System #20 (CLSiiZ, Sequel II and Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,
Thanks for the compliment. I think my setup is average but IMHO, I think it sounds great. I have made some more changes but no new pictures yet. Yes, my dog like the music and sits with me when I listen and also when I watch TV. The only problem I have is that she will not go to the kitchen and get me a drink or a munchie but I am working on that. :D

I may get shot for this but I think the CLSiiZ's, to my ears and taste, sound better than the Ascent i's. It is a different sound and because there is no woofer, it is all panel. I will say that they do not extend as low as the Ascent i's can go but that is why I have a Depth sub to make up the lack of deep bass. I also have a pair of Sequel II's that were predecessors to the SL3's which then were replaced by the Ascents then the Ascent i's. So I am familiar with the "type" of sound the Ascent i's produce. I think the Ascents in general display a larger soundstage than the Sequels did but that is from memory not comparison.

I chose the CJ because of a few things. I bought the CJ because it was a demo with less than 30 hours on it and was about 30% less than retail. ;) I liked the construction and the philosphy of CJ and I talked with a few repair people regarding CJ's preamps and they were praised very highly.

Sunfire is great equipment but it is out of my price and justification range. I think what Bob Carver has done is phenomenal with all his products. At that point in time it just did not fill the need and/or void I had. All I wanted was a simple preamp. What I lost from my SS preamp was remote capability and a phono preamp. The remote was not that big of a deal because I still have to get up to turn on/off the amp. The phono preamp I solved by buying a NAD phono preamp and maybe someday I may look in to a CJ phono pre but that too is a bit of cash. For the most part I listen to 2 channel music so all the bells and whistles of a HT preamp was not my immediate concern. This was an amazing change and very noticable in sound quality and presentation. This is not to say what I had was bad this was just better.

I have some changes that I will be doing in the next few weeks so stay tuned. Lets just say that I am designing in some changes that will allow me to have my 2 channel system and a HT setup LOL
If you are ever down in Sountern California and we can hook up you are welcome to listen to my CLSiiZ's.

Jeff :cool:

Jeff,

Thank you for all of the great information regarding CLSiiZ's, CJ and Sunfire, it is greatly appreciated, as always. I don't get down to So. Cal much any more, but maybe some day, I would like to hear your CLSiiZ's and see your set up. Thanks for the invitation.

-Robin

We want more photo's, We want more photo's...

Jeff,

When are you going to post some more photo's of your system? I thought, you had several system improvements, since the JC (PV10BL)... Some of which, you had eluded to were quite controvercial? :) You should brib your daughter, again, to take some more photo's. I for one, would like to see, what you have added to your set-up / system. :D

Cheers

-Robin

Thanks Jeff...

Jeff,

Thank you! Sorry to be a nag..., about more photo's of your system, but I think just really like the looks of your system. I just enjoy seeing what you have done, and continue to do with it. :D

Thanks again, Jeff

-Robin

Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,
No problem
I have some pictures but they are really blurry so I need to retake them.

Can you post some more of that wallpaper?? That is some rockin paper! LOL

Jeff - Really nice system. I bet it sounds fantastic too! I know that feeling of going from SS to tube on the pre. It was an amazing difference but I went from a Carver receiver so perhaps not exactly the same as you. There is just something about tubes that changes the sound. I liked the look af what you have as there is something about those CLSiiZ's that really appeals to me.

Hope all is well with you and yours... :)

Jeff's system rocks...

Jeff and Mark,

I continue, to wish that, Martin Logan would make another, "up-dated", version of the CLSiiz's. A newer, more improved, all electrostaic panel version would sell like hot-cakes. I would buy a pair even if I had to morgage my house. ;) , well maybe, I wouldn't have to go that far... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Ok after much tweaking of my daughter camera I have taken some new pics and upload 5 for your indulgance.

Sooooooooooooooo what is new since the last pics?

For those who have not looked in awhile I have changed preamps from the Rotel to a Conrad Johnson tube preamp. :D :D

I have resurrected my old Marantz Model 30 preamp/amp which was new in 1971. This was when Marantz was built in the California. This model was hand built like many of this time and has all "Mil" spec parts. A sweet piece. I use this to power my center channel. Speaking of center channels, currently my center channel consists of 2 Yamaha 3-way bookshelf speakers. I know they are not as good as ML's but free was a good price and gives me time to save. Actually they are not that bad and blend fairly well.
Just to clarify the picture they are sitting on my Sony DVD and Sony VCR. They are speparated from the components by small wood blocks made of Poplar. In the center in a DirecTv box. Yes I still like my kids and yes I still hate the wallpaper!!

Sitting on top of the Conrad Johnson preamp is my Roku Soundbridge. This is essentially my tuner. Where I live if I am lucky I may get one or two stations. This device allows me to listen to radio, any radio station who broadcasts on the internet. It operates WiFi to my router and they have an agreement with iTunes so there are 10 preset stations of which you can change via browser to anything you like. It will also play "playlists from iTunes, Rhapsody, MusicMatch and Windows Media from my computer.

The small device sitting on top of my large Rotel amp is another amp I recently purchased. This is an Alesis amp. It is designed to be rack mounted. My son has one in his studio at home and he said it has been great for his work. This is a 300 watt amp that I use to power the Sequel II's which are my rears for home theater, yes I know it is over kill but I do not want to part with them and they are amazing!

Miscellaneous changes have been I added gold connectors to my phono cable since they were shorting and 30 years old. This is now happy. I have purchased two new pairs of cables. One between my CD and preamp and one from my preamp to my amp. These are both Tara Labs RSC Primes. The latest versions of these are the RSC Gen2's. Without going in to a long debate because this dealer also sells AudioQuest this was the better cable and totally amazing. I did have Tara Lab cables on these connections before but these are a major upgrade.

Robin said:
I continue, to wish that, Martin Logan would make another, "up-dated", version of the CLSiiz's. A newer, more improved, all electrostaic panel version would sell like hot-cakes.

Based on ML's previous experience with the CLS line of speakers - they DID NOT sell like hot cakes, causing the demise of the line, I would think that ML would not be in any hurry to bring back the full range panel. Unfortunately.

Dan

Dan,
I agree. They were expensive for the time and just not a great seller. Too bad because I think it is one of their best speakers and of course I a not biased at all. LOL :D

Mark,
I think you are correct.
I will repost the pics tonight. :eek:

Ok I will try this again. I guess I am suffering from dame brammage.

Remember blinking lights is the essence of all technology

:D

Maybe 5 files got uploaded this time LOL

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I have an average system too but the important thing here is that we enjoy our systems. We are all audiophile nuts but I think I am "less nut" than the others LOL... If I found a pair of CLS II then I would buy them for my study (if the price is right).

Regards, Transpa.

Transpa,
Thanks
I am sure I go get a lot more obbsessive than I am but I also believe in the "laws of diminsihing retiuns". I do not think I will see that much of a change if I upgrade to more esoteric pieces. I would have to spend 4 or 5 times the price of what I have paid to hear a differnce. I would rather spend it on music and enjoying my life than chasing something that may not exist.
To date I have not heard a speaker that presents music as well as the CLSiiZ's. IMHO

Back