Summit discontinued?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I was at the ML site today playing around with the speaker configurator and it said right there in bold letters: Summit-discontinued.

Starting rumours is not something I would prefer to do. I'm wondering if the special order option is discontinued or the line itself.

Anybody heard about or seen this?

Gordon

Wow! Configurator says it right there, in black and white... DISCONTINUED. Also of note, the CLX in Aniline Red does not show up anywhere on the website... only the black or aluminum options. With ML now offering the Designer line on Amazon, it seems the mid-fi market is their continued focus. :mad:

Attachments

• summit_dc.JPG
    summit_dc.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 769
I guess those salivating after Summits may find some deals very soon on remaining stock!

Well with the Spire being exactly like them minus one woofer they figure its as good a time to make a marketing move! The Spires sound 90% like the Summit. at 1/3 less they are counting on selling a few of them and a few CLX. I really like the Summit, but they are looking at the economy and many 10k+ speakers are not selling. So they want to sell the CLX , they do not need inter brand competition that makes the CLX hard to sell. That was the real issue with the CLS . It was and is great but they had the Quest and the ReQuest that were good and easier to drive ! Made for less sales of the CLS !;)

Since they're now discontinued I wonder what the discount is. That's assuming there is a clearance discount. History shows they typically discount discontinued products to clear the shelves.

Although, when the Descent i and Depth i came out the older models weren't really discounted until the last few and they went fast.

No official word from ML, but the Summit has been out since January 2005 and due for a new iteration.

In the past, every time a new flagship speaker is launched, the line is soon updated. Statement led to Prodigy, which led to Odyssey, Ascent, and so on...

CLX and Spire is here, so I'm thinking if you put those two together, we'll have the Summit X.

My guess is that it'll have the "double diaphram, triple stator" design/technology of the CLX....

I will try to get more info on my trip to Lawrence next week.

Tom.

Since I'm fighting an episode of "Joey-itis" this seems to make a decision more difficult.

I was waiting to hear some pros and cons on the Spire since the value seems a no brainer compared to the Summit. It would that appear if there are going to be clearance prices, the Summit may be the logical choice, even if it would be a little large size wise for our room. Then on the other hand, if a Summit i is produced, will the price be more near 14-15k to fill the hole between the Spire and CLX.

So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. Maybe nothing and just enjoy what I have and let this shake out or maybe I should just buy the CLX. Just kidding.

Gordon

Hrm... I wonder what's going on...

What's going on is that your Summits will be obsolete this fall and you'll need to upgrade to the Summit X.

:devil:

You can sell me your Summits at a "I love the Prez of MLC site" discount!!

bwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!

Three scenarios, me thinks

1) Electronic upgrade, which can hopefully be installed by the user. Summit I.

2) Same as 1) but needs to sent back to the factory or dealer.

3) New speaker incorporating technology from the CLS X and priced between the Summit and the CLS X.

Frankly, all scenarios are fine with me. 1) and 2) should be relatively painless if one desires to do so.

Scenario 3) suggests that the current Summit will attain a special status, over time, that would have otherwise not occured.

I love the Summit and have no issue with its apparent discontinuation.

GG

Scenario 3) suggests that the current Summit will attain a special status, over time, that would have otherwise not occured.

I love the Summit and have no issue with its apparent discontinuation.

GG

Regardless of which scenario pans out The Summit will always have a special status.....

It pioneered several ground breaking ESL technology firsts.

It put a near $30K quality level speaker in many peoples living rooms for $10K, People who would never have been able to afford that level of performance otherwise, myself included.

It made the whole audio world once again sit up and take notice of Martin Logan

Last edited:
What's going on is that your Summits will be obsolete this fall and you'll need to upgrade to the Summit X.

You can sell me your Summits at a "I love the Prez of MLC site" discount!!

bwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!

REEEEAL funny haha Tom! You just wait... when you get to ML hq, they'll unveil a non-working CLX for you and I'll have the last laugh...

You just wait.. :devil:

It will be a lesson in self discipline !

Tom's lecture before he leaves for Lawrence.

"I am just going to look and listen! They need a honest review of the new CLX speaker from me"

Tom's return speech.....

"The nice people at Martin Logan said that I was so good at listening to these that I needed them in my house for a better review"

one month later .......

Hey Tom! whats this deal with this 2nd mortgage payment book we just received?

Tom's escape

Oh its for the new water and sewer that the county is putting in and taxing us on :eek:....Don't worry about it !

one day later ...

Lets see ,..........If I just open the back up a tiny bit I think they will fit inside !

Attachments

• dog house.jpg
    dog house.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 444

Latest posts

Back