System #20 (CLSiiZ, Sequel II and Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen,

Loaded question. What I can say is you can tell voices are coming from the center and as far as a great difference between the Fresco and the CLS's for voice it is not that noticeable.
Honestly, if you really really listen hard you can hear a bit of a difference but I would say for dialog it is pretty well balanced and a non- issue.

I have not qualms about recommending the Fresco as a center channel or for that matter even rears too. It is a pretty amazing speaker. When I first heard them they were demoing them on stands and using them to play music through and it was eye opening.:eek:

If you can audition one in your home this would be the best way for you to tell. I have very good ears and sometimes too good, besides having relative pitch :rolleyes: and they do not present any problems at all. I do not think you would be disappointed.

I hope this helps. If you need any more insight just ask.

Jeff:cool:

Hi Jeff, As I'm sure you have found out the addition of the VPI 16.5 is worth every $$ ! My feelings toward the Fresco are exactly the same as yours, especially since I'd rather put my $$ into improving my two channel stuff.

As I said before....Looks good my friend !!!

Dave,

Thanks

Yeah, stuff like the VPI is overpriced but it will last for many years and the pain of paying too much for what it really is, will dwindle away in time.:eek:

Jeff, how cool it is to be able to follow the evolution of your room and your gear. I love your connie j stuff and once owned several of their preamps (PV5, Premiers 3, 3b, as well as two of their phono stages). Your system has really come together and I bet it sounds glorious. There is just something about big planar speakers that create such an expansive soundstage... Congrats on the amp!

Allen,

Loaded question. What I can say is you can tell voices are coming from the center and as far as a great difference between the Fresco and the CLS's for voice it is not that noticeable.
Honestly, if you really really listen hard you can hear a bit of a difference but I would say for dialog it is pretty well balanced and a non- issue.

I have not qualms about recommending the Fresco as a center channel or for that matter even rears too. It is a pretty amazing speaker. When I first heard them they were demoing them on stands and using them to play music through and it was eye opening.:eek:

If you can audition one in your home this would be the best way for you to tell. I have very good ears and sometimes too good, besides having relative pitch :rolleyes: and they do not present any problems at all. I do not think you would be disappointed.

I hope this helps. If you need any more insight just ask.

I appreciate the comment. My brain will just not allow me to believe that the Fresco can match well as a center speaker with (any) ESL Martin Logans...However several people using them have said they are great and I have to try it myself.

So, I bought a Fresco (great deal, $380) and it is on the way. I'll demo it myself! The problem is, that I don't have left and right ESL ML"s to go with it yet =D

-Allen

Jeff, how cool it is to be able to follow the evolution of your room and your gear. I love your connie j stuff and once owned several of their preamps (PV5, Premiers 3, 3b, as well as two of their phono stages). Your system has really come together and I bet it sounds glorious. There is just something about big planar speakers that create such an expansive soundstage... Congrats on the amp!

Tonyc,

Thanks

Yes it is truly amazing and it will only get better as the amp breaks in. :D

Jeff

Allen,

Have an open mind and you will see that it will hold its own. When you venture out and get some panels for the front you will see how well they do match.
I am running my Fresco with an amp that has over 300 watts!

Good luck and congrats on the Fresco.

Allen,

Have an open mind and you will see that it will hold its own. When you venture out and get some panels for the front you will see how well they do match.
I am running my Fresco with an amp that has over 300 watts!

Good luck and congrats on the Fresco.

Fingers are crossed! Now to find a good deal on vistas, vantages or summits.

Based on ML's previous experience with the CLS line of speakers - they DID NOT sell like hot cakes, causing the demise of the line, I would think that ML would not be in any hurry to bring back the full range panel. Unfortunately. Dan

Ahhhhh....who would of known !! While your right Dan they were not in a hurry, rather if a 'sequel' is to be created, it did take time to 'best a classic' !!

Hey Jeff, BTW room looks super clean and bit 'masculine' to boot.

I noticed the SME-10 from the last time I looked, is it fair to assume you're more than pleased with it's performance ? !

Jeff, your setup is looking better than ever. the SME is a great piece of audio jewelry and you've got it running the same cartridge as me. I'll bet you're soaking in musical bliss!

What I can say is yes it is amazing and another leap up. The SME 10 is an amazing piece of engineering. I think now it is just buying some more vinyl and SACD/CD's and just enjoy what I have.:music:

What I can say is yes it is amazing and another leap up. The SME 10 is an amazing piece of engineering. I think now it is just buying some more vinyl and SACD/CD's and just enjoy what I have.:music:

Can we get some better pics of the TT? Would love to see it a bit more close up.

Doug - out

How is this? I took this last week. The wires behind have been moved. :D

Attachments

• SME 10 close-resize.jpg
    SME 10 close-resize.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 185
Updated the text and two new pics.

Let the flaming begin

So what's new Jeff? It looks like you added a Nagra amp, right? I don't see your CJ LP-70 in the picture, but it's still in your system description. Are you pulling a Dave and swapping between sand and glass amps as your mood dictates?

I seem to recall Jeff was selling a Nagra amp not long ago, did you buy it from him?

Well I should have removed the CJ amp because it is now gone. "Busted"!! Yes that is the same amp Jeff was selling. It does do what I was looking for in an amp. I did give up some of the lushness of the CJ mid-range but not that much to miss it because the Act 2 Series 2 is amazing. What I did gain was more dynamics at the extremes. It is hard to believe a 100 watts makes the CLS's really sing but I guess the Swiss really know how to build stuff. :)

I have another piece coming soon. :D

Last edited:
Back