Tottenham Hotspur lose again)😂. Additionally I have a superseded two channel Chord amp in my home office. The primary reason these amps are not too popular include their looks (a very marmite design with legs to faciltate stacking and a somewhat strange quirky/glarey look). Perhaps the biggest NO NO is their use of switched mode power supplies. Cleary the use of SMPS is the future but still frowned upon by many of todays Audiophiles.

Back