2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. When I first joined this thread I was also using a Marantz. I've had problems even with the new processor, but it's been much less prevalent under the current TvOS release.

I think earlier in the thread we collectively thought it might be related specifically to Marantz / Denon AVRs and processors, but when I switched and still had the problem, I knew it was bigger than that.

Running 15.4 beta currently, but haven't tested much since installing; however, watched some Netflix Atmos content at lunch, and the problem is still quite prevalent. Doesn't give much hope for the official 15.4 release.
Thanks. Bad news, but it's good to know. Part of me thinks they will never fix it, they may not even be trying.

Last edited:
Thanks. Bad news, but it's good to know. Part of me thinks they will never fix it, they may not even be trying.
Yeah I’m beginning to think it will never be fixed. That Apple support thread mentioned someone having engineering see the problem in the logs so they’ve at least identified it’s a problem. Ridiculous they haven’t addressed. Support hasn’t even replied to my last 5 or so emails. Last one I asked for a refund.

Yeah I’m beginning to think it will never be fixed. That Apple support thread mentioned someone having engineering see the problem in the logs so they’ve at least identified it’s a problem. Ridiculous they haven’t addressed. Support hasn’t even replied to my last 5 or so emails. Last one I asked for a refund.
I think they dont care because we are such a small minority of their customers. Its like they are just wanting to write us off rather than fix the problem. If they never fix it, I will never buy another Apple product again. I wont trust them.

Apple is pretty big on Spatial Audio, to the point that the recent Keynote was streamed with an Atmos soundtrack, and the ads clearly are mixed with intense object action.
So I'd expect that many of the geeks that work there would care enough to poke engineering.

Apple is pretty big on Spatial Audio, to the point that the recent Keynote was streamed with an Atmos soundtrack, and the ads clearly are mixed with intense object action.
So I'd expect that many of the geeks that work there would care enough to poke engineering.
So far it's been a year and the problem hasn't gotten any better. Doesn't seem high priority for them. The girl handling my case hasn't called back in nearly 2 months.

So far it's been a year and the problem hasn't gotten any better. Doesn't seem high priority for them. The girl handling my case hasn't called back in nearly 2 months.
Have you tried the technique that I outlined in this post 2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems ?

The more I read about this here and on other forums the more I'm convinced it is a timing glitch of some kind, it’s either on the incoming stream due to networking issues, or handshake related due to delays in response to EDID requests.

they might even be related, for instance if due to networking issues the incoming stream shifts resolutions, one could easily envision the code in the AppleTV requesting the EDID from the TV to make sure that it remains within spec, and if there’s a delay in response from the TV, we now have an audio drop out and re-sync of the MAT 2.0 protocol.

note that networking issues might not be within your own homes network, if your ISP has poor peering to the Netflix service it could be due to congestion on the peering link.

Have you tried the technique that I outlined in this post 2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems ?

The more I read about this here and on other forums the more I'm convinced it is a timing glitch of some kind, it’s either on the incoming stream due to networking issues, or handshake related due to delays in response to EDID requests.

they might even be related, for instance if due to networking issues the incoming stream shifts resolutions, one could easily envision the code in the AppleTV requesting the EDID from the TV to make sure that it remains within spec, and if there’s a delay in response from the TV, we now have an audio drop out and re-sync of the MAT 2.0 protocol.

note that networking issues might not be within your own homes network, if your ISP has poor peering to the Netflix service it could be due to congestion on the peering link.
I dont have a splitter like that.

Im not sure how the apple tv would be responding to the television since the Appletv is plugged into the receiver and then the receiver is plugged into the tv, im not using the ARC plug on it either.

Im leaning toward it being and issue with the stream from Netflix and for some reason the Apple tv isnt able to deal with how the signal comes in. Ive streamed atmos through my 4k player on Netflix just fine and never had an issue. I guess maybe I just go back to using it. The app on it sucks though. Its an older player.

issue with the stream from Netflix
Just to report back on this issue, I have had a ton of crackling on AppleTV+ content over last few days. Not as bad as Netflix, and no dropouts, but it's definitely that same issue.

Just to report back on this issue, I have had a ton of crackling on AppleTV+ content over last few days. Not as bad as Netflix, and no dropouts, but it's definitely that same issue.
Yep. I've had that since day 1 of last year. To me, the problem has never gotten better at all. You're running the latest OS and app updates too, right?

Yep. I've had that since day 1 of last year. To me, the problem has never gotten better at all. You're running the latest OS and app updates too, right?
I am (actually running the 15.4 beta). Been a bit since I've heard it on AppleTV+ content so was surprised at how many times it popped up. Still haven't had it happen on Prime Video Atmos content, although that's probably my least used service in that room, and of that there is very little Atmos.

My update: Archive 81 episode 5 didn't have any audio problems for me, and the processor says it's processing Dolby Atmos.
Ok. Thanks. Very strange indeed. No way to explain any of this.

I was able to watch the first 3 episodes or so without a hitch, but then it started in and persisted during the rest of the series. I could watch it all again and have very little, or it could be worse. It's different every time and totally random. It's got to be something with the software.

My Apple tv is hooked up to ethernet and gets a steady 600 mbps. I've tested its speed and buffer bloat during a period where the sound was screwed up, and everything tests good. I'd run the tests right after it screwed up the sound.

I am (actually running the 15.4 beta). Been a bit since I've heard it on AppleTV+ content so was surprised at how many times it popped up. Still haven't had it happen on Prime Video Atmos content, although that's probably my least used service in that room, and of that there is very little Atmos.
Yes, I have the same experience with HBO Max. I've never had a problem with their atmos, but there isn't a lot of Atmos content on there and so I've not watched as many hours.

I dont have a splitter like that.

Im not sure how the apple tv would be responding to the television since the Appletv is plugged into the receiver and then the receiver is plugged into the tv, im not using the ARC plug on it either.
I think the theory here is that when the EDID data gets passed from the TV through the AVR back to the ATV and there is a glitch in that communication, it kind of "skips a beat" and has to resync, which isn't altogether hard to fathom. But, if true, this newest gen of Apple TV hw/sw either is out of spec, or very tightly within spec and nearly every other device is out. No issues with the 1st gen ATV4k using all the same equipment, e.g. cables, AVR inputs, TV, etc.

Yes, I have the same experience with HBO Max. I've never had a problem with their atmos, but there isn't a lot of Atmos content on there and so I've not watched as many hours.
I just subscribed to HBOMax for the month; I'll see if I can seek out some Atmos content today and see how it goes. But, at this point, I am assuming any Atmos content is going to be subject to the issue on that ATV model/version, especially since Apple's own content has the issue.

I think the theory here is that when the EDID data gets passed from the TV through the AVR back to the ATV and there is a glitch in that communication, it kind of "skips a beat" and has to resync, which isn't altogether hard to fathom. But, if true, this newest gen of Apple TV hw/sw either is out of spec, or very tightly within spec and nearly every other device is out. No issues with the 1st gen ATV4k using all the same equipment, e.g. cables, AVR inputs, TV, etc.
Does the HDMI send a signal from the tv out to the AVR even if you arent using the ARC jack?

I just subscribed to HBOMax for the month; I'll see if I can seek out some Atmos content today and see how it goes. But, at this point, I am assuming any Atmos content is going to be subject to the issue on that ATV model/version, especially since Apple's own content has the issue.
Ok. HBO Max is the only service I have used a decent amount to watch Atmos and never had a hiccup. Ive used Amazon, but have only watched very few shows with it. It was some movies that I purchased on there for streaming. Im not a Prime customer yet, but plan on it once the Lord of the Rings comes out.

Back