What Do You Strive For In A System - Accuracy Or Euphony?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Which side of the fence do you sit on here?

Personally, I just want my system to sound as good with as wide a range of material as possible.. so I probably verge towards the later.

Thoughts on this?

I love the warm, voluptuous sound of my Koetsu, and did not much care for a Benz I auditioned (same price), so I would say that I lean strongly towards euphony.

But then, I realize that perhaps I am not a true audiphile - more and more I find that I do casual listening for the pure pleasure of the music rather than the head-in-a-vise position listening for every nuance.

Euphonically, I would have to say that I strive for accuracy which brings me euphoria, but then again I remember on more that one occasion someone saying to me, Uphony.:D

I want my system to sound as detailed and mellow as possible for if its not mellow you will not listen to the detail.

Last edited:
Accuracy is my main focus, although I do appreciate euphony! If I had to chose (and don't we all, unless we have multiple systems, which I don't), I'd go for accuracy.

I guess the ideal world would be two systems: one which is very accurate, to get the most of of the best recordings, and a euphonic one which makes the best of the not so good recordings.

Let's see, tubes and vinyl. I lean towards pleasant sound above all. I like euphony with detail but is I had to pick one I'd pick euphony. Lovely sound is better to me than gobs of unlistenable detail.

I think it begs the question "just what the hell is accurate?". I think alot of people confuse problematic systems with "it's accurate, that's why it sounds cr*p with this recording". In a lot of cases, it's just a bad system.

And given that pretty much every system you hear is different, accuracy is a hopeless cause. If they all sound different, which is the accurate one?

Hmm....

I think alot of people confuse problematic systems with "it's accurate, that's why it sounds cr*p with this recording". In a lot of cases, it's just a bad system.

I think a lot of the time it is a bad recording.

Let’s see, which side do I land on?

On the one hand, I own two sets of calibrated measurement mics and own three different measurement software packages plus a Pro room correction kit and obsess over room setup and treatments.

On the other, I tweak my speaker processor, effects and EQ to suit my mood, such as adding Sub-harmonic synthesis to old recordings.

So does that make me accurately euphonic?

Whatever, I really like the sound in my system :)

I just like a lot of musical information presented to convey emotions of the performance and for the equipment not to present a sonic signature. It took a lot of auditioning and a while to figure this out. My equipment is the modern (vs. the romantic) CJ.

I prefer an euphonic sound over an accurate sound. But then do you really have to sacrifice accuracy to have euphony? Accuracy without euphony becomes boring to me after awhile.

Let’s see, which side do I land on?

On the one hand, I own two sets of calibrated measurement mics and own three different measurement software packages plus a Pro room correction kit and obsess over room setup and treatments.

On the other, I tweak my speaker processor, effects and EQ to suit my mood, such as adding Sub-harmonic synthesis to old recordings.

So does that make me accurately euphonic?

Whatever, I really like the sound in my system :)

Hmm... "I spend all my time, money and effort trying to make sure my system has a flat in-room response. Then I b*gg*er it all up because I like the EQ effects."

Cool.;)

To me, an accurate system is one which faithfully reproduces what's recorded on the source medium.
How does one know what the source medium is supposed to sound like? Furthermore, the information on the source medium went through a mastering process where the mastering engineers use lots of special equipments. The mastering engineers rely on digital software as well as what they hear in the studio to produce the results. Therein lies the problem... How do we rate the system they listen to? Was it an accurate or euphonic system? And we've come full circle back to square one! :duh:

Spike

Back