2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is maybe something in the Reddit thread.

« No issue here. Make sure your display setting is 4K SDR with the match settings on. »

btw the match setting ON ensure your hdr/Dolby vision content is played as-is on your tv (meaning hdr will play in hdr and not in sdr).

Let’s see if the prob is solved now.

There is maybe something in the Reddit thread.

« No issue here. Make sure your display setting is 4K SDR with the match settings on. »

btw the match setting ON ensure your hdr/Dolby vision content is played as-is on your tv (meaning hdr will play in hdr and not in sdr).

Let’s see if the prob is solved now.
Thanks for the contribution, but that is not the issue. This thread history documents all the troubleshooting steps taken by those affected; it is clearly a problem with the device/OS.

Well, HBOMax crashed tonight, so I decided to update the Apple tv to the latest OS and I also updated all of the apps. The OS is now 15.4.1(19L452)

I will report back with how things are. I've not updated it since around December.

Thanks for the contribution, but that is not the issue. This thread history documents all the troubleshooting steps taken by those affected; it is clearly a problem with the device/OS.

Do what you want, but I just watched Adams project and 1 episode of drive to survive and the sound didn’t stop at all.

Not 100% sure my atmos sounds problem is completely gone since I only watch 2-3 hours, but it’s a good start. If I remember correctly, I had a sound prob (sound cut off for 10 sec about 2-4 time /hour) in each of drive to survive episode.

Do what you want, but I just watched Adams project and 1 episode of drive to survive and the sound didn’t stop at all.

Not 100% sure my atmos sounds problem is completely gone since I only watch 2-3 hours, but it’s a good start. If I remember correctly, I had a sound prob (sound cut off for 10 sec about 2-4 time /hour) in each of drive to survive episode.
Good so far. Problem is sometimes I can watch 8 hours of a series and have zero problems and then all of the sudden the problem comes back. Just because you watched 2 or 3 hours doesn't mean much. One time, after getting a new Apple tv swap, I went about 3 or 4 months with zero problems. I figured it was a hardware problem. Then after an update, bang it's back again.

Reddit thread is here. When I had the stuttering I had display set to 4K SDR with match content on. I was also on the latest software version. I've since returned the device since it was a new purchase. I'm using the ATV 4K gen 1 and an Nvidia Shield Pro.

Haven't tried it yet, but looks like there is an app update for Netflix that finally uses the tvOS 15 native player. If nothing else, maybe it will reduce the frequency of occurrences down to that of AppleTV+, etc.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it yet, but looks like there is an app update for Netflix that finally uses the tvOS 15 native player. If nothing else, maybe it will reduce the frequency of occurrences down to that of AppleTV+, etc.

Let's hope. I'm watching a series in 5.1 now on HBO Max, so I've not tested yet.

Reddit thread is here. When I had the stuttering I had display set to 4K SDR with match content on. I was also on the latest software version. I've since returned the device since it was a new purchase. I'm using the ATV 4K gen 1 and an Nvidia Shield Pro.
I’m still good for now with those settings.
finger crossed.

I am on the latest tvOS 15.5 beta and manually updated all my streaming apps (they had not yet auto-updated yet), including Netflix, and the Atmos dropouts took less than a minute to show up on 'Drive to Survive'.

Not sure why my apps hadn't auto-updated yet (the auto-update apps setting was ON), or why they didn't show up in the recently updated apps section in the App Store after I manually updated them. No doubt another tvOS issue that will never be resolved.

I am on the latest tvOS 15.5 beta and manually updated all my streaming apps (they had not yet auto-updated yet), including Netflix, and the Atmos dropouts took less than a minute to show up on 'Drive to Survive'.

Not sure why my apps hadn't auto-updated yet (the auto-update apps setting was ON), or why they didn't show up in the recently updated apps section in the App Store after I manually updated them. No doubt another tvOS issue that will never be resolved.
Damn. I was hoping for results. What do you all think, is Apple even working on this problem or are they just ignoring us? I think its the latter.

Maybe its being on the Beta? Can you convert back to the regular release that we are using? Ive not gone beta.

Just an Update on my status; My Trinnov Altitude 16 was installed on Monday and it sounds Amazing with Apple Movies and Blu-ray Discs. However I tried playing The Adam Project on Netflix again and only lasted about a minute or two into the movie and $Hit got crazy. Was so bad I had to quickly scramble for the Mute Button. Today I restarted the ATV4K and made sure the Netflix app was updated. Played the first 10 minutes of the movie again and didn't experience any issues but that's normal for Netflix and the spontaneity it has had. So for all Marantz users like I was; its definitely not a Marantz issue. Like I said in the past, I'm going to hold off on playing any Netflix Dolby Atmos content until I know for a fact its been fixed on the ATV4K.

IMG_6328.JPG

Just an Update on my status; My Trinnov Altitude 16 was installed on Monday and it sounds Amazing with Apple Movies and Blu-ray Discs. However I tried playing The Adam Project on Netflix again and only lasted about a minute or two into the movie and $Hit got crazy. Was so bad I had to quickly scramble for the Mute Button. Today I restarted the ATV4K and made sure the Netflix app was updated. Played the first 10 minutes of the movie again and didn't experience any issues but that's normal for Netflix and the spontaneity it has had. So for all Marantz users like I was; its definitely not a Marantz issue. Like I said in the past, I'm going to hold off on playing any Netflix Dolby Atmos content until I know for a fact its been fixed on the ATV4K.

View attachment 22592
Well, that really helps us that now we know for sure it's not just a Marantz problem. It's an Apple tv problem like we all thought.

Have you contacted Apple about this new incident, or did you give up? I've given up. I feel like all the time I spent on the phone with them was just a big waste of energy for me.

Well, that really helps us that now we know for sure it's not just a Marantz problem. It's an Apple tv problem like we all thought.

Have you contacted Apple about this new incident, or did you give up? I've given up. I feel like all the time I spent on the phone with them was just a big waste of energy for me.

No I'm just not watching Netflix Atmos content at the moment. Haven't had any other issues with my ATV4K and Atmos content on other Apps. I've purchased a bunch of movies in the last month and watched tons of Atmos content on Disney+ with no issues. So for me its only happening on Netflix with Dolby Atmos content. Other formats besides Atmos of course have no issue no matter the Subscription or Application.

Damn. I was hoping for results. What do you all think, is Apple even working on this problem or are they just ignoring us? I think its the latter.

Maybe its being on the Beta? Can you convert back to the regular release that we are using? Ive not gone beta.

I’ve frequently shared my opinion that Apple is making no effort to fix the Atmos issue. Even if it can’t be completely fixed due to hardware limitations, it can be mitigated, since tvOS 14.x was far less prone to the Atmos dropouts/glitches than 15.x. Perhaps the Spatial Audio features that Apple added to 15.x are what made the problem far worse. Unfortunately for us, Apple doesn't care about those with >$1k Atmos home theater systems if it means compromising support for their $200 Air Pods Pro.

It isn’t the 15.5 beta. There have been numerous reports that 15.4 had the problem, and several reports that it even caused the Atmos dropouts/glitches on Gen 1 units, which is why I am keeping my Gen 1 on 15.3.

Last edited:

View attachment 22592

We already new it wasn’t a Marantz issue, since many other AVR brands also have the problem. What we didn’t know is if it was the Atmos decoder chip used in these receivers, since that could be the same across brands. Assuming your Trinnov Altitude 16 (and the VRROOM) uses some higher end Atmos decoder, I believe that provides further proof that the problem is in the ATV4K, and not in the downstream Atmos decoding process. I have been pointing my finger at an issue during the LPCM/MAT 2.0 Atmos conversion that Apple is using in the ATV4K for some time now.

Last edited:

View attachment 22592
I for one would love to hear your thoughts on the Trinnov! The versatile setup options are so numerous and well thought out, at least from what I can gather reading the manual, but it's when an owner is actually using it that things might pop up and present some hurdles.

We don't want to hijack this thread, just a little prodding, you know, nudge nudge, wink wink. So maybe a little review thread?

No I'm just not watching Netflix Atmos content at the moment. Haven't had any other issues with my ATV4K and Atmos content on other Apps. I've purchased a bunch of movies in the last month and watched tons of Atmos content on Disney+ with no issues. So for me its only happening on Netflix with Dolby Atmos content. Other formats besides Atmos of course have no issue no matter the Subscription or Application.
Have you watched a lot of Atmos shows on Apple tv +?

I’ve frequently shared my opinion that Apple is making no effort to fix the Atmos issue. Even if it can’t be completely fixed due to hardware limitations, it can be mitigated, since tvOS 14.x was far less prone to the Atmos dropouts/glitches than 15.x. Perhaps the Spatial Audio features that Apple added to 15.x are what made the problem far worse. Unfortunately for us, Apple doesn't care about those with >$1k Atmos home theater systems if it means compromising support for their $200 Air Pods Pro.

It isn’t the 15.5 beta. There have been numerous reports that 15.4 had the problem, and several reports that it even caused the Atmos dropouts/glitches on Gen 1 units, which is why I am keeping my Gen 1 on 15.3.
Ok, so as I suspected ,the problem is only getting worse and not better. I will see if my issue gets worse now that I updated.

Back