Well, my BF 210 has a big problem and I purchased it new in July 2021. Here is what it is doing.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use wireless, Emotiva VSUB, and the ML subs turn off automatically.

Later today I'll measure the output of the Receiver when the processor is in Standby and On.
Ok, maybe my ML wireless unit is defective. It's new too, just bought a few weeks ago and used for 2 days. Odd.

I use wireless, Emotiva VSUB, and the ML subs turn off automatically.

Later today I'll measure the output of the Receiver when the processor is in Standby and On.
Youd think if the emotiva wireless kit works like that, the Martin Logan should too.

Youd think if the emotiva wireless kit works like that, the Martin Logan should too.
It took me a while to measure because the DMM isn't resolving enough, had to hook up the oscilloscope - which I'm not proficient using in this way. I don't have differential probes so common noise is an issue at levels this low. And it took me a while to adjust the settings to resolve the signal enough to read it since it was moving, so I learned some more about scope settings I hadn't used before. This is stuff I haven't needed when tinkering with vintage guitar amps, or measuring max output of audio amps in general.

But, in very rough terms, it's looking like my ML subs turn on from Standby with somewhere in the neighborhood of about 50mV-ish of signal (100mVP-P). I'll hookup the signal generator to get a better idea about this tomorrow. Tonight I was just using a movie and turning up the processor volume, which is a pretty sloppy way of doing this. In any case, it takes very little volume level to get the subs to turn on, which is around -48dB on my processor's volume scale. The opening carrier scene in Top Gun Maverick is 105dB SPL when the volume level is at -15dB.

Something strange happened. Over night last night the sub finally turned off. So in about 1 week, the sub did turn off one night. It also goes periods over 1 hour during the day its not used and never turns off. It did however turn off last night.
It's apparently not the sub, but the wireless kit must be putting out a weak signal, and the sub was able to go into standby mode (red light) at least once.

Robert, this has been enlightening for me as an exercise! Learned more about how to measure really low voltage signals that are down close to the noisy power adapters that power the wireless devices in my room. I had to change what was plugged into which outlets to reduce the common noise. And then I got to use my probes at 1x for the first time, which helped in reducing the noise down to a tolerable level.

So, I just had one sub connected and found the volume level that turns it on from sleeping, which is very close to my first test from over the weekend, -50dB on the volume control. This happens to be 8.3mV Peak, or 16.6mVP-P (Peak to Peak).

Those values in my post above were way off due to all the noise associated with how the scope was setup. Tonight the noise was down to under 5mV so nothing was being masked. Just to be clear, this noise is just what the probes pickup from the devices in the room and plugged in close to the scope, not what is being output from the wireless receiver.

Robert, this has been enlightening for me as an exercise! Learned more about how to measure really low voltage signals that are down close to the noisy power adapters that power the wireless devices in my room. I had to change what was plugged into which outlets to reduce the common noise. And then I got to use my probes at 1x for the first time, which helped in reducing the noise down to a tolerable level.

So, I just had one sub connected and found the volume level that turns it on from sleeping, which is very close to my first test from over the weekend, -50dB on the volume control. This happens to be 8.3mV Peak, or 16.6mVP-P (Peak to Peak).

Those values in my post above were way off due to all the noise associated with how the scope was setup. Tonight the noise was down to under 5mV so nothing was being masked. Just to be clear, this noise is just what the probes pickup from the devices in the room and plugged in close to the scope, not what is being output from the wireless receiver.
So maybe the wireless receiver I have is somehow putting out about 8.3mV most of the day, regardless of it is receiving a signal. Another strange happening today. I went out late morning and the sub was again in standby mode, so it is working now. Its hit or miss, but its going into standby mode sometimes.

No review yet on the PSA sub? I’m anxious to hear your thoughts!
I think I'll write one tomorrow afternoon. I will put it over in the forum for audio other than Martin Logan.
A synopsis, the sub is very impressive and every bit as good as I expected.

Back