What piece of music do you use to gauge your system by?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks, you’ve got my interest level way up on the MIDI instruments. Any suggestions of any recordings on either vinyl or that can be found on Qobuz? I don’t have a disc player in my 2 channel system.

I think you'll find them in some capacity on pretty much any album - but maybe not played to the same level of proficiency ??

Before MIDI, there was the Fairlight CMI, which again - more-or-less is the definition of the sound of 1980s pop music.

For above, James Morrison has many albums, mostly standard trumpet:
https://www.discogs.com/release/7347860-James-Morrison-Scream-Machine

I think you'll find them in some capacity on pretty much any album - but maybe not played to the same level of proficiency ??

Before MIDI, there was the Fairlight CMI, which again - more-or-less is the definition of the sound of 1980s pop music.

Yes in researching this I’ve seen numerous artists that have the MIDI instruments in use, I’ll be listening to some James Morrison material for sure.

I have a pair of Sequels which I bought new a few months after they were released. I think I paid $1950. :) 3rd re-panel now. Kimber TC8 speaker wires.

Mirage BPS 400 sub with LFX-1 crossover. I use it judiciously just enough to support the lowest bass frequencies.

CAT Signature MkIII (with Mullard, Amperex and other NOS tubes)

ARC D70 MkII

Several CD players including a Philips CD880 that I bought new, a Marantz CD-94 MkII and a ML 390S. I keep saying I am going to pick one but never get around to it.

Yamaha PX-2 with Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge.

Nakamichi CR7A

Magnum Dynalab 105T

I use Toroid Corp ISB-120A Medical Grade Isolation Transformers on AC except on speakers I use Tripletts.

Various ICs (none over $200 / M) and Black Sands Audio Violet Z1 power cords (good bang for the buck).

I listen to a wide range of music from folk and classic rock to jazz and classical on vinyl and CD. I especially like female vocalists in all genres.
That’s a very nice system indeed! My system had the last piece of the puzzle put in when I got my Odysseys about a year and a half ago and put new panels on them, as well as going to active crossover for the woofers as well as replacing said woofers. I recently re cabled the whole system and I couldn't be happier! I’m now just enjoying the music good, great, or not so great recordings I’m enjoying the music!!! The specific components are in the systems thread.

Yep, there are many brilliant James Morrison albums. If you love great jazz, you will certainly enjoy.

There was a time when the Fairlight CMI was so ubiquitous that there were actually artists who would specifically write "there is no fairlight on this album", such as famously Phil Collins on his "No Jacket Required" album.

Ironically, it turned out not to be true. There were samples of <something??> on the album, which funnily enough were originally generated on a Fairlight !

1693976218707.png

Back