Watch out if you have a relatively new garage door opener

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
We own 2 liftmaster garage door openers. The push buttons on the wall go bad after about 7 years. When they go bad, they will randomly open and close your garage doors. I've had to replace them 2 times now. We built the house in 08. So we are on our 3rd set of buttons now and it's only been about 15 years.
What happens is they'll open your door while you're asleep or away from home, leaving your garage and all contents available to thieves.
I've read online that this happens with multiple brands. We just had one go out a few months ago and I bought an extra one for my other door. They aren't real cheap either. It's a good thing because the other one went out at about 12:30 am. I was watching tv and heard it open. I was able to replace it fast and fix the problem. There is no warning or way to know when it will go out.
Below are pictures of the front and back of it. The back shows model #.
20230612_005414.jpg

20230612_005443.jpg

Last edited:
These things are absolutely junk. The new ones I just installed have a different model # and are supposed to be better. Hopefully they figured out what was going out and fixed it, but I doubt it. The problem has been around since at least 2008.
The new model # is 889LM. Maybe it's better.

This is a very good point. I'm not sure what brand of switches they use down unda but I've come across quite a number of disasters from other mates who've installed automatic or electric garage doors. They've had issues with the switches, motors and installations as well. Some of the chaps had decent service but the others not so.

Keeping this in mind, when we built our new place in 2019, we didn't opt for electric doors, just stuck with manual. The sales rep lady asked what if it's raining and you need to get out to open and close the doors... well we don't use the garage to park the cars! The cars are outside in the driveway and all our fitness gear is in the garage, plus the bikes and bins. I closed the discussion, if and when the day comes where you no longer have the ability to physically open and close your own garage door, that's a sign you're heading to an age care facility! And that's all she wrote.
We saved close to $800 going manual, it's far easier. Just keep the rollers well lubricated with WD40 and the door can be operated with two fingers. 😉
Easy peasy ebanesy!

Cheers, RJ

This is a very good point. I'm not sure what brand of switches they use down unda but I've come across quite a number of disasters from other mates who've installed automatic or electric garage doors. They've had issues with the switches, motors and installations as well. Some of the chaps had decent service but the others not so.

Keeping this in mind, when we built our new place in 2019, we didn't opt for electric doors, just stuck with manual. The sales rep lady asked what if it's raining and you need to get out to open and close the doors... well we don't use the garage to park the cars! The cars are outside in the driveway and all our fitness gear is in the garage, plus the bikes and bins. I closed the discussion, if and when the day comes where you no longer have the ability to physically open and close your own garage door, that's a sign you're heading to an age care facility! And that's all she wrote.
We saved close to $800 going manual, it's far easier. Just keep the rollers well lubricated with WD40 and the door can be operated with two fingers. 😉
Easy peasy ebanesy!

Cheers, RJ
It's not hard for me to manually open the doors, but the double door is fairly heavy. I'm not sure my little wife could lift it, and she's only 5 foot tall. I know my 4 foot 11 daughter could not. It's a door for two cars and it has extra insulation, so it's big and heavy. The small one car door for my Porsche is easy.
I just figure in another 7 years these will go bad again. I'm hoping we can build a new home before that! I'll probably do some research then and try to find a brand without reports of this happening.
I'd like to know why they start opening and closing the door when they go bad!

Ah yes, in fact I completely missed that. Definitely not all garage doors are made the same and not all occupants are built the same. Our door is a very light chintzy flimsy thing, and on well oiled rollers, sometimes the wifey & kiddo lift it so hard that one day it's going to blow off the roof! In fact, that's when I was thinking if installing an electric one to safe guard from the two girls!

It's quite easy for me (6ft'3 & 105kg) just two fingers that's all. Kiddo is 6ft'2 and can lift a ton, wifey is the badest of all. She's participated in nearly every iron-woman event, total fitness nut and just loves to plonk that door as hard as possible. She says she feels like throwing her 38kg kettle bells in the air whenever she lifts & lowers that door... 🙄 so kiddo has taken after her mum, go figure!

I was asking my tech what's the case with these electric doors. According to him a few factors: erratic weather down unda, one day heavy rain, then hail, then terribly cold and in summer those garage doors are susceptible to extreme heat, sometimes over 50c. Apparently the wiring plus electrics go wonky then starts the switches. Only solution according to him, sealed boxed electric units but they're very pricey. I've seen those installed in some houses and can cost more than the actual door!

Anyway, I do hope you find a reliable solution sooner than later, otherwise we'll have to get ML to make these doors, so that when you have any issues, they'll replace it free of charge under warranty, just like your sub!
Balanced force garage doors... 🤔 not a bad idea.

Cheers mate, RJ

Ah yes, in fact I completely missed that. Definitely not all garage doors are made the same and not all occupants are built the same. Our door is a very light chintzy flimsy thing, and on well oiled rollers, sometimes the wifey & kiddo lift it so hard that one day it's going to blow off the roof! In fact, that's when I was thinking if installing an electric one to safe guard from the two girls!

It's quite easy for me (6ft'3 & 105kg) just two fingers that's all. Kiddo is 6ft'2 and can lift a ton, wifey is the badest of all. She's participated in nearly every iron-woman event, total fitness nut and just loves to plonk that door as hard as possible. She says she feels like throwing her 38kg kettle bells in the air whenever she lifts & lowers that door... 🙄 so kiddo has taken after her mum, go figure!

I was asking my tech what's the case with these electric doors. According to him a few factors: erratic weather down unda, one day heavy rain, then hail, then terribly cold and in summer those garage doors are susceptible to extreme heat, sometimes over 50c. Apparently the wiring plus electrics go wonky then starts the switches. Only solution according to him, sealed boxed electric units but they're very pricey. I've seen those installed in some houses and can cost more than the actual door!

Anyway, I do hope you find a reliable solution sooner than later, otherwise we'll have to get ML to make these doors, so that when you have any issues, they'll replace it free of charge under warranty, just like your sub!
Dual force garage doors... 🤔 not a bad idea.

Cheers mate, RJ
Our doors are thick and heavy to insulate in the winter. The temp never drops below about 40 in there it seems. It can get quite cold here sometimes. Last winter it got down to around 12 below zero Fahrenheit.its been down to 20 below. Ohio has weird weather. It can be over 100 in the summer.

Balanced force garage doors... 🤔 not a bad idea.

Cheers mate, RJ
I'm still into fitness, but its hard with heart failure. I was a bodybuilder. I had my heart attack while squatting 455 lbs for 12 reps. That was my usual load. I suffered a giant blood clot. Found out I have a clotting disorder. It nearly killed me. I was around 235 lbs at 6 foot.

On another note, speaking of garages... I've noticed something, just wanted to check if this is somewhat accurate or not.
When I lived in Chicago, many moons ago, I noticed that the majority of homes actually use their garages to park their cars. Very few use the garage as an entertainment/ home gym centre. For that type of thing they use their basements.

However, over here down unda, very few use their garages for their cars! The majority use them as a store room ( completely full of junk!) Plus pool tables, fitness equipment or even a fully fleged lounge room with aircon and HT systems, light globes and a full disco tech! They rather park their cars outside along the driveway or off road.

Is this the case or have I had too much 🍷 hiccup...Who dat?

On another note, speaking of garages... I've noticed something, just wanted to check if this is somewhat accurate or not.
When I lived in Chicago, many moons ago, I noticed that the majority of homes actually use their garages to park their cars. Very few use the garage as an entertainment/ home gym centre. For that type of thing they use their basements.

However, over here down unda, very few use their garages for their cars! The majority use them as a store room ( completely full of junk!) Plus pool tables, fitness equipment or even a fully fleged lounge room with aircon and HT systems, light globes and a full disco tech! They rather park their cars outside along the driveway or off road.

Is this the case or have I had too much 🍷 hiccup...Who dat?
No, you're right. Can you not really have basements in Australia? Too close to sea level?
We store 3 cars in the garage, that's full, and another in driveway. The garage is for cars and yard equipment. Our HOA won't allow sheds.
We use the basement for entertainment and storage. My gym is there too. In fact I'm lifting now and doing this in between sets.

Last edited:
I'm still into fitness, but its hard with heart failure. I was a bodybuilder. I had my heart attack while squatting 455 lbs for 12 reps. That was my usual load. I suffered a giant blood clot. Found out I have a clotting disorder. It nearly killed me. I was around 235 lbs at 6 foot.
Hot damn! Now that's a "big dog!"
Woof!

Yes, take it easy mate, those younger days put us out of whack. I used to play rugby at national level for New England under 24. Lasted only 6yrs, with multiple dislocations, thankfully no fractures as such, and three concussions! The wifey always says that explains things..., I hung my boots at the age of 23. Got married at 25, have a bloody pot belly 25 more yrs later, and only now I'm looking after my health! I've got a few mates who didn't quite make it, few of them are in wheel chairs, some can't move as freely, and some are really ill. They never opted to look after their health and well-being after they retired from club level sports.

There are days I can very easily put on 4kgs overnight by gobbling up some nice Belgian waffles with Murray River salted caramel ice cream.. oh boy oh boy! and then I get on the scales and go "holy smackers...!" Then I hit the workout session and it takes over several weeks to lose just 2 damn kgs! Those Belgian waffles, they're mighty fine! 😋

Look after your health y'all, it's all we've got. Stats will come and go but health is far more important. So start lifting Daniel son!

Keep safe Rob mate,
RJ

Hot damn! Now that's a "big dog!"
Woof!

Yes, take it easy mate, those younger days put us out of whack. I used to play rugby at national level for New England under 24. Lasted only 6yrs, with multiple dislocations, thankfully no fractures as such, and three concussions! The wifey always says that explains things..., I hung my boots at the age of 23. Got married at 25, have a bloody pot belly 25 more yrs later, and only now I'm looking after my health! I've got a few mates who didn't quite make it, few of them are in wheel chairs, some can't move as freely, and some are really ill. They never opted to look after their health and well-being after they retired from club level sports.

There are days I can very easily put on 4kgs overnight by gobbling up some nice Belgian waffles with Murray River salted caramel ice cream.. oh boy oh boy! and then I get on the scales and go "holy smackers...!" Then I hit the workout session and it takes over several weeks to lose just 2 damn kgs! Those Belgian waffles, they're mighty fine! 😋

Look after your health y'all, it's all we've got. Stats will come and go but health is far more important. So start lifting Daniel son!

Keep safe Rob mate,
RJ
Many sports can be unhealthy when taken to the extreme.

That's a nice dedicated workout space mate. Really tops! I don't have all that gear, just a flat bench, few mats, a rowing machine, and about 100kgs of dumbbells, that's more than adequate. I just realised I need to get an incline bench! My man-boobs are starting to show and the wifey is getting worried 😟... uh oh, look out!

Cheers mate, and most of all keep looking fab! 👌
Woof! RJ

That's a nice dedicated workout space mate. Really tops! I don't have all that gear, just a flat bench, few mats, a rowing machine, and about 100kgs of dumbbells, that's more than adequate. I just realised I need to get an incline bench! My man-boobs are starting to show and the wifey is getting worried 😟... uh oh, look out!

Cheers mate, and most of all keep looking fab! 👌
Woof! RJ
Just get an adjustable like I have along with a rack.

Sitting on the patio that's down off the walkout basement. Listening to my rock speakers. Got Steely Dan on.

20230612_181102.jpg

Whoa! Glad you're still with us.

Oddly enough, I had this same Liftmaster failure about 8 weeks ago, but it was on my back garage door. It also happened after midnight, and I pulled the remote off the wall thinking something must be going haywire with it, and removed the battery. The door *kept* opening and shutting, so I ended up pulling the power cord for the motor.

Since I don't really use that door for anything right now, it's a "back burner, get back to it later" matter. But I'll order two new wall-mount controllers knowing they fail regularly. Thanks for the heads up Robert.

Whoa! Glad you're still with us.

Oddly enough, I had this same Liftmaster failure about 8 weeks ago, but it was on my back garage door. It also happened after midnight, and I pulled the remote off the wall thinking something must be going haywire with it, and removed the battery. The door *kept* opening and shutting, so I ended up pulling the power cord for the motor.

Since I don't really use that door for anything right now, it's a "back burner, get back to it later" matter. But I'll order two new wall-mount controllers knowing they fail regularly. Thanks for the heads up Robert.
Hopefully the new model is better. See if model in the box photo works for your opener. model 889 is the new one. Im not sure what you mean by removing the battery from the remote on the wall. I guess you have one of those remotes on the outside of the door where you can enter a code and open the door? I have one but took it down because I noticed that the flip cover was frequently up in the morning, as if someone was trying to guess the code over night.

So you have the same kind of push button as mine inside the garage? The push buttons just has a pos and neg wire going to it, no battery.

The actual garage door openers are 15 years old, and I guess thats not too bad for an opener. There is no sign of them breaking down, just the stupid push buttons on the wall. I got high horsepower motors, maybe that paid off.

Back