ML EM ESL & Smoke??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmimis1

Reaction score
Hi...

Being quite new to ML, I recently purchased a pair of Electromotion ESLs...

One quick question...

I'm a heavy smoker, please don't judge... if I could quit I would !!! :(

My question is, I understand that ESL panels attract smoke and dirt. I have even started vacuuming them once a week (don't know if this is too much or please tell me if it will cause any issues)

So how much harm is being done with the cigarette smoke, what kind of signs will I see, or hear if there is a issue with smoke and how much exposure (or time) will it take for issues to arise, if they do. ?

ML only states that smoke may turn the panel film to a yellowish color, but I'm guessing that may not be the only case.

Thanks a lot !!

Hi...

Being quite new to ML, I recently purchased a pair of Electromotion ESLs...

One quick question...

I'm a heavy smoker, please don't judge... if I could quit I would !!! :(

My question is, I understand that ESL panels attract smoke and dirt. I have even started vacuuming them once a week (don't know if this is too much or please tell me if it will cause any issues)

So how much harm is being done with the cigarette smoke, what kind of signs will I see, or hear if there is a issue with smoke and how much exposure (or time) will it take for issues to arise, if they do. ?

ML only states that smoke may turn the panel film to a yellowish color, but I'm guessing that may not be the only case.

Thanks a lot !!

The good news: Vacuuming them often shouldn't hurt them.

The rest of the news: Smoke will bugger them up big time, and quickly.

If you smoke in your house you will no doubt be aware of the filthy sticky yellow slime on everything.

Those contaminants will not only be all over your panels, but attracted to the panels.

The residue and gunk is sticky, which will in turn make other contaminants (like dust and anything else) stick to the panel that would otherwise just rest on the surface. And because it is stickly like honey, it will be impossible to remove with vacuuming or any other method like it otherwise would be.

This will create two issues
1. Weigh the ES membrane down so that it can no longer move and respond to the signal
2. Reduce conductivity on the panel, so there is less force available to move the already weighed-down membrane.

The result will initially be heard in the form of loss of high frequencies, then loss of the entire panel.

Oh, and any speaker that has been exposed to cigarette smoke will have about half the value of a normal speaker.

Last edited:
Everything Adam said and BTW, you CAN quit !

Hola,

Yes to all, the tar of the cigarette is a very bad thing to the stat panels. They will deteriorate very fast as your lungs. The tar is the most harmful thing to the stat membrane and to your lungs! Its time to quit smoking and have the best sound for your entertainment.
Happy listening!

I agree with all the previous. The sound will tarnish much too quickly. If the speakers are in a special room free from contaminants, then no problem.

I agree with all the previous. The sound will tarnish much too quickly. If the speakers are in a special room free from contaminants, then no problem.

Cigarette smoke does not miraculously stay out of some rooms and not others. It would have to be a separate building.

Back