System #20 (CLSiiZ, Sequel II and Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard to believe a 100 watts makes the CLS's really sing but I guess the Swiss really know how to build stuff. :)

Jeff your 'east coast' partner in crime....."Dan the Bowler" knows full well....albeit of New Zealand origin, as how to make CLS's sing ! and I can say the same for a pair of Spire's !

Oh, BTW.......lookin' good !!

Updated pic

JZ 2011 resize.jpg1. Member Name: Jeff Zaret

2. Location: Lancaster, California

3. ML Model(s): CLS iiZ, Sequel II, Theater i and Depth

4. Year Purchased: 2003 Sequel II (used), 2004 CLSiiZ (used), Depth 2004 (new), Theater i 2008 (new)

5. Mods/Changes: Replaced the power regulator boards in the Sequels since one died. The panels were replaced two years before I bought them. The CLSiiZ’s were originally CLSiiA’s(?) and were upgraded by the original owner to iiZs. Panels were replaced in 2006.

6. Associated Electronics:
Conrad Johnson Act 2 Series 2 Preamp
Conrad Johnson Preimier 350
Rotel 1570 Surround pre amp
Alesis RA-300 amp
Rotel 1070 amp
Luxman DU-7i Universal CDP/DVD player

SME 10 with Shelter Harmony cartridge
Nagra VPS Phono Preamp with Viration Platform
VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine

New audio rack(s)

8 GIK panels - 2 242's, 2 244's, and 4 TriTraps

DirecTV HD satellite receiver
Panasonic HD Plasma 50" TV

Interconnects and speaker cables
Tara Labs – The One ISM, RSC Vector 1s and RSC Gen 1&2 interconnects , RSC Vector 1 speaker cables (CLS) and Prism Bi-wire (Sequel II), Audioquest Python Phono cable, Audioquest Sub-3 Subwoofer cable

Power cords - Tara Labs – Prism AC Special power cords, DIY Cable, Shunyata venom 3, Shunyata Python CX, Running Springs Mongoose, Audience Au
DIY Cable – Asylum Power Cables

Herbie’s Audio Lab - Isolation Feet – Ball-Cup BIG Tenderfoot with Gabon Ebony Ball and Big Tenderfoot

Running Springs Jaco
APC H15 Power Center

Homemade "Brightstar" TT platform made for the sub

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

I had listened to a few different electrostatic speakers years ago but could never find the money or an understanding wife. I gave ML’s a good listen early in 2003 and I was hooked, again. I decided I deserved it and would treat myself. This time I had the money and no wife.  That is when I bought the Sequel II’s from a dealer who had them from a trade-in. I have been upgrading since then with newer amps, preamps, cables and associated equipment. In 2004 I stumbled on a mint pair of CLSiiZ’s at a price I could not let go by so I bought them from the original owner. (Thanks Dan - DTB300) As many of us know the CLS’s are great speakers just bass shy and although I had and tried to use my M&K sub it just was not fast enough and was very apparent it was there. So I took the plunge and damaged my credit one more time and purchased the Depth. It is amazing.

My room is not large about 14’ by 17’ with the rear of the room essentially open. I have the speakers (CLSiiZ’s) set up across the long wall about 3’ from the back and corners. The Sequels are up against the walls. I I use my system primarily for two channel music and watch TV a little. When someone brings over a DVD or there is something on the “premium” channels that is good I will use them otherwise they are resting.

If anyone want any other shots of my stuff just ask.

YES The pics are wrong but I forgot how to edit them.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeff, I like the layout and it seems so dialed in.

I have trouble seeing how far away the front wall is. Can you give some dimensions? I am especially interested in the depth to the front wall and the relative front edge of your electronic’s stand to the back of your speakers.

Regards

Duke

Duke,

There is about 11 feet between the inside of the speakers. The inside edge is about 27 inches from the back wall and the outside I think is around 43 or so. Yes I do have them toed in but it gives the center image right from the TV. The distance from the stands are 23 inches from the edge of the speaker to the edge of the stands. The back of the stand is 12 inches from the wall.

BTW the have one other GIK 242 I use when I do some critical listening. I put it on the Theater i which removes that last bit of reflection and dials in the left, right and center images.

I hope that helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Jeff
Regards

Hey Jeff, I hadn't noticed the update from earlier...........job well done, I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks !

View attachment 144641. Member Name: Jeff Zaret

4. Year Purchased: 2003 Sequel II (used), 2004 CLSiiZ (used), Depth 2004 (new), Theater i 2008 (new)

5. Mods/Changes: Replaced the power regulator boards in the Sequels since one died. The panels were replaced two years before I bought them. The CLSiiZ’s were originally CLSiiA’s(?) and were upgraded by the original owner to iiZs. Panels were replaced in 2006.

Conrad Johnson Act 2 Series 2 Preamp
Conrad Johnson Preimier 350
Rotel 1570 Surround pre amp
Alesis RA-300 amp
Rotel 1070 amp
Luxman DU-7i Universal CDP/DVD player

Nagra VPS Phono Preamp with Viration Platform

New audio rack(s)

Panasonic HD Plasma 50" TV

Tara Labs – The One ISM, RSC Vector 1s and RSC Gen 1&2 interconnects , RSC Vector 1 speaker cables (CLS) and Prism Bi-wire (Sequel II), Audioquest Python Phono cable, Audioquest Sub-3 Subwoofer cable

Power cords - Tara Labs – Prism AC Special power cords, DIY Cable, Shunyata venom 3, Shunyata Python CX, Running Springs Mongoose, Audience Au

Herbie’s Audio Lab - Isolation Feet – Ball-Cup BIG Tenderfoot with Gabon Ebony Ball and Big Tenderfoot

Running Springs Jaco
APC H15 Power Center

Homemade "Brightstar" TT platform made for the sub

I had listened to a few different electrostatic speakers years ago but could never find the money or an understanding wife. I gave ML’s a good listen early in 2003 and I was hooked, again. I decided I deserved it and would treat myself. This time I had the money and no wife.  That is when I bought the Sequel II’s from a dealer who had them from a trade-in. I have been upgrading since then with newer amps, preamps, cables and associated equipment. In 2004 I stumbled on a mint pair of CLSiiZ’s at a price I could not let go by so I bought them from the original owner. (Thanks Dan - DTB300) As many of us know the CLS’s are great speakers just bass shy and although I had and tried to use my M&K sub it just was not fast enough and was very apparent it was there. So I took the plunge and damaged my credit one more time and purchased the Depth. It is amazing.

My room is not large about 14’ by 17’ with the rear of the room essentially open. I have the speakers (CLSiiZ’s) set up across the long wall about 3’ from the back and corners. The Sequels are up against the walls. I I use my system primarily for two channel music and watch TV a little. When someone brings over a DVD or there is something on the “premium” channels that is good I will use them otherwise they are resting.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.
[/QUOTE]

I have now replaced the Luman Du 7i with an Oppo BDP-105. I am selling the Luxman if any one is interested. :)

I have now replaced the Luman Du 7i with an Oppo BDP-105. I am selling the Luxman if any one is interested. :)[/QUOTE]

Well I have made some changes since this picture was taken.

I did a mod the electronics in the CLSiiZ by adding bigger and better caps and replaced the coil. More detail and punch! Thanks DTB00 for the parts and advice.

I have added the Auralic Vega Dac to my collection. Very nice addition.

I have built a music server using an Intel NUC. It is an I3 based proceesor. I have a two terabyte hard drive attached currently with another one waiting to join the fold.

I have sold my Conrad Johnson Act Series 2. It was replaced by the new Nagra Jazz. Very nice change.

I think I forgot to mention that the Nagra VPS (phono preamp) is battery powered with the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning power supply. I had Vinnie (RW) mod the battery pack so it now powers the VPS and the Nagra Jazz. Nice indeed.

Here is a more current pic.

View attachment 17872

very nice Jeff, glad to see(hear) you're still alive and kicking ! ……………now we all need to hear from Dan (DTB300) that he's doing well !

I see my pic did not make it.
I have made some changes since the last pic posted here.
The CJ ActII is gone. It has been replaced by a Nagra Jazz.
The Luxman is gone and replaced by an Oppo 105. The "D" version was not available at that time.
I have the Red Wine Audio Black LIghtning modified with a second battery and added another cable. Now I can power the Nagra Jazz and the Nagra VPS (phono pre) with the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning.
I have added an Intel i5 NUC to play some of my music on my usb drive.
I am sure there may be a few more little things but that is about it.

Thanks

Jeff

JZ.jpg

I see my pic did not make it.
I have made some changes since the last pic posted here.
The CJ ActII is gone. It has been replaced by a Nagra Jazz.
The Luxman is gone and replaced by an Oppo 105. The "D" version was not available at that time.
I have the Red Wine Audio Black LIghtning modified with a second battery and added another cable. Now I can power the Nagra Jazz and the Nagra VPS (phono pre) with the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning.
I have added an Intel i5 NUC to play some of my music on my usb drive.
I am sure there may be a few more little things but that is about it.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, you might be the first person here with any Nagra gear in their system. That is some sexy stuff, kind of the epitome of Swiss precision. Glad to hear you like your Vega DAC as well (from another AURALiC fan). Vinnie's battery gear is awesome. I met him at RMAF last year and we talked for about an hour about his new company. Not even sure if he is still part of Red Wine Audio.

Update

1. Member Name: Jeff Zaret

5. Mods/Changes: Replaced the power regulator boards in the Sequels since one died. The panels were replaced two years before I bought them. The CLSiiZ’s were originally CLSiiA and were upgraded by the original owner to iiZs. This was a "power module" upgrade. The panels were replaced in 2006 and still doing well.. I replaced the a few of the caps and one inductor in the CLS. It gave them a bit more punch clearer lower mids and low end, as much as there really is in the CLS.

Nagra Classic Preamp
Nagra VPS Phono Preamp with Virbation Platform
Passlabs 150.8 for the CLSiiZ's.
Anthem AV60M Surround processor
Anthem MCA 325 Power amp Powers the Sequel II's and the Theateri
Sony Ultra UHD DVD/CD player
Shiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC
Mutec mc-3+ usb Master Clock
Synology NAS for my collection of music. Using Roon. :)

LG Oled TV 65"

Tara Labs – The One ISM, RSC Vector 1s and RSC Gen 1&2 interconnects , RSC Vector 1 speaker cables (CLS) and Prism Bi-wire (Sequel II), Triode Wire phono cable, Triode Wire USB connection from PC to external clock 2 Pairs of Duelund XLR cables, Nordost Red Dawn(?) XLR

Running Springs Jaco and Running Springs Dimitri
APC H15 Power Center

Homemade "Brightstar" Turntable platform and one made for the sub

Assorted dog toys.

I am sure I forgot a few things. :)

20200423_145404.jpg
20200423_145431.jpg20200423_145444.jpg

maybe the new pics will show up???

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.[/QUOTE]

Wow, another 'voice from the past' shows up ! Looks like a nice spot to isolate during COVID19 Jeff !

Great Nagra preamplifier and Pass Labs power amp. Swiss do not have planned or built in obsolescence in their durable products. Therefore preamp may last a very long time. In your system I know everything contributes to a overall great sound. Try to protect CLS2z from direct sunlight.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

Back