Nordost- Making the Connection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dog RJ

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
G'day maties, finally making the connection!

I was looking for my earlier posts referring to Nordost accessories, couldn't quite locate it... so thought I'd start a new one and keep it to all things Nordost. I'm now wondering if it's about making the connection or actually making the right decision.

Oh boy, let's see now... what does a couple grand in AC power distribution get you? Well, it will deliver superb clarity, definition and a truck load of finesse! This is the Qbase-8 MKII (Aus 10A version) that I had ordered, and finally arrived! Comparing both the MKI and MKII side by side, there's hardly any difference cosmetically that is. But when you actually hold the MKII in your hands, there's definitely something special about it. The build quality and finish is superb! Simply outstanding, there's nothing to fault other than further upgrade to the MK3 IF you really need to go there. That's another grand or two, so all up about 4grand.

What the MK3 does is offer 20Amp outlets along with the high grade audiophile fuse supplied by Nordost (which is also found on the MKII). The MK3 is mostly suited for high power applications. By high power, I'm referring to amperage not power in watts. If you plan on installing 20Amp circuits or a dedicated 20Amp AC line to your AC mains board of your house, only then will the MK3 power board come to full potential.

The MKII comes supplied in two versions, either 15Amp or 10Amp. So again, unless you happen to have a dedicated 15Amp AC line, getting the higher amperage is of no use. So I simply ordered what the house grid rating is. Since I've already installed a dedicated AC line for the Audio system, which is 10Amp, that's MORE than adequate for domestic Hifi. This is not a rock concert or a live gig.

Performance can be based on three critical factors:
1. Further Quietness
2. Full 3D Openness and transparency
3. Limitless dynamics

These three factors were very good even on the MKI version, I had absolutely no flaws with that one. However, the MKII takes those factors to another level, which I didn't think was possible. The MK3 is supposed to be further up there but I'll draw the line with this one, and my grid is not wired for 20Amps in any case.

Overall performance: is the pricing justified?..., not sure about this, simply because the difference from the MKI version to the MKII is not 40%. I would say somewhere around the 20%. I've discussed this with Nordost at length and their general advice has been that if after all these add-ons in accessories doesn't yield significant improvements then the system has achieved its full potential / synergy. Going further than that will see 10 - 15% marginal improvements or even less.
So, for those thinking of upgrading from the MKI version to the MKII, yes it's worthwhile only if you really must. Other than that, the MKI is good enough.

At this particular stage where my system has been developed over the years, since using a full Nordost power loom and its AC power related accessories, I think I'll draw the line at this point. With this particular item along with the other AC accessories I'm using from Nordost, has taken the performance of the CLX's to full flight.
Now I'm thinking of that fine CLX system of where our esteemed members have placed in the Odin Reference Gold2 series along with various Nordost AC line units... oh boy, sky's the limit!

When the wifey saw this thing, she commented, "Oh another toy eh... what's the big deal?" Then I played a few of her regular tunes, Tracy Chapman, Lizz Wright and Sam Smith... then she said, "OK" and went to bed and that's all she wrote. Phew! So for a couple grand it wasn't the dog house after all. It's only when that spend goes overboard it's either the doggy den or ducky pond, SO this time doggy gets a bone!

Cheers to Nordost! And do enjoy those very fine tunes.

*Note*
I very very highly recommend this product, especially for ML Stat owners. The level of transparency, detail, soundstage depth and musicality with finesse is supreme!

WOOF!!! RJ

Attachments

• 20240409_200135.jpg
    20240409_200135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240409_200040.jpg
    20240409_200040.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240409_194617.jpg
    20240409_194617.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240409_204501.jpg