2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a ton of problems with AppleTV+ yesterday when watching Severance. Even had muting once. Also rebooted and it seemed to resolve. Those frozen video frames come back eventually though.
Oh, you have the video freezing up? Ive never had that. I dont recall you talking about that before. Maybe I misunderstand. Im going to keep trying the rebooting method and see if it works consistently.

I will also watch for you guy's reports on how the new operating systems are doing as they come out.

Oh, you have the video freezing up? Ive never had that. I dont recall you talking about that before. Maybe I misunderstand. Im going to keep trying the rebooting method and see if it works consistently.

I will also watch for you guy's reports on how the new operating systems are doing as they come out.
It's pretty recent, I think with the latest release. It's a very brief stutter in video; first mentioned here:
https://www.martinloganowners.com/t...-tv-4k-dolby-atmos-problems.18919/post-200912

Hi everybody!
We should ask a YouTube tech channel with a huge community to create a video about that issue. If we manage to somehow get this topic to a broader audience, Apple would probably stop ignoring us.
What do you think?
Any ideas for channels, that would fit?

Christoph
That's a great idea! Linus Tech Tips comes to mind of one with a large following. Probably get wider exposure than something like Audioholics, etc.? Yeah, just checked; 14.4M vs. 166K

Hi everybody!
We should ask a YouTube tech channel with a huge community to create a video about that issue. If we manage to somehow get this topic to a broader audience, Apple would probably stop ignoring us.
What do you think?
Any ideas for channels, that would fit?

Christoph

That is a good idea! Of the channels I subscribe to, I am thinking HDTVTest would be a good fit. Vincent has 416K subscribers and is located in the UK. Can anyone in the UK confirm that the Atmos problem also occurs with UK Netflix streams? Of course any popular Apple-themed channel would be better, but such a channel may not want to risk pissing off Apple. C/NET might also be worth considering.

Last night the Apple tv was acting up again so I rebooted it. Shortly after that it messed up again. So for me at least the reboot didnt take care of it.

I don't know how anyone can tolerate having to constantly (or even occasionally) reboot their Apple TV to resolve these sound drop out issues which eventually return. It's totally unacceptable and everyone who is experiencing this issue should be offered a refund which of course won't happen.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I disconnected the Apple TV and am using the built in streaming apps of my Sony A80J. The sound is awesome and the picture quality is awesome as well. Probably because this TV has the XR processor which is really fast. (AVR Yamaha RX-A1080)

Although I'm not sure why since everything is working great now, I am still hoping that Apple fixes the problem and I can start using my Apple 4k Tv again.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone can tolerate having to constantly (or even occasionally) reboot their Apple TV to resolve these sound drop out issues which eventually return. It's totally unacceptable and everyone who is experiencing this issue should be offered a refund which of course won't happen.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I disconnected the Apple TV and am using the built in streaming apps of my Sony A80J. The sound is awesome and the picture quality is awesome as well. Probably because this TV has the XR processor which is really fast.

Although I'm not sure why since everything is working great now, I am still hoping that Apple fixes the problem and I can start using my Apple 4k Tv again.
Rebooting doesn't fix my problem either. It seems to clear up, but eventually comes back before I finish the show. Happened a few times last night when finishing the last episode of season 3 Narcos Mexico.

It's apparent now that either Apple doesn't care about our problem or just lacks the skill to fix it. Either way, it's pathetic.

I just stopped watching Netflix content. Fixed my issue right away. LOL Haven't had any issues since playing Netflix content week or so ago.

I'll never get rid of Apple TV until another company can take my purchases from Apple and transfer them to their product. And that same product has to be able to transfer the library of discs I own as well. Until a company can do that I won't be switching.

I just stopped watching Netflix content. Fixed my issue right away. LOL Haven't had any issues since playing Netflix content week or so ago.

I'll never get rid of Apple TV until another company can take my purchases from Apple and transfer them to their product. And that same product has to be able to transfer the library of discs I own as well. Until a company can do that I won't be switching.
I guess we all could just turn off Atmos in the options and then have a bug free experience. I cant bring myself to do it though after spending many thousands of $$ to turn my home theater into Atmos capable. I kinda feel like a fool now. At least I can watch 4k discs without trouble.

I guess we all could just turn off Atmos in the options and then have a bug free experience. I cant bring myself to do it though after spending many thousands of $$ to turn my home theater into Atmos capable. I kinda feel like a fool now. At least I can watch 4k discs without trouble.
I'm watching plenty of Dolby Atmos content just not on Netflix. Disney hasn't had any issues. Also just finished the newest Season of the Servant and no issues. I've rented probably a dozen movies on Apple with Dolby Atmos and no issues. Only time I've experienced an issue is with Netflix and the Movie The Adam Project within the past few weeks.

I'm watching plenty of Dolby Atmos content just not on Netflix. Disney hasn't had any issues. Also just finished the newest Season of the Servant and no issues. I've rented probably a dozen movies on Apple with Dolby Atmos and no issues. Only time I've experienced an issue is with Netflix and the Movie The Adam Project within the past few weeks.
That's good. I have issues streaming shows from the Apple tv+ service too, so for me its not just Netflix. A bunch of us have that. I've never bought a movie from Apple. I do own some on Amazon and those never had a problem. I'm not an Amazon Prime member so can't speak for streaming off of their service. I just bought some shows and own them. I've not watched a lot of them, so it's really not safe for me to say Amazon has no issues for me.

I've got Paramount +, but not sure if the show I watched was in Atmos. Not had issues there. HBO Max has been ok too.

So for me it's problems on Netflix and Apple tv+.

That's good. I have issues streaming shows from the Apple tv+ service too, so for me its not just Netflix. A bunch of us have that. I've never bought a movie from Apple. I do own some on Amazon and those never had a problem. I'm not an Amazon Prime member so can't speak for streaming off of their service. I just bought some shows and own them. I've not watched a lot of them, so it's really not safe for me to say Amazon has no issues for me.

I've got Paramount +, but not sure if the show I watched was in Atmos. Not had issues there. HBO Max has been ok too.

So for me it's problems on Netflix and Apple tv+.

Sorry to hear that. I'm an Amazon Prime Member and I can't remember the last time I watched a Movie on it that had Dolby Atmos. Not that they don't exist I just don't search for movies that way. Since I have an Apple account when I want to rent or watch a NEW movie I either purchase it or rent it on Apple Movies. The only time I watch movies on any other service is if its the only way it can be viewed like The Adam Project on Netflix.

I have a little over $3000 worth of Apple Movies in my iCloud Account and any of them in Dolby Atmos play just fine.

I'm not trying to push your buttons or upset you in any way; I'm just giving an update on my system and its behavior. Basically I quit using Netflix until it gets fixed. Really thinking of cancelling my service all together. Shame because they have great movies that are only on Netflix.

Sorry to hear that. I'm an Amazon Prime Member and I can't remember the last time I watched a Movie on it that had Dolby Atmos. Not that they don't exist I just don't search for movies that way. Since I have an Apple account when I want to rent or watch a NEW movie I either purchase it or rent it on Apple Movies. The only time I watch movies on any other service is if its the only way it can be viewed like The Adam Project on Netflix.

I have a little over $3000 worth of Apple Movies in my iCloud Account and any of them in Dolby Atmos play just fine.

I'm not trying to push your buttons or upset you in any way; I'm just giving an update on my system and its behavior. Basically I quit using Netflix until it gets fixed. Really thinking of cancelling my service all together. Shame because they have great movies that are only on Netflix.
Wish Apple tv + didn't have audio problems for me. So you are a subscriber to their service? You mention buying movies there, but do you subscribe to their service that's like Netflix that has the monthly fee?

Wondering if the issue is only limited to their subscription service. That could mean something. The Series See was terrible for me.

Awhile ago I chose Amazon to buy my movies. Most I buy on disc, but I've bought a few from them that are just in my online library.

How incredibly odd. I watched The Adam Project a couple weeks ago and not only *didn't* have a problem, but I was also quite impressed with the sound quality.

I hate this type of issue, where it works fine for some people and is unbearably bad for others.

Hi, just found this thread with a google search. I also have the sound cutting problem with atv4k (last gen), on Netflix over atmos.

Not sure about the Netflix part since I mostly watch my atmos content from there. (But I recall having a problem with the ATV+ app sound, not sure it was the same).

I have a Denon avr-s910w which is overall a shitty receiver with a ton of problems so could be that too but here the constant seems the ATV.

anyways. I just want to let you know there is +1 with that problem.

How incredibly odd. I watched The Adam Project a couple weeks ago and not only *didn't* have a problem, but I was also quite impressed with the sound quality.

I hate this type of issue, where it works fine for some people and is unbearably bad for others.
Well, in my case I've watched as many as 6 episodes, so about 6 hours, before it acted up. That's on Netflix too. Apple tv shows are even less common. Other nights I can't watch 1 episode on either without it acting up. For me its highly variable. HBO Max has never done it.

Wish Apple tv + didn't have audio problems for me. So you are a subscriber to their service? You mention buying movies there, but do you subscribe to their service that's like Netflix that has the monthly fee?

Wondering if the issue is only limited to their subscription service. That could mean something. The Series See was terrible for me.

Yes I have an Apple Account and I'm in the Apple eco system and have been for a long time. There is no charge to have an Apple account and the only charge is for renting or buying movies. Apple TV+ is $4.99 a month but is not needed for movies.

Also just watched the first episode of Moon Knight last night on Disney and it was amazing sounding with no issues.

Again I'm not saying mine is fixed just providing an update as of right now. Maybe tonight I'll go back and watch an episode or two of See again to see if I get any issues. Also I'll try and record The Adam Project issues in the beginning of the movie and see if I can catch it. Reboot fixed that issue last time.

Latest posts

Back