2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently joined the ATV 4k club knowing this problem occurs. Whats really frustrating for me is my Apple is constantly streaming Apple Music video, so even when Im watching directly with my Samsung Frame inputing into my NAD my sound cuts out. I now unplug my ATV to keep it from interfering when not using it. Has anyone else experienced this issue when not using the input from ATV ? Seems like my NAD still listens and gets messed up.

Recently joined the ATV 4k club knowing this problem occurs. Whats really frustrating for me is my Apple is constantly streaming Apple Music video, so even when Im watching directly with my Samsung Frame inputing into my NAD my sound cuts out. I now unplug my ATV to keep it from interfering when not using it. Has anyone else experienced this issue when not using the input from ATV ? Seems like my NAD still listens and gets messed up.
Maybe Jonfo will have an idea about what's causing that. He has a lot of experience.

Welcome to our hell lol. I'm not sure if I fully understand your issue, but is it something that disabling HDMI CEC could resolve? Are you connected via ATV->Samsung-(arc)->NAD?

To clarify my set up. I run a Samsung Frame smart TV on E-Arc to NAD T778 AV Receiver. ATV is on another HDMI CEC input on my NAD. So if we are simply using the Frame input we still have the sound drop out until sound is gone completely, frustrating because we are not even using the ATV to stream at the time, however it is connected. This even happens before the ATV is woke up (No blue light on ATV) When I select the ATV input I see the same music video is always running in the back ground, so assuming even though we are not actively selecting the NAD still gets knocked off. This will occur always within only a few hours of watching. This never happened until I removed the old TV and installed the 4k version.

This never happened until I removed the old TV and installed the 4k version.
This sounds like a CEC issue. So try disabling CEC on all units to test.

If the ATV is coming out of deep sleep to talk to iCloud (download updates, new photos, etc.), and this powers up the HDMI interface, the NAD might be sensing this and trying to auto-switch the source. So check the NAD setting regarding auto-source switching (which is probably separate from CEC settings).

I know that iOS devices (and TVOS is derived from iOS) have several sleep/standby states and will occasionally 'wake up' enough to use the network but otherwise give no external indication of activity. I suspect the ATV is the same, as it will auto-update without ever lighting up the indicator.

To clarify my set up. I run a Samsung Frame smart TV on E-Arc to NAD T778 AV Receiver. ATV is on another HDMI CEC input on my NAD. So if we are simply using the Frame input we still have the sound drop out until sound is gone completely, frustrating because we are not even using the ATV to stream at the time, however it is connected. This even happens before the ATV is woke up (No blue light on ATV) When I select the ATV input I see the same music video is always running in the back ground, so assuming even though we are not actively selecting the NAD still gets knocked off. This will occur always within only a few hours of watching. This never happened until I removed the old TV and installed the 4k version.
Do you have the same issue we do when streaming shows with Atmos to your receiver? Audio drop out and popping/cracking noises? Mostly on Netflix but also Apple tv +.

Watching the series Mayor of Kingstown now on Paramount +, so I've got a little break from audio problems. It's only in 5.1

Do you have the same issue we do when streaming shows with Atmos to your receiver? Audio drop out and popping/cracking noises? Mostly on Netflix but also Apple tv +.
Yes,its just more frustrating and seems to happen more often when not utilizing going through ATV than it does when we are watching ATV.

Yes,its just more frustrating and seems to happen more often when not utilizing going through ATV than it does when we are watching ATV.
Hopefully Jonfo's idea will take care of the issue where it happens when not using the APTV. The problem we have when streaming shows through APTV has no solution currently. Even Apple seems to not be able to solve it or hasn't even tried.

I think if you turn off the CEC it very well may take care of that extra problem you have. I turned mine off on devices. It was causing wonky problems when I used the Amazon Firestick.

Even Apple seems to not be able to solve it or hasn't even tried.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tvOS 16, maybe June/WWDC? Since it was introduced in 15, maybe its tied to something that requires a significant rewrite to address, and too much work to fit into the minor releases.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tvOS 16, maybe June/WWDC? Since it was introduced in 15, maybe its tied to something that requires a significant rewrite to address, and too much work to fit into the minor releases.
Ive not given up hope yet either. It sure would be nice! I think if it ever happens I will break out a bottle of my good wine!

Reminds me that watching ATV on my projector almoust always results in picture and sound disapears for say 10-20 seconds after say 5 minutes then usualy returns (Atmos or not). Sometimes it trickers the TV to switch on and this despite CEC is disabled. To avoid it from happening i just need to remove the HDMI cable connecting to the TV. All my devices are hooked op to my AVR. Sounds something the like and surely connected to the HDMI. This is on the first 4k generation ATV.

I registered to post in your thread. I bought an atv4k last week and set it up over the weekend. I have an LG C9 and a Denon x1600h AVR, 200 mb/s wired ethernet. I put on a movie on Netflix with Atmos. Within 10 minutes the stutter started. I swapped cables - Belkin and 8K Zeskit with no improvement. I returned the device yesterday. It is a great streamer and I would buy it again if it gets fixed. I can't believe this happens and hasn't been fixed. I have an atv4k gen 1 and got it out to test. It has been working fine. Thanks for documenting this, I hope it gets fixed.

I registered to post in your thread. I bought an atv4k last week and set it up over the weekend. I have an LG C9 and a Denon x1600h AVR, 200 mb/s wired ethernet. I put on a movie on Netflix with Atmos. Within 10 minutes the stutter started. I swapped cables - Belkin and 8K Zeskit with no improvement. I returned the device yesterday. It is a great streamer and I would buy it again if it gets fixed. I can't believe this happens and hasn't been fixed. I have an atv4k gen 1 and got it out to test. It has been working fine. Thanks for documenting this, I hope it gets fixed.
More than one of us have open cases with Apple and it's never been fixed. I've spent probably 3 hours or more with Apple on the phone.

They are well aware of it, but either can't fix it or don't care. I'm hoping that they are at least trying to fix this issue. I bought my ATV on a pre-order and had it on the 1st day of release last March or April. Can't remember when it came out.

It was bad the 2nd week I owned it. I probably should have returned it like you did. Now it's over a year old and the problem is worse than it was to begin with. It's worse because it seems to happen more frequently than it did when it first came out.

Thanks for coming on this thread.

Latest posts

Back