System #20 (CLSiiZ, Sequel II and Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Zaret said:
I am looking in to purchasing new tubes for it but I may use what CJ recommends which I think are the Sovetk tubes. I believe they built the machine arounds those tubes.
Congrats on the new toy, Jeff. Now, time for some serious tube-rolling and you should read up on
Joe's tube lore where you can find lots of information on the 6DJ8 tube types used in your CJ preamp.

Regarding the Sovtek tubes, I remember Victor Khomenko of BAT commenting (quite a while back on the AA site) that they are the most reliable ones where he can get good consistency on his products. He agreed that the are not the most musical, but they offer reliability where the customer knows what to expect from one unit to another. It is not the amplifier manufacturing business to stock NOS tubes in order to customize each and every unit for each purchase. He leaves it up to the customer to tube-roll to his/her preference. This view is consistent with other tube amp/preamp manufacturers like ARC, CJ, Cary, etc... as well. The moral of the story? Tube-roll away, but be careful to get tubes from reliable sources in order to avoid damaging your equipment.

Good luck
Spike

chris03053,

I still have my "perscription" to Playboy, dont' stop now and not to brag but my son has been to the "mansion" a couple of times, dated a Playmate and met Hugh. :D

Spike,

I am pretty sure CJ uses Sovtek and that is what they recommend, of course. :) I am doing lots of reading to decide which tubes will be the best. Any ideas of where to go or stuff to read let me know.

Thanks again

Jeff :cool:

Follow the "Joe's tube lore" link above

Jeff Zaret said:
I am doing lots of reading to decide which tubes will be the best. Any ideas of where to go or stuff to read let me know.
According to the above link to Joe's tube lore where he compared many 6DJ8 tubes, Amperex and Mullard are on the top of his list. You can also chat with Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio to get more ideas on tube-rolling with the 6DJ8. Upscale Audio is conveniently in your general area of SoCal as well. If you really want to keep yourself up at night, reading about this tube stuff, do a search for 6DJ8 or 6922 on the Audio Asylum site :)

Spike

Spike,
Thanks
I did get to read some of the material that was on Joe's Tube Lore and there is a lot more that I knew. I will do some more research and thanks again

Jeff

The 'New' CJ looks right at home...

Jeff,

Your new CJ, looks excellent in your system. As you've said, it sounds just as good... :D Your photo's look very good. It is good to know that you are enjoying your new toy... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin,
Thanks
My dog likes it too. :rolleyes:
I guess once I get through listening to my entire collection of CD's and LP's I will have to buy some new stuff. :)

BTW, although 2-channel is my preference some of the movies I have watched on HBO and a few I do own in 5.1 are truly amazing.

I guess it is a win-win :D

Win-win...

Jeff,

Your system is all win-win, in my book... :D
You have a very desirable and I might add delightful, two channel sound system, and then you have the HT, whenever the need arises... You've got it all going on, Jeff... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Someday soon...

Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,
Thanks again
If your begging for an invite :rolleyes:..............you are welcome any time you are down here in southern California.

Thanks again for the invite... :D :D

Cheers

-Robin

Well after a lot of money, sweat, obsessive behavior and lost sleep, I have redone my system. Actually, I have repainted the house inside and out and got new carpet too. :D

I wanted to simplify my setup in terms of not spreading it out and was tired of the wall units. I have added more pieces and changed some since the original and follow on posts. If interested, ask away. ;)

I think it sounds better without the wallpaper and the color makes it a warmer almost tube like sound. Maybe I should add that to the “Tweak Section”.

Removal of dark wallpaper to a subtle lighter colr improves sound of MLs. :rolleyes:

Ok so I goofed again
Lets try this one. The first one was too big. The ceiling not blue but white just a bad reflection.

JEff

Last edited:
Hey Jeff, you clean up pretty good !! I like ! BTW is that a CJ amp under your CJ pre ??

Dave,
Yes it is. It is a MF-2500A. I went SS because I wanted the punchof SS with a tube pre. THe sound is smooth and not "bright" like a typical SS amp.

Jeff

Jeff Zaret said:
Dave,
Yes it is. It is a MF-2500A. I went SS because I wanted the punchof SS with a tube pre. THe sound is smooth and not "bright" like a typical SS amp.

Jeff

Jeff I know what you mean, as good as our previous amps (Rotel1090) were I can say the same thing about mine. CJ makes some very nice stuff, enjoy your "new" room !!

Dave,
Thanks
Yes the Rotel was/is a great amp but the CJ is a step above.

I still have small things to do and to to "tune" the room. The fun starts all over again.

Jeff

Jeff Zaret said:
I still have small things to do and to to "tune" the room. The fun starts all over again.
Jeff....Step back, drop the Credit Card, and nobody will be hurt.....We are here to help you....Jeff are you listening... :D Oh...btw, Dr Jack called and wants to to stop by later on today...

Dan

DTB300 said:
Jeff....Step back, drop the Credit Card, and nobody will be hurt.....We are here to help you....Jeff are you listening... :D Oh...btw, Dr Jack called and wants to to stop by later on today...

Dan

LOL

They're on to me! :D

Back