Hi, from Ian.... (newbie) Motion 35XTI question, replay levels.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_knight

Reaction score
Hi, I have now fully ran in my Motion 35Xti speakers. I use them on a NAD 368 amplifier using Hires files and CDs.

What I am finding is that the speakers sound extremly good on solo piano, and small chamber works etc. But when playing large orchestral works
at around 95db peaks at my listening position 7ft away the sound gets extremely peaky and harsh on massed violins. The sound becomes compressed, flat and confused.
I am pretty sure this is not my amplifier clipping as it has been fine on less effecient speakers when used at similar levels.
It sounds as though there is something limiting the speakers such as a polyfuse or something in the crossover kicking in until the level as been backed right down to around 65db.

When I had a demonstration in the shop on a 200watt Hifi Rose amplifier playing in a larger room and at louder levels with the same music the speakers sounded great..... Uncompressed, open and dynamic.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Ian.

Hi, I have now fully ran in my Motion 35Xti speakers. I use them on a NAD 368 amplifier using Hires files and CDs.

What I am finding is that the speakers sound extremly good on solo piano, and small chamber works etc. But when playing large orchestral works
at around 95db peaks at my listening position 7ft away the sound gets extremely peaky and harsh on massed violins. The sound becomes compressed, flat and confused.
I am pretty sure this is not my amplifier clipping as it has been fine on less effecient speakers when used at similar levels.
It sounds as though there is something limiting the speakers such as a polyfuse or something in the crossover kicking in until the level as been backed right down to around 65db.

When I had a demonstration in the shop on a 200watt Hifi Rose amplifier playing in a larger room and at louder levels with the same music the speakers sounded great..... Uncompressed, open and dynamic.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Ian.

I may be mistaken because not 100% this is the reason. I experienced a similar problem approx. 12 years ago. When I tried to drive my full range CLS with a relatively lightweight Denon amplifier utilizing the stock inexpensive amplifier cable. Faced with a similar sonic phenomenon when increase the volume to moderate level.

To cut a long story short if you are not using a thick power cable for a New Acoustic Dimension amplifier. Then the problem may disappear if you employ a suitable thick power cable.

Last edited:
Back