System #20 (CLSiiZ, Sequel II and Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Great!

Jeff,

Your system looks fantastic! :D
I like your low profile equipment rack. The Conrad Johnson amp and preamp look wonderful as well in their new home...

Is that a new sofa and sofa pillows as well? Did you purchased the heavier foam rubber padding, when you replaced your carpets?

I like your sky blue cieling. You're been very busy and it really shows. A wonderfully refurbished listening room. The CSLiiz's really stand out in your new awesome set-up.

Your are an inspiration... Well done Jeff. :D

Robin,
Thanks

The ceilings are white it was a reflection. Yes the carpets were also replaced from the orignial dusty rose (barf) to more of a hiiney color.
The couch was a hand me down I just got andI may replace that too but it is more omfortable than the old one. I still have a few more sound absorbtion ideas that I have to do because right ow there is nothing.

Jeff

Kruppy,
Yes I did. My daughter moved out about 6 months ago, I refinanced, took money out to redo the house. It is amazing after a divorce all your toys do really come back! LOL

Jeff :D

Jeff Zaret said:
Kruppy,
Yes I did. My daughter moved out about 6 months ago, I refinanced, took money out to redo the house. It is amazing after a divorce all your toys do really come back! LOL

Jeff :D

What!?! No more "wallet leech"? Geeesh and to think with my youngest at 2 years, I've only got another 16 years to go if I'm lucky. :rolleyes:

Jeff, Just purusing the members systems today and I couldn't recall if I had complimented you on the "re-do", so here's to ya', it looks very nice !!

I trust you are as happy with using your Fresco for center channel duties as I am ? !!

Dave,

Thanks! Yes it was amazing. I moved my wall units in the living room which gets dusted and that is about it. The room is simple and subtle at the same time. I may put a few things on the wall but I will consider something with sound reflection/absorption in the process.

The sound was the biggest and best improvement. I did expect some change but what was unexpected was the presentation of the sound itself. The soundstage was increased by width and depth. I have very little "ringing" off of walls. I have removed the trees which were behind. It brought the sound too forward for my liking and reduced the depth of field a bit. I do have the advantage of not having a fourth wall, aka back wall. It is open to the kitchen and hallway. This helps with bass loading in the corners or the lack of. A strange room indeed but I think I have tuned it rather well. :D

BTW, I have been tuning and tweaking my turntable and I thought it was me but I had a friend over and did a comparison with the same song first with the CD and then with the turntable and he said hands down the turntable was better and more pleasing to listen to. :eek: He is not an audiophile at all and not music, just your average guy.

Anyway thanks again and for noticing.

Jeff:musicnote:

Jeff, it's interesting that your "re-do" has given you the opportunity to reshape your room accoustically as well, and for the better ! The point being that we all have "settled-in" to a comfortable listening zone and it does make sense from time-to-time to revaluate ones set-up.

Also glad to hear of your renewed intrest in viynl, a few of us have been beating the drum here lately, so that's good to hear !!

Last edited:
Dave,
Yes it is amazing. I was just listening to some vinyl this morning, actually every morning before work. :D
As far as vinyl, it really is not a renewed interest. I have always had it but I am doing some changes to the existing vinyl stuff, preamp, change to the tonearm, and possible redoing the turntable base in cocobolo wood. I may change the soundboard, where the tonearm sits, to ebony too. Just not sure about that with the cost involved. In the future, maybe another phono preamp, another cartridge, just hard to tell cause I believe I am reaching the point of diminishing returns and just changing cause I can. :eek:

Jeff:musicnote:

Jeff, if you feel like doing something to your system (not just "changing cause I can"), I strongly urge you to get your beloved CLS's up on Sound Anchor stands with the back braces! It took me 14 years (the bad news) but it made a world of improvement in transient response (the back braces keep the panel from waving back and forth) and in soundstage/image (due I think to getting the panels away from the floor boundary.) For $550 incl shipping, the bang for the buck is awsome ;--)

nsgarch,

I thought about stands before. When I bought these from the original owner he had Arcici (?) stands but they were sold before I could get them. The one thing which I have noticed is the CLS's seem to loose a little bass definition when on stands and as we know they are already light in that area.

Still I have been pondering the stands and have not made any decisions as of yet.

Jeff:cool:

nsgarch,

I thought about stands before. When I bought these from the original owner he had Arcici (?) stands but they were sold before I could get them. The one thing which I have noticed is the CLS's seem to loose a little bass definition when on stands and as we know they are already light in that area.

Still I have been pondering the stands and have not made any decisions as of yet.

I have considerred DIY bracing the panels and electronics box. I don't need the added height of a stand. I bet just some wire tensioning would be beneficial.

Gentlemen, I must respectfully disagree. The "bass definition" Jeff refers to is actually floor reinforcement (front and back) which is best gotten rid of because it's out of phase (front and back) with what's coming off the panels. Put your speakers up on a couple courses (16 inches total) of concrete block as a test. Better imaging and cleaner midrange. Yes, there will be less apparent bass, but it will be what the speaker actually produces, and clean. Additionally it (the bass) will roll off in a phase coherent way that will mate much better with the Descent sub set a 35Hz, 90 degree phase.

Hmmm, I guess I havent posted in awhile, I've apparently been demoted to a Newbie, ha, ha!

Well it is something to think about. My thoughts are if I raise them what to use. If I build a wood box it will have vibrations which are transfered from the frame and the panel and one would think it is something to avoid. The stands I have seen are really ugly and over priced IMHO and I would think I could build something similar to get the same desired affect for less.

I am always open to ideas and thoughts.

Gentlemen, I must respectfully disagree. The "bass definition" Jeff refers to is actually floor reinforcement (front and back) which is best gotten rid of because it's out of phase (front and back) with what's coming off the panels.
How does floor reinforcement come into play with the CLS panels and their dispersion properties? I could see the Hybrid models having these issues. Please explain.

Well it is something to think about. My thoughts are if I raise them what to use. If I build a wood box it will have vibrations which are transfered from the frame and the panel and one would think it is something to avoid. The stands I have seen are really ugly and over priced IMHO and I would think I could build something similar to get the same desired affect for less.

I am always open to ideas and thoughts.

Fill the wood boxes with sand. Float a wood or mdf board on top of the sand. Place your on speaker on this board. Make sure the board does not contact the wood box

Gentlemen, I must respectfully disagree. The "bass definition" Jeff refers to is actually floor reinforcement (front and back) which is best gotten rid of because it's out of phase (front and back) with what's coming off the panels. Put your speakers up on a couple courses (16 inches total) of concrete block as a test. Better imaging and cleaner midrange. Yes, there will be less apparent bass, but it will be what the speaker actually produces, and clean. Additionally it (the bass) will roll off in a phase coherent way that will mate much better with the Descent sub set a 35Hz, 90 degree phase.

Hmmm, I guess I havent posted in awhile, I've apparently been demoted to a Newbie, ha, ha!

Not a problem here. I roll-off/cross-over the bass at 120hz. I have a dipole sub that integrates very well. Getting the low bass off the CLS yields huge, cone-like, macro-dynamics.

Hey Jeff,

Nice addition of the Conrad Johnson LP 70S and VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine. You probably posted the change before but I missed it.
You have sure done some damage to the old bank account with the equipment and decor changes this year.

What a difference in the room. I looks great.

When you removed your cabinet between the CLSs did it help the depth of sound or did the cabinet not really affect the sound.

I know you said your speakers were 11' apart. how far is it from the speaker to your ear setting in the sweet spot?

If you drew a line between the speakers (at the most forward point) that was parallel to the couch how far would it be from the line to the your ears when seated?

Brad,
Thanks

I updated it yesterday and I am kind of subtle when I do things. I did not want a "big spread". I noticed that it still listed a lot of equipment I no longer had so I felt it was time to update.

My credit card will not talk to me any more and I promised to play nice for awhile. It was one of those deals I could not pass up.

I am guessing about the 11 feet between but I can measure it tonight when I get home from work, yes I work on Sunday.

The VPI I 16.5 got a couple of weeks ago. A long story but it was partially funded as a birthday present so I figured it was time. I does help and it is one of those expenses one has to eventually make to preserve the vinyl collection. :D

The CJ I got on Friday. I traded my CJ 2500A which is a SS amp. The new one will take 200 hours of break in and I am approaching 48. I may let it run through the rest of the weekend and then just enjoy the bliss as it gets better. Otherwise I will have to leave it on for about 2 weeks and I prefer to enjoy the ride knowing it will only get better. They did it right with this amp. The high end is pristine, clean, and clear. Of course the mids are just amazing and what CJ is noted for. The low end is also amazing because I figured this is where it was going to be light but was I wrong. Who would have thought 70 watts could push the CLS's so effortlessly.

Yes the depth increased when I moved the wall units in to my store room, aka living and dining room. In spite of what Lugano says :)D) they are not toed-in too much.

I sit about 8 feet back and 8 feet to each speaker including the rears which are Sequel II's! IT seems to work out very well. I can not go any farther back or I will be in the kitchen, no rear wall.

Can you please comment on the integration of the Fresco into the system?

During movies, when voices pan from Left to Center to Right, how much coloration does the Fresco add compared to the mains?

Are you consciously aware the voices coming from the center aren't as 'good' as the CSLiiz?

Thanks!

-Allen

Back