Building Custom Home Theater

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And views of the front and rear of the room in its current condition…
The screen wall is looking good.

What will you put over the drywall in the wells between the speakers?

The non-screen portion, will it be covered in fabric?

What's the plug made of ? I guess you'll put something over top of that to blend in with the wall? Looks effective.
The plug is constructed of plywood and bracing and filled with rockwool insulation. It is sized for a tight fit (1/8” gap all around) with felt strips on the outside so the wood doesn’t actually contact the window frame. It will be caulked in place to seal it. All walls will be covered in fabric. That’s why the plugs are painted black. Everything will be painted flat black so you don’t get the background flashing through the fabric. Basically, when you walk in my theater, you will have no idea these windows and door exists. All you will see are fabric walls.

The screen wall is looking good.

What will you put over the drywall in the wells between the speakers?

The non-screen portion, will it be covered in fabric?
Thanks, Jon. Yes, the screen wall will be covered in speaker fabric. The drywall area around the front speakers will be covered with a 2” thick cotton absorption mat. I forget the brand name of the one I’m using.

Edit: found it… Soundaway Ultraliner sound blanket. UltraLiner Sound Blanket - Premium Sound Absorbing Blankets

Last edited:
Rich, the house is looking fantastic. I do know how it totally consumes all of your time when the details start becoming important.

Look forward to the next pictures and update.

The plug is constructed of plywood and bracing and filled with rockwool insulation. It is sized for a tight fit (1/8” gap all around) with felt strips on the outside so the wood doesn’t actually contact the window frame. It will be caulked in place to seal it. All walls will be covered in fabric. That’s why the plugs are painted black. Everything will be painted flat black so you don’t get the background flashing through the fabric. Basically, when you walk in my theater, you will have no idea these windows and door exists. All you will see are fabric walls.
Sounds great. Does the fabric have a role in sound too, and not just for looks? I'm guessing it's a special type of fabric? I've never heard of that before.
I'm assuming you had the walls built to decouple them? I'm just familiar with the process by some articles I've read but have zero experience with it. If I ever get around to building again, I will have a local shop help me with that.
You're going to have an end game theater!

Sounds great. Does the fabric have a role in sound too, and not just for looks? I'm guessing it's a special type of fabric? I've never heard of that before.
I'm assuming you had the walls built to decouple them? I'm just familiar with the process by some articles I've read but have zero experience with it. If I ever get around to building again, I will have a local shop help me with that.
You're going to have an end game theater!
The fabric is acoustically transparent. Which just means sound waves can pass through it with minimal loss. And yes, the walls and ceiling are decoupled. And the communicating entry doors are soundproof. They weigh 400 lbs. each!

The fabric is acoustically transparent. Which just means sound waves can pass through it with minimal loss. And yes, the walls and ceiling are decoupled. And the communicating entry doors are soundproof. They weigh 400 lbs. each!
Dang, never heard of 400 lb doors! What the heck are they made of?

Thanks, Jon. Yes, the screen wall will be covered in speaker fabric. The drywall area around the front speakers will be covered with a 2” thick cotton absorption mat. I forget the brand name of the one I’m using.

Edit: found it… Soundaway Ultraliner sound blanket. UltraLiner Sound Blanket - Premium Sound Absorbing Blankets

I would utilize the opportunity of having the chance to start from the scratch and setup my HT to be able to accommodate the latest and greatest in DRC - either Trinnov WaveForming (which requires a lot of subs and Trinnov) or Dirac ART (which requires full range speakers also in surround)

Sound quality of those 2 solutions is quantum leap over everything else.
It also changes the requirements for acoustic treatments, as it completely removes all the room modes.

I would utilize the opportunity of having the chance to start from the scratch and setup my HT to be able to accommodate the latest and greatest in DRC - either Trinnov WaveForming (which requires a lot of subs and Trinnov) or Dirac ART (which requires full range speakers also in surround)

Sound quality of those 2 solutions is quantum leap over everything else.
It also changes the requirements for acoustic treatments, as it completely removes all the room modes.
I will be using a Trinnov processor branded under JBL (SDP-75). But unfortunately I designed the theater prior to Trinnov coming out with WaveForming, and additional subs are not in the picture. Hopefully, Trinnov comes up with a way for their technology to work well with four subs in the room corners.

I will be using a Trinnov processor branded under JBL (SDP-75). But unfortunately I designed the theater prior to Trinnov coming out with WaveForming, and additional subs are not in the picture. Hopefully, Trinnov comes up with a way for their technology to work well with four subs in the room corners.

My "insider" info from Trinnov - it will come also for non-perfect setups, albeit bit later [1-2 years] and Harman setup will be supported - although with trade-off of the smaller area for control [perfect MLP but higher seat-to-seat variance]

Also - if you get your theatre calibrated by JBL for SFM, you will not be far away re quality of the sound.

BTW - my theatre will get Early Access to WaveForming in the next 2-3 weeks. So I will have some news. My current Double Bass Array is big step up from previous iterations, and WF should be "Better DBA"

The JBL variant you are getting can do SFM, which is Harmans MultiSub Optimizer. With your layout, should deliver great results, especially considering the room treatments as well.

Dang, never heard of 400 lb doors! What the heck are they made of?
I would guess the main structure is MDF. I don't know what they look like but MDF is quite heavy per sqft. Its available up to 2" thick at most suppliers.
I built mid bass speaker cabinets for a friend out of 2 layers of 3/4". They were 26" x 13" x 20" and weighed 130 lbs.
Those doors will probably work very well at stopping sound transmission.

Last edited:
Back