What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuck at home with my wife recouping from some eye surgery. Today it's Eric Clapton "Me & Mr. Johnson" then Little Feat "Rad Gumbo":rocker: Streaming on Tidal

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.10.26 AM.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/The-Tangent-The-World-That-We-Drive-Through/release/5176123

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon SACD with a nice Wisconsin craft beer. Still one of the best 45ish minutes you can spend. Saw Roger Waters a few months ago, still an entertaining show.

Melody Gardot Some Lessons- Bedroom Sessions

First CD recorded while in her hospital bed after the accident.

Very well recorded 7 song album.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 170
Lunatic Soul day - I just received the latest from him, Under The Fragmented Sky, which is an EP continuation of the amazing Fractured album.

These two albums are a beautiful set of Prog Rock music, with extra helping of atmospheric and electronica on Under The Fragmented Sky. On the later, the production is so rich that when played back using the Dolby Surround upmixer to go to a full 5.4.4, it is so immersive, you'd swear the recording was a true multichannel original.

Since the protagonist is a bass player and that's the lead instrument, make sure your mid-bass is well implemented. On my system, especially since the new mid-bass modules were deployed, it is is amazing. The tactile sensation of some of the bass-guitar plucks really adds to the 'feeling' without having to over-crank the volume.

Anyway, if you like Steven Wilson, Riverside or just plain good soulful prog, these are must-haves. They make the MLs shine.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 71qE-ncUPNL._SL1200_.jpg
    71qE-ncUPNL._SL1200_.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 352
  • 710z7ppvTaL._SL1200_.jpg
    710z7ppvTaL._SL1200_.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
ZEBRA

I havent been here in years. Im thinking about going back to ML so I thought I'd log in. And what do I see? My favorite band of all time. Growing up on Long Island I was able to see them 12+ times. From bars to opening up for Kiss.
A few years ago my wife contacted Randy and was planning on having his do an acoustic set for my 50th. Hes was a gentleman and the fee was not to bad. I ended up flying out of state for the big day and regret that decision still.

Good to be back

Found a very cool SACD, featuring Lisa Gerrard (Dead can Dance, collaborates with Hans Zimmer, solo projects) and the Mystery Of The Bulgarian Voices ensemble. As you all know, vocals shine on ESLs, so this will show of your gear nicely. But buy it for the music, it is sublime.
The recording is crystal clear and the SACD let's you hear every detail

Link to the SACD version on Amazon ($24): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BF3T9HM/

There is an $11 regular CD version as well.

Boochemish SACD.jpg

ZEBRA

I havent been here in years. Im thinking about going back to ML so I thought I'd log in. And what do I see? My favorite band of all time. Growing up on Long Island I was able to see them 12+ times. From bars to opening up for Kiss.
A few years ago my wife contacted Randy and was planning on having his do an acoustic set for my 50th. Hes was a gentleman and the fee was not to bad. I ended up flying out of state for the big day and regret that decision still.

Good to be back

WOW.. that is awesome!!! Great story.

Atmos BluRay - Booka Shade - Galvanny Street

First, it's one of what we hope is a growing number of mixes done in Atmos, the fully immersive surround format.

I like this disc because it has a lot of variety in styles (while still being uniformly club / electronica tinged), and has pristine audio quality along with very creative use of the 3D soundfield, making it a good demo disc for those with Atmos setups.

While I usually favor Prog, I dig most flavors of music, and I really like contemporary Tangerine Dream albums, so Electronica fused with various styles can be good in my book.

This is a melting pot album, but mostly it's upbeat stuff with very creative mixing, and the use of Atmos to deliver a really immersive experience is quite impressive. This is (no pun intended) synthetic music, so sounds can be anywhere the creative team wants, and on this album they use it very creatively. Always blends with the music, but definitely in non-traditional ways.

You'll need a good system to get the most out of this one. I have four subs, and on tracks like 'Eyes Open', they get quite the workout. My feet are still tingling from the shaking floor.
The soundfield , dynamics and clarity are amazing, this disc is truly demo worthy.

This album visits multiple styles, so something for everyone here.This one will be in rotation for the next few months for sure. Recommended!

Booka Shade - Galvanny Street - Atmos mixes

5178%2B-fTlaL.jpg

I've been on a big Jason Isbell kick again. He is musical meth, I can't quit him.

Norah Jones - come away with me SACD, and a glass of Octomore (Islay single malt, heavily peated, not for the faint of heart).

Attachments

• 1B3E0F6D-06B9-48A4-A11E-D306E2CBDF39.jpg
    1B3E0F6D-06B9-48A4-A11E-D306E2CBDF39.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thanks for introducing me to him. 'If we were vampires' is such a simple and beautiful song.

He is one of the best songsmiths of this generation, and he can shed a guitar as well as sing. Dudes the total package. Check out his album "Southeastern", best record I have heard since Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky" IMO. The song Elephant will make a grown man cry, promise.
Here is a brief review with my photos of his Red Rocks show on Labor Day: http://www.listenupdenver.com/49442/jason-isbell-september-3rd-red-rocks-amphitheatre/

Lake Street Dive is another rising star to watch for, the lead singer is next level. She has the pipes of Adele with the soul of Amy Winehouse. The band is equally talented, their songs have a stick with you quality. I am a sucker for the fat full round bottom end the standup bass brings to the mix, not many new contemporary bands are playing a standup these days...I dig it. I would check out their "Bad Self Portraits" album from 2014 first, it's powerful. I just shot their Red Rocks show last Thursday, hands down the greatest vocal performance I have ever witnessed live.

Last edited:
Lake Street Dive is another rising star to watch for, the lead singer is next level. She has the pipes of Adele with the soul of Amy Winehouse. The band is equally talented, their songs have a stick with you quality. I am a sucker for the fat full round bottom end the standup bass brings to the mix, not many new contemporary bands are playing a standup these days...I dig it. I would check out their "Bad Self Portraits" album from 2014 first, it's powerful. I just shot their Red Rocks show last Thursday, hands down the greatest vocal performance I have ever witnessed live.

To put my money where my mouth is:

It isn't often I am completely overwhelmed by a performance...but this night floored me like few others have done. If you haven't heard, Lake Street Dive is your next favorite band, check out the photos and review, and then go buy their records!!!
http://www.listenupdenver.com/49650/lake-street-dive-september-6th-red-rocks-amphitheatre/

You can thank me later. :)

Back