2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever OS version I had when the Apple tv new gen was first released had the problem. It was there and then went away when I traded it in for a new one. I assumed it was hardware, but then the problem came back around November. Maybe because of the newer os?
The replacement devices came with 14.7, which seemed to have a low frequency of the issue. Updating to 15 and above increases the prevalence of the issue, but seems to be consistently problematic across the 15.x releases.

The replacement devices came with 14.7, which seemed to have a low frequency of the issue. Updating to 15 and above increases the prevalence of the issue, but seems to be consistently problematic across the 15.x releases.
That's what I gathered too. I pre-ordered my APTV 4k and got it in the mail on day 1 in the stores. Whatever OS it had on it was immediately replaced when I hooked it up to the net and checked for updates. I've got no idea what # it was, but probably 14 something.

What # is the current release? Still 15 something or is it up to 16 now?

I'm on 15.3 and it's generally been good for my system. I get the occasional odd electronic stuttering sound - like the audio was being broadcast through a fan - but that's usually just on one channel (most commonly, my left surround) and I can clear it by going out to the main menu and kicking in a preview in some other audio mode, then return to the movie I was watching. I think this might have happened once in the last 45 days or so.

I'm on 15.3 and it's generally been good for my system. I get the occasional odd electronic stuttering sound - like the audio was being broadcast through a fan - but that's usually just on one channel (most commonly, my left surround) and I can clear it by going out to the main menu and kicking in a preview in some other audio mode, then return to the movie I was watching. I think this might have happened once in the last 45 days or so.
Oh, wow. That sounds good. Thats even watching Netflix Atmos sound?

So you tried just exiting out to the show's main menu and coming back in and the problem was still there? You actually have to watch a clip for a brief moment in something other than Atmos and then return to your show? Im guessing none of the previews are in Atmos? That would be real fast to find and click on that.

After reading Msimanyi's post, I think I might install the latest OS soon. That certainly sounds better than what I am getting now in the show im watching on Netflix. Its been bad the last few nights. Im watching Archive 81.

Let me double check on some Netflix content. Are there any in particular you'd like me to check?

I know I've seen Atmos on the app, but I don't actually have Atmos speakers configured. That could be a key difference...

Let me double check on some Netflix content. Are there any in particular you'd like me to check?

I know I've seen Atmos on the app, but I don't actually have Atmos speakers configured. That could be a key difference...
Oh. For most of us it only happens on Atmos. I can watch dolby 5.1 for 24/7 and it never messes up. It's only Atmos tracks.

For me right now it's messing up bad on Archive 81. Atmos sound. You won't be able to listen to Atmos unless your receiver is Atmos capable. Atmos shouldn't even show on the series' profile page of your receiver isn't Atmos. It should only show 5.1 then.

I'd think that as long as you can play atmos tracks, not having ceiling speakers shouldn't matter. It should still screw up.

Going to keep on 15.1.1 for now.

My processor *is* Atmos capable and despite not having Atmos speakers on it, the feed identifies as Atmos. Lemme fire up some Archive 81! Any particular episode?

Edit: It's an Emotiva RMC-1 processor and the app (phone, iPad) shows that it's being decoded as Dolby Atmos.

Archive 81, episode 1 was flawless…
The episode # shouldn't matter, but I was getting it really bad on episodes 4 and 5. I watched 6 tonight and it did drop sound some. This whole time the problem seems to be random and have no rhyme or reason for when it happens.

I can't help but think that something "triggers" this, i.e., everything works fine until some tvOS event, which then makes content susceptible. I have some other issues that will pop up, too, including my volume "jumps" (previously mentioned). But, will also sometimes lose the CC menu, and recently noticed video "skips", or freezes, that seem to go away if I reboot (full reboot or sleep).

The first consideration for freezes and skips is likely the network. Even with 600Mb service, I was able to saturate my network until I enabled traffic management to avoid buffer bloat. The term "buffer bloat" is easily searched online, and with a little luck you (the royal You, not you whathappened) have a router that is able to manage it as well.

In a nutshell, you limit the max bandwidth for any device to something less than your service speed. Doing this allows the router to manage available buffers to keep communications moving smoothly.

But there are soooooo many other things that can go wrong in the pipe that could affect it. To me, this "feels" like an internal issue for the AppleTV4k, especially given the communications from Apple that other members here have posted. It could easily be an edgy implementation of HDMI protocols or simply a bug in their code for processing Atmos signals.

In my case I was able to stream Atmos using my Amazon Firestick 4k just fine on HBO Max, so that kinda points to the Apple tv being the problem and not the network. I too get 600 mbps and buffer bloat tested ok. Apple tv is hooked up to ethernet through a switch. I even bought a new nicer switch and it didn't help at all.

Maybe I just go back to using the Amazon Firestick and throw the Apple in the closet. Not sure if the Firestick supports Atmos on Netflix yet. When I was using it, it did not. Maybe for some reason streaming Atmos on Netflix is especially difficult, while HBO is not?

Running 15.4 beta currently, but haven't tested much since installing; however, watched some Netflix Atmos content at lunch, and the problem is still quite prevalent. Doesn't give much hope for the official 15.4 release.

Back