2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just experienced major issues trying to watch Drive to Survive (DV/Atmos) on Netflix via the Smyth A16 Atmos headphone processor, it would not play more than 5 minutes before issues cropped up, audio stream would go completely out for 20+ to 60+ seconds at a time. Unusable.
Since I had to use headphones (mid-afternoon, did not want to disturb family) I switched to the AirPod Max headset, and watch 3 hrs with no glitches, even though I paused multiple times.

So definitely some sync issues between the ATV and a downstream device. And the flow goes through the Splitter mentioned in my prior posts, so not sure what the root cause is, but it is not the TV. It is likely between ATV and the audio decoder device.

Ok, so I'm jumping into this pool to see what the hubbub is all about, so I'll concentrate more while watching anything from NETFLIX in ATMOS.

I'll admit I haven't watched much on NETFLIX in ATMOS since signing up - again - a few months ago, but I also haven't noticed any audio problems with it. So now I'll play some ATMOS exclusively to see what happens.

Last year it was suggested by a friend for me to watch Drive To Survive, so tonight, that's what I'm doing. DV ATMOS. Looks great! Sounds great! But, for how long? Got through Season 4: Episode 1, which is 39 minutes, without any issues.

For the record, I've got an early 2021 TV4K which I bought at an Apple Store, the one I physically walk into, on the second day it was available to purchase. It's currently on tvOS 15.3 (19K547).

It doesnt make sense to me why its only Atmos. Only thing that is logical is that it is because there is more data with the extra channels.

It doesnt make sense to me why its only Atmos. Only thing that is logical is that it is because there is more data with the extra channels.
Likely with the Dolby MAT 2.0 reencoding as had been speculated previously in the thread.

So, I got an update for the 15.4 beta on Saturday. Still having the issue, but I noticed a couple things:

-My AVR is no longer dropping the decoding during periods of muting. Previously, when the popping problem accompanied by muting occurred, I could see my AVR drop Atmos decoding, go down to stereo, back to multi channel, and then back to Atmos. I haven't noticed this happen during the muting periods since the update. Perhaps this means there are changes being worked on related to this issue(?).

-The problem hasn't yet happened to me after a full restart of the ATV; it seems to only surface after the ATV goes to sleep (pressing the power button on Siri remote). I thought I experienced this previously, but came to conclusion the problem was still happening after full restart. In my limited testing with this newest beta, however, the problem is not happening (or, at very least, the frequency of occurrences is lower).

Note pressing the Siri remote power button isn't sufficient for a full restart (this only puts the unit to sleep). For a full restart, either select the option from the System menu in the ATV, or on the Siri remote, hold down the back and TV buttons for a few seconds until the screen goes black. You will then see the Apple logo and the unit will fully restart.

I'm going to perform this full restart prior to watching any Atmos content to continue to test this out. But did some trials last night and it was predictably better. Also makes me wonder how Apple is trying to diagnose the problem. Are they just pulling a unit off the shelf and connecting and testing it (i.e., a full restart)? If so, perhaps that is causing some difficulty in repeating the problem, since their test units would not be going through the sleep cycle. Probably unlikely that is the case, but does make me wonder.

Just experienced major issues trying to watch Drive to Survive (DV/Atmos) on Netflix via the Smyth A16 Atmos headphone processor, it would not play more than 5 minutes before issues cropped up, audio stream would go completely out for 20+ to 60+ seconds at a time. Unusable.
Since I had to use headphones (mid-afternoon, did not want to disturb family) I switched to the AirPod Max headset, and watch 3 hrs with no glitches, even though I paused multiple times.

So definitely some sync issues between the ATV and a downstream device. And the flow goes through the Splitter mentioned in my prior posts, so not sure what the root cause is, but it is not the TV. It is likely between ATV and the audio decoder device.
Interesting. So, when using AirPods Max (or Pro), and getting the spatial audio stream, does this mean Apple TV is not reencoding the MAT 2.0 signal to send to the headphones, and doing its "own" thing? Like, when using your Smyth A16 Atmos processor, it's relying (I assume) on the reencoded Atmos/MAT2.0 signal just like all our AVRs, etc., but how do the Apple headphones work? Is it some proprietary encoding used for their devices w/spatial? Plus, they would probably have to license Dolby for each headphone device, vs. only once for the iPhone, ATV, iPad, etc., so it would be added cost, not to mention the h/w required to do so in each headphone device. I would expect them to only want to decode it once; what value is there to reencode it in those situations? Which would then again point to an issue with their MAT2.0 encoding for non-Apple devices.

Likely with the Dolby MAT 2.0 reencoding as had been speculated previously in the thread.

So, I got an update for the 15.4 beta on Saturday. Still having the issue, but I noticed a couple things:

-My AVR is no longer dropping the decoding during periods of muting. Previously, when the popping problem accompanied by muting occurred, I could see my AVR drop Atmos decoding, go down to stereo, back to multi channel, and then back to Atmos. I haven't noticed this happen during the muting periods since the update. Perhaps this means there are changes being worked on related to this issue(?).

-The problem hasn't yet happened to me after a full restart of the ATV; it seems to only surface after the ATV goes to sleep (pressing the power button on Siri remote). I thought I experienced this previously, but came to conclusion the problem was still happening after full restart. In my limited testing with this newest beta, however, the problem is not happening (or, at very least, the frequency of occurrences is lower).

Note pressing the Siri remote power button isn't sufficient for a full restart (this only puts the unit to sleep). For a full restart, either select the option from the System menu in the ATV, or on the Siri remote, hold down the back and TV buttons for a few seconds until the screen goes black. You will then see the Apple logo and the unit will fully restart.

I'm going to perform this full restart prior to watching any Atmos content to continue to test this out. But did some trials last night and it was predictably better. Also makes me wonder how Apple is trying to diagnose the problem. Are they just pulling a unit off the shelf and connecting and testing it (i.e., a full restart)? If so, perhaps that is causing some difficulty in repeating the problem, since their test units would not be going through the sleep cycle. Probably unlikely that is the case, but does make me wonder.
Great feedback. I will try to remember doing a full restart before watching Atmos next time.

I've never checked my Marantz to see if it drops down to stereo when it mutes. I have to press the info button and it's kinda slow. Since it's in dolby vision, the screen picture goes away and shows the info on a black screen. I read that the receiver doesn't support the ability to superimpose an image on top of the picture from the show.

Great feedback. I will try to remember doing a full restart before watching Atmos next time.

I've never checked my Marantz to see if it drops down to stereo when it mutes. I have to press the info button and it's kinda slow. Since it's in dolby vision, the screen picture goes away and shows the info on a black screen. I read that the receiver doesn't support the ability to superimpose an image on top of the picture from the show.
Yeah, I imagine there wouldn't be enough time to pull up the OSD when it happens. I have the two-line display on my SR7013, and leave the little door open so I can see it there when it happens. Like this:
1647279674096.png

Yeah, I imagine there wouldn't be enough time to pull up the OSD when it happens. I have the two-line display on my SR7013, and leave the little door open so I can see it there when it happens. Like this:
View attachment 22452
Oh, thanks! I forgot all about they screen. I keep that door closed all of the time. Next Atmos show I watch, I will open that up.

I'm watching the final season of The Last Kingdom now and it's in dolby 5.1.

Part of me is glad to see new shows in 5.1 so I don't have to worry about the sound problem. It's sad. Definitely would not recommend the Apple tv for anyone watching Atmos content on an AVR.

I like these posts owners made on the bottom of the page. Sound familiar? Slow to fix problems and its like they just dont care, but they have time and energy to make it so you can log on to your device using facial recognition while wearing a mask! Come on. Oh, and new emojis! Wee. One post there about Atoms.

dukaki
    3 hours ago
    Dolby Atmos is no longer supported when using a Homepod Mini stereo pair as the default audio output…

Yusry Prince
    dukaki39 minutes ago
    Oh no...........
      Bob Whaler
      4 hours ago
      Large media libraries still do not load in AppleTV app. Been busted for years. Clearly Apple doesn't care about it's largest customers--just an "edge case."
      The great irony is the functionality works elsewhere, e.g. Movies and TV Shows apps. Just cut-and-paste the code over. Shows how big and slow Apple has become.

I have to say that I marvel at you guys who tenaciously fight this battle. I check back periodically to see if any progress has been made, but I have moved on. I ordered an Nvidia streamer, I have been using my Roku Ultra, and hope that some day I will be able to use the ATV. We have plenty of TVs, so everything gets put to good use (except the ATV).

I have an iPhone, iPad, Apple watch, various Apple accessories, etc and the rest of the family has multiple MacBooks. I could never stand Apple MacOS. Their “we know what you want and anyone who wants something different is stupid” attitude will work for a while, probably longer than I’ll continue being alive, but it surprised Sybase back in the day that maybe Sybase didn’t have a lock on the market.

Good luck guys. Carry on.

Pleased to see someone remembered my speculations regarding the root cause of the Atmos problem. I still believe it was not far from the mark.

I have been mostly on the sidelines, testing the latest tvOS betas, and switching my Denon AVR to the Gen 1 unit when there is a problem. To be honest, I haven't had the problem in quite some time (probably since the 15.4 betas), but I am probably not watching the more problematic Atmos content.

Same here. Try any show on Netflix that is in Atmos. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Dolby vision because every show that is in atmos seems to also be vision.

But it doesn't seem to be just any Atmos + DV show -- some content seems to be less problematic. I have recently watched the first 10 episodes of 'Black Summer', a Netflix Atmos + DV program, and haven't had any issues. I had previously watched shows, such as 'Lost in Space' and 'The Witcher', where the Atmos would act up frequently. There are some programs that are Atmos but not DV on Netflix, such as 'Dark' S1.

Last edited:
But it doesn't seem to be just any Atmos + DV show -- some content seems to be less problematic. I have recently watched the first 10 episodes of 'Black Summer', a Netflix Atmos + DV program, and haven't had any issues. I had previously watched shows, such as 'Lost in Space', where the Atmos would act up frequently.
Well, in my case it really seems to be totally random. You can watch the same show several times and in some cases it's flawless, and then others will have problems. That's with the same episode etc.

Update from me. I'm on the latest version and have been since I'm on BETA. On Monday I watched "The Adam Project" on Netflix and when it first started up there was that digital noise. So I stopped the movie and rebooted the AppleTV since I hadn't watched TV in some time in that room. System came back up and I started the movie all over again. The entire movie sounded amazing with no hiccups. Then I started to watch the new series "Vikings Valhalla" and the sound was just garbage so I turned it off. Last night I watched the new Spider-Man with no issues at all from start to finish. For me I only experience the issues with Netflix.

Back