2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have an Apple Account and I'm in the Apple eco system and have been for a long time. There is no charge to have an Apple account and the only charge is for renting or buying movies. Apple TV+ is $4.99 a month but is not needed for movies.

Also just watched the first episode of Moon Knight last night on Disney and it was amazing sounding with no issues.

Again I'm not saying mine is fixed just providing an update as of right now. Maybe tonight I'll go back and watch an episode or two of See again to see if I get any issues. Also I'll try and record The Adam Project issues in the beginning of the movie and see if I can catch it. Reboot fixed that issue last time.
It's really weird how variable the problem is. I can go days without it happening on Apple tv +, and then one night Bam! One episode it might happen 4 times. Really makes me think it has something to do with the streaming signal. I've tested the download and upload speed as well as buffer bloat while its occurring and all test in the good range. So weird.

With Netflix it is much more consistent, and it's hard to make it through a 1 hour episode without it happening at least once.

Then you add the fact that somehow after I swapped for a new unit last summer the problem stopped, and then came back again during the winter.

One really crazy fact, we watched the entire series of For All Mankind on Apple tv+ and the problem only happened once during one episode. I think it's 3 seasons long, and about 30 episodes. It was just some really minor crackling and 1 second of silence. Then I watched Finch with Tom Hanks and the problem happened bad after about 30 minutes and then about 6 times or more again later in the movie at random spots.

Rebooting doesn't fix my problem either. It seems to clear up, but eventually comes back before I finish the show. Happened a few times last night when finishing the last episode of season 3 Narcos Mexico.
@Robert D just curious, when you rebooted, did you reboot via the power button on the Siri remote, or the hard reboot by holding the back and TV buttons for 6 sec (or system->restart menu)?

One really crazy fact, we watched the entire series of For All Mankind on Apple tv+ and the problem only happened once during one episode. I think it's 3 seasons long, and about 30 episodes. It was just some really minor crackling and 1 second of silence. Then I watched Finch with Tom Hanks and the problem happened bad after about 30 minutes and then about 6 times or more again later in the movie at random spots.
My sample size is small, but it seems like my AppleTV+ content has the issue more frequently if I had been previously watching Netflix and experienced the problem. Seems to resolve if I close Netflix, do the hard reboot, and come back in to the ATV app...until the next time, that is.

My sample size is small, but it seems like my AppleTV+ content has the issue more frequently if I had been previously watching Netflix and experienced the problem. Seems to resolve if I close Netflix, do the hard reboot, and come back in to the ATV app...until the next time, that is.
Nice. Good observation. I will have to take a look at that myself. It's not logical but maybe you found something! Thanks.

I have had zero issues with my AppleTv 4k. No audio dropouts. Gen 1 Gen 2 both no problems. I use it almost every night. My opinion to why Apple has not addressed these audio dropouts that some people are having is that the overwhelming majority of owners are not having these issues. Otherwise whatever is causing it would have surely been fixed. Frustrating for sure.

I have had zero issues with my AppleTv 4k. No audio dropouts. Gen 1 Gen 2 both no problems. I use it almost every night. My opinion to why Apple has not addressed these audio dropouts that some people are having is that the overwhelming majority of owners are not having these issues. Otherwise whatever is causing it would have surely been fixed. Frustrating for sure.
How are you using yours? Is it connected directly to an AVR or pre amp like ours? If it is an avr/preamp, what brand?

Are you using wi-fi or ethernet? Those of us having problems are all using wired ethernet. I'm wondering if that's the problem. Maybe there is something wrong there? I never use wifi for anything other than my cell phone.

Ethernet should provide superior service, but maybe there is an issue? I read on Amazon reviews of the Firestick that hard wiring ethernet to it was worse than using wifi.

Mine is fed a constant signal that's 500 mbps or more over ethernet.

How are you using yours? Is it connected directly to an AVR or pre amp like ours? If it is an avr/preamp, what brand?

Are you using wi-fi or ethernet? Those of us having problems are all using wired ethernet. I'm wondering if that's the problem. Maybe there is something wrong there? I never use wifi for anything other than my cell phone.

Ethernet should provide superior service, but maybe there is an issue? I read on Amazon reviews of the Firestick that hard wiring ethernet to it was worse than using wifi.

Mine is fed a constant signal that's 500 mbps or more over ethernet.
Marantz AV 7706 HDMI Belkin 8k cable. Although before i was using a 4k cable and it worked fine. WiFi

Marantz AV 7706 HDMI Belkin 8k cable. Although before i was using a 4k cable and it worked fine. WiFi
Ok, many of us are using the Marantz brand too. Im using an 8012 model.

So you are using wi-fi! Maybe, just maybe our problem is using ethernet.

It sound stupid, but maybe I will unplug the ethernet and use the wi-fi even though its inferior. Then see if the problem goes away. You have never had the audio hiccups playing Atmos shows/movies on Netflix, through your Marantz receiver?

Ok, many of us are using the Marantz brand too. Im using an 8012 model.

So you are using wi-fi! Maybe, just maybe our problem is using ethernet.

It sound stupid, but maybe I will unplug the ethernet and use the wi-fi even though its inferior. Then see if the problem goes away. You have never had the audio hiccups playing Atmos shows/movies on Netflix, through your Marantz receiver?
No. I remember when I setup the APTV i was going to use Ethernet but it asked if I wanted to use my iPhone to set it up. I chose yes. did it that way and have never had any audio dropouts. I have had to restart a few times due to apps freezing up etc.. but never audio issues.

Is there anyone here that uses their Apple tv 4k with wifi that has had the Atmos problem?

Bonscott, maybe you can test your's using ethernet instead of wifi and see what happens? I am going to guess though that you do not have ethernet close to the theater setup and have to use wifi?

If it is the ethernet problem, thats pretty depressing. A product this expensive should run on ethernet, and ethernet has a stronger more dependable signal. I guess at that point it would be a hardware issue with the ethernet port on the device.

With the Amazon Firestick 4k, they had an add on device you could plug into the Firestick that would enable you to use ethernet. When I bought the Firestick I was going to buy the add on but read in the reviews how it didnt work well and just using wifi was superior. Maybe its a similar issue here. Thats how it was back when I first bought the 4k Firestick years ago. Not sure if they even have that add on now. The add on was made by Amazon too. I guess they didnt have the Firestick ethernet ready because they wanted to keep the price low. Most users must just use wifi.

Guys like us on this site usually use ethernet. Ive got every device in my home theater wired for ethernet. Especially the music streamer and Apple tv.

Is there anyone here that uses their Apple tv 4k with wifi that has had the Atmos problem?

Bonscott, maybe you can test your's using ethernet instead of wifi and see what happens? I am going to guess though that you do not have ethernet close to the theater setup and have to use wifi?
Router is in a different room. Using a power line adapter. With a multi Ethernet switch. I have my Marantz, DirecTV box, Oppo Blu-ray. hooked up with wired connection. I am using a Sonos Port and my APTV WiFi. I get get no audio drop outs with DirecTv on Ethernet. Seems strange that would be the cause of your problem. Have you tried uninstalling the apps that you are having problems with then reinstalling them.

Router is in a different room. Using a power line adapter. With a multi Ethernet switch. I have my Marantz, DirecTV box, Oppo Blu-ray. hooked up with wired connection. I am using a Sonos Port and my APTV WiFi. I get get no audio drop outs with DirecTv on Ethernet. Seems strange that would be the cause of your problem. Have you tried uninstalling the apps that you are having problems with then reinstalling them.
Yeah, tried that many times and it does nothing. Most of us on this thread are having this problem and we have all tried everything. After I tried everything, Apple swapped me a brand new box and its doing the same thing now. Its a damn mystery.

Watch The Power of the Dog tonight on Netflix and it had the drop outs and clicking probably about 6 times in 2 hours 5 minutes.

With you using it on wifi and not having problems, it makes me wonder if maybe there is an issue with the ethernet port hardware or how the software interacts with it. I may just try using wifi instead.

I dont recall any of us on here having the audio problem that are running it through wifi. We are all using a fast connection through ethernet. I think most of us are up around 500 mbps too.

One more question: Are you set up for Atmos and playing Dolby Vision + Atmos content?

I’ve used wifi and still had the issue. One of the reasons I went wired was to rule this out.

Back