Spikes vs. Gaia Isolation Feet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerneil

Reaction score
I have ML Montis speakers and my room sits on a concrete slab, with a heavy carpet pad and carpet. I purchased Gaia Isolation Feet and installed them as feet on the bottom of my Montis speakers. I had read good reviews on them and I feel like they probably aid in reducing vibration through the floor, which could be transmitted to my turntable. I have read countering opinions on whether to use spikes or isolation devices on the bottom of these speakers and I would love to hear opinions from others on this forum who have experimented with both options.

My Technics SL1200G turntable sits on the top of my heavy-duty component rack, which is located on the fireplace hearth. This hearth is very heavy duty concrete slab, and is located between and slightly behind my speakers. Mounting the turntable on a wall bracket is not an option for my room.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240426_070114.jpg
    20240426_070114.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
What a night and day difference when I placed Gaia 1's under my 15A's on a hard voided floor. But a word of caution, these ML speakers are difficult to set up (i.e move) with Gaia's in place. So I placed small pieces of cloth underneath to facilitate movement but regretfully the fabric is still in place two years later seaching for utopia.

Another very satisfied user of the Gaia II on my re-paneled Odysseys, also on a hardwood floor surface on a voided floor. Everything tightened up nicely and they are very detailed with the Gaia feet.

Last edited:
I'm also a fan of GAIA footers!

Got a demo of them at AXPONA 2019, bought 'em at the show with the expectation of returning them, tried 'em, loved what they did, kept 'em! Frankly, I would have kept them just for the looks and ease of moving the speakers.

Mine are on 69 year old hardwood flooring. The floor stopped playing along with the music so more detail comes through improving the soundstage, and the 69 year old windows stopped rattling.

I initially bought them for the main speakers, but I bought more for my subwoofers.

Roger that captain! Use the Gaia II's on my CLX's with very positive results. Areas of improvement:
1. Solid footing / placement, far less swing effect of panels.
2. Being more solid, resulted in better inner detail, far more definition in soundstage.
3. The imaging and focus aspects improved.
4. Virtually zero vibrations or I would say close to nothing.

With the above improvements, this also allowed the TT rig to operate with absolute quietness. The other contributing factor is the difference in the floors. This is our new place and was built around 2019 and I moved in November to set things up. This flooring was concrete slab right throughout with ceramic tiles as main flooring area, no carpeting at all, other than only in the bedrooms. I purposely wanted it designed this way mainly due to the Gaia's suspension system and the way it handles vibrations on hard surfaces.

After lengthy discussions with a few tech guru's on the subject of coupling & decoupling, it all depends on what type of flooring you have. In our previous apartment, the flooring was wooden floor boards right throughout, with wall to wall carpeting in every area, except the kitchen area of course. Due to this soft surface structure, the Gaia's suspension system doesn't work optimally compared to hard surfaces.

Under each of the Gaia's, there's a hard rubber like surface, which when placed on a hard surface, it has a strong suction like effect that clamps down the Gaia's to the floor, making it a solid footing. Hence, in the case of soft surfaces, like carpeting, this footing doesn't quite hold solid because it's soft... so there's a sort of bouncy feel to it. The swing factor of the stats' panels seems to be greater unlike when placed on hard surfaces.

The bigger the panels, the greater the swing factor, and CLX's are big stats, so they will tend to swing more than smaller stat panels or hybrids. For example, Maggie's are notorious with high swing factors. Just nudging them with one finger at the top can make them sway back & forth very easily. In the case of ML stats, you have to use bit more force because they're well designed but still do have a minute swing.

So, in my particular system and room setup, I found that the Gaia's suspension system and solid footing, worked optimally when placed on hard floors, and the best is actually concrete finished with tiles. Now, I'm not saying that this is a must have flooring design for high performance speakers. Every person's room and setup is very different, not a single one would ever be identical.

Therefore, use whichever isolation system proves to be more effective in your particular room. When I had the Quad ESL's in our previous place with floorboards and carpeting, I found that spikes proved more effective. Same with CLX's, I used the supplied spikes on carpeting. It was only after we moved into our new place, that I switched to the Gaia's and realised significant changes as listed above.

The Iso Acoustics Gaia's are a well designed product and vfm, compared to the many other crazy priced gizmo's out there, which claim to do black magic! I think such accessories are all voodoo until proven otherwise.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Last edited:
I started with Gaia II's under my Summits, then put 3 of their isolators under my Focus center channel, then Gaia 3's under my Aeon surrounds. I am still adding isolators under all the electronic components in both my ML based surround system and in my Harbeth/REL based stereo system. When I can afford them I will put more under my ML BF 212 and my REL S510's. This is NOT snake oil and these things improve the sound under every component I have isolated.

I started with Gaia II's under my Summits, then put 3 of their isolators under my Focus center channel, then Gaia 3's under my Aeon surrounds. I am still adding isolators under all the electronic components in both my ML based surround system and in my Harbeth/REL based stereo system. When I can afford them I will put more under my ML BF 212 and my REL S510's. This is NOT snake oil and these things improve the sound under every component I have isolated.
Tonyc: Do you have carpet, and if so did you add the carpet spikes under the Gaia's?

I agree with you Tonyc, I use a lot of Isoacoustics products. I have Isoacoustics Delos platforms under both of my turntables as well as an Isoacoustics Zazen platform under my tube phono preamp.

I am sure some of our members can get into the "finite element analysis" that might apply here, but:
For a concrete floor, I would use spikes and drive them through the carpet/pad to the slab. Same for equipment rack feet, etc. Reason is, you will not get (audibly) noticeable resonances in a multi-thousand pound slab due to acoustic feedback (in the context of a home audio system). It's different with wood floor, void or other, as the flooring components themselves all have resonances that could coincide with audio-spectrum frequencies.

For myself, I've taken that a bit further and use 100lb+ slabs (concrete, terracotta, slate, whatever I can get hold of) and use that as a "base" for my speakers, even on upper level floors (wood-framed house)

I am sure some of our members can get into the "finite element analysis" that might apply here, but:
For a concrete floor, I would use spikes and drive them through the carpet/pad to the slab. Same for equipment rack feet, etc. Reason is, you will not get (audibly) noticeable resonances in a multi-thousand pound slab due to acoustic feedback (in the context of a home audio system). It's different with wood floor, void or other, as the flooring components themselves all have resonances that could coincide with audio-spectrum frequencies.

For myself, I've taken that a bit further and use 100lb+ slabs (concrete, terracotta, slate, whatever I can get hold of) and use that as a "base" for my speakers, even on upper level floors (wood-framed house)
👍 This is right on the money!!!!

It makes perfect sense for speakers with 3 spikes, getting 4 spikes right on the stone slab is quite tough, you can be still left with small vibrations, as one spike will be not 100% aligned with the others.

Actually it is always interesting to realize how different conditions people have - e.g. our flat is reinforced concrete all over, including walls, concrete/insulation/concrete/wood sandwich as a floor. I had spikes on additional stone slab, and afterwards I realised, that biggest change was height of the speaker and vertical listening angle.

I can not find initial article, but this is reference to it in audioholics - it was interesting how spikes and any de-coupled measure differently, also you have different needs with speakers with opposing woofers [like ML Masterpiece vs lot of woofers on the front baffle]

https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/isoacoustics-gaia-isolators-review

It makes perfect sense for speakers with 3 spikes, getting 4 spikes right on the stone slab is quite tough, you can be still left with small vibrations, as one spike will be not 100% aligned with the others.
Yeah, I actually started with my 100lb slabs on my SL3s and Aerius... I think it was the SL3s that had 3 spike receptacles for just the reason you mention, @Fidji99.

Back