2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll use the Shield later today and report. I expect video to be the same, and audio to just work.

As expected, the NVidia Shield Pro had zero audio issues playing an episode of Drive To Survive.
I played half the episode via the AVR, and the other half on the pickier Smyth Realiser A16 Atmos headphone processor. Both displayed Atmos at all times, meaning that the audio format does not change, even when paused.

using the info screen on the A16 we see that the audio format is Dolby Digital+ With an Atmos mix

760100DB-D12A-4EEB-8F9B-DDA1E49A4015.jpeg

so the conclusion is that the root problem is the ATV 4K and the mechanisms it uses to generate the audio streams for the downstream processors. If it were to pass the bitstream unmolested, it would behave much like the shield.

While it would seem the root problem is the encoding within the ATV, there is still a chance the problem is the processors were never validated against this funky combo of LPCM base channels + DD+ Object elements stuffed inside a TrueHD format.
Up until the ATV, all TrueHD format content was from BluRay transports (or rips), containing Lossless coded base layer channels + objects.

I say this because the audio dropout frequency was substantially higher on the A16 vs. the Denon X3600. Recovery also took longer on the A16.

Bottom line, the ideal solution is for Apple to provide an option to bitstream DD+ natively, as the Shield does. I'll reach out to my contacts and see how far I get.

As expected, the NVidia Shield Pro had zero audio issues playing an episode of Drive To Survive.
I played half the episode via the AVR, and the other half on the pickier Smyth Realiser A16 Atmos headphone processor. Both displayed Atmos at all times, meaning that the audio format does not change, even when paused.

using the info screen on the A16 we see that the audio format is Dolby Digital+ With an Atmos mix

View attachment 22505

so the conclusion is that the root problem is the ATV 4K and the mechanisms it uses to generate the audio streams for the downstream processors. If it were to pass the bitstream unmolested, it would behave much like the shield.
Although just watching one show isn't conclusive. Last night I watched episode 1 of the 3rd season of Narcos Mexico on Netflix and it was flawless. So frustrating!

@JonFo Formula1 finally released their AppleTV app, so I once again subscribed to check it out. Note that I have been watching on DirecTV - which I still have available - for prior seasons.

The video quality and sound quality were *vastly* better on the F1 app than on DTV. You can sign up for a 7 day trial of F1 to check it yourself on the next race. It was a simply wonderful experience.

Plus I don't have to try to figure out where the devil they're moving practice, and set up my DVR to grab that on DTV. And half the time when they move the race to a different channel, I've missed those too...

Edited to add: The "Pro" version - at least I think that's what they call it - is what I bought. It allows you to view your choice of telemetry during the live race (I assume, over an iPad or computer), plus I think it allows replaying coverage from the archives. It's not a ton of money, perhaps $79 for the season.

Did I mention how wonderful the sound is? And... no ads! This is the one thing that was a hard stop for canceling DTV for me, so now I'll probably revisit that as well.
Thanks for letting us know about the app! I only see PCM 2.0 for audio. Is this what you are getting?

I also chatted with someone at F1 app and they apologized for this, so it looks like PCM 2.0 is all they offer right now. Seems strange.

I changed the audio setting in TV4K Audio Format from "Change Format: Off", to "Change Format: On/New Format: Dolby Digital 5.1", and still only get PCM 2.0.

I have my AppleTV4k audio set to Change format: Off and Dolby Atmos: On.

While I didn't read the stream info when I was viewing, what I *heard* was a vast improvement over DirecTV's sound. I'll check it on the next broadcast.

It might be a bit of an unfair comparison. I recently replaced my power and ethernet cords (I know, I know... it shouldn't matter) on my AppleTV, and the improved audio quality is obvious. The juice may not be worth the squeeze, but the change is not subtle.

Also, DirecTV seemed to present random, occasional surround audio on F1 broadcasts. Frequently there wasn't any signal coming from surround / rear speakers. Sometimes what sounded like it should be surround came from the rears, with nothing from surround. Perhaps that's on the processor vs DirecTV, but despite the *channel* issues, the overall sound quality itself is much better on my AppleTV for F1 broadcasts.

Edit: @ttocs where are you seeing the audio format information? I've checked in the ATV App Store and searched online, and can't find that detail.

Edited to clarify sources - DirecTV and AppleTV

Last edited:
I have my ATV audio set to Change format: Off and Dolby Atmos: On.

While I didn't read the stream info when I was viewing, what I *heard* was a vast improvement over DTV's sound. I'll check it on the next broadcast.

It might be a bit of an unfair comparison. I recently replaced my power and ethernet cords (I know, I know... it shouldn't matter) on my ATV, and the improved audio quality is obvious. The juice may not be worth the squeeze, but the change is not subtle.

Also, DTV seemed to present random, occasional surround audio on F1 broadcasts. Frequently there wasn't any signal coming from surround / rear speakers. Sometimes what sounded like it should be surround came from the rears, with nothing from surround. Perhaps that's on the processor vs DTV, but despite the *channel* issues, the overall sound quality itself is much better on my ATV for F1 broadcasts.

Edit: @ttocs where are you seeing the audio format information? I've checked in the ATV App Store and searched online, and can't find that detail.
I'm stumped, lol. What's DTV? I figured out ATV, but can't figure out this abbreviation.
😆

I see the incoming and outbound audio on the front panel of my XMC-2, and on the OSD (On Screen Display). The incoming from TV4K is PCM2.0. When I chatted with F1 App tech support they didn't know anything about the audio.

This is a great discussion thread. I was using my 1st gen Apple 4k as the sound was dropping out when watching Atmos content (especially on Netfix as many have discussed). (Yamaha AVR, Sony A80J, ML Dynamo sub)

However, when I updated the software to TvOs 15.4, I am now having the dropout issue on my 1st gen Apple 4k as well. I cannot believe it. And it is still an issue with my 2nd gen A4kTV which I had put in another room with a B&W non Atmos soundbar

Now I have to use the Sony native apps to watch Atmos content especially on Netflix and Apple TV. For some reason (so far) I haven't noticed dropouts on Disney+

I hope that there is an eventual solution to this problem as it is now affecting the 1st gen A4k as well as the 2nd (at least for me)

This is a great discussion thread. I was using my 1st gen Apple 4k as the sound was dropping out when watching Atmos content (especially on Netfix as many have discussed). (Yamaha AVR, Sony A80J, ML Dynamo sub)

However, when I updated the software to TvOs 15.4, I am now having the dropout issue on my 1st gen Apple 4k as well. I cannot believe it. And it is still an issue with my 2nd gen A4kTV which I had put in another room with a B&W non Atmos soundbar

Now I have to use the Sony native apps to watch Atmos content especially on Netflix and Apple TV. For some reason (so far) I haven't noticed dropouts on Disney+

I hope that there is an eventual solution to this problem as it is now affecting the 1st gen A4k as well as the 2nd (at least for me)
Great job Apple! Wow,lol. So maybe it's not a hardware issue so much?

I was hoping Apple would get the Gen 2 working just as well as the Gen 1, but that is not what I meant!

There have been several similar reports on the Apple support forum. I am keeping my Gen 1 on tvOS 15.3 for now. I honestly don't believe anyone at Apple is working to fix the Atmos issue. If they were, I find it difficult to believe that they would release a tvOS that breaks Atmos on the Gen 1.

I was hoping Apple would get the Gen 2 working just as well as the Gen 1, but that is not what I meant!

There have been several similar reports on the Apple support forum. I am keeping my Gen 1 on tvOS 15.3 for now. I honestly don't believe anyone at Apple is working to fix the Atmos issue. If they were, I find it difficult to believe that they would release a tvOS that breaks Atmos on the Gen 1.
Not sure , were they were even thinking about the old gen? They obviously never field tested it with Atmos. Then we have the fact that this Atmos issue has been there since it was released on day one of last year. The problem isnt any better and possibly worse now. It really seems to me that they could care less about fixing it. I think its because there arent enough of us complaining about it and it is still selling well in the stores.

Ive pretty much given up.

Not sure , were they were even thinking about the old gen? They obviously never field tested it with Atmos. Then we have the fact that this Atmos issue has been there since it was released on day one of last year. The problem isnt any better and possibly worse now. It really seems to me that they could care less about fixing it. I think its because there arent enough of us complaining about it and it is still selling well in the stores.

Ive pretty much given up.

Didn't you have an open support ticket? Request a refund. The Atmos support is unacceptable, and Apple has had ample time to fix the problem. You could use the money to buy a Gen 1 (a few places are still selling it). As frustrated as I am with the Gen 2 and with Apple, I have to admit that the ATV4K is overall the best streamer out there (I also have Rokus and Shields).

Didn't you have an open support ticket? Request a refund. The Atmos support is unacceptable, and Apple has had ample time to fix the problem. You could use the money to buy a Gen 1 (a few places are still selling it). As frustrated as I am with the Gen 2 and with Apple, I have to admit that the ATV4K is overall the best streamer out there (I also have Rokus and Shields).
What are you doing about the Atmos problem? Just dealing with it like me, or do you not use Atmos? Curious. I talked to the lady on the phone about a refund but she made it sound like it wouldn't be approved.

I'd like to switch to nvidia. Why do you like Apple more than nvidia? I guess I could see it if you dont watch Atmos, but to have these audio interruptions in the middle of movies really makes me angry.

What are you doing about the Atmos problem? Just dealing with it like me, or do you not use Atmos? Curious. I talked to the lady on the phone about a refund but she made it sound like it wouldn't be approved.

I'd like to switch to nvidia. Why do you like Apple more than nvidia? I guess I could see it if you dont watch Atmos, but to have these audio interruptions in the middle of movies really makes me angry.

I do not have to deal with the Atmos issues on the Gen 2. As I have said before, I also have a Gen 1 that has never had an issue with Atmos. I have both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 connected to my Denon AVR, so I can test the latest updates on the Gen 2, and switch over to the Gen 1 if the Atmos has any issues, such as it did last night while watching an episode of Black Summer. So I am not really that inconvenienced by the Gen 2 Atmos problem, as I have a Gen 1 and other working streamers that support Atmos and DV. Ultimately, if the Gen 2 is never fixed, I will just put it in the family room where there isn't an Atmos setup.

So Apple would likely not approve a refund when there product is faulty. That would be consistent their contention that the Atmos problem is to an issue with our setups, and not an issue with Apple's design. Apple sucks.

I have already shared my thoughts on the Shield, ATV4K, and Roku with you in some detail, so please search through my older posts. But in short, the Shield is buggy and not as polished as the ATV4K, and the ATV4K has the best frame rate matching. I often have issues with Plex on the Shield that appear to be related to frame rate mismatch between the Shield and the Samsung 85" Q90T TV in the family room, so I use a Roku there.

I am curious why you are still putting up with the Gen 2 Atmos problems when you could have picked up a Gen 1, a Roku Ultra, or a Shield, all of which support DV and Atmos. Heck, you could buy all three for less than the VRROOM that you seemed ready to buy if it fixed the Atmos on the Gen 2.

I do not have to deal with the Atmos issues on the Gen 2. As I have said before, I also have a Gen 1 that has never had an issue with Atmos. I have both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 connected to my Denon AVR, so I can test the latest updates on the Gen 2, and switch over to the Gen 1 if the Atmos has any issues, such as it did last night while watching an episode of Black Summer. So I am not really that inconvenienced by the Gen 2 Atmos problem, as I have a Gen 1 and other working streamers that support Atmos and DV. Ultimately, if the Gen 2 is never fixed, I will just put it in the family room where there isn't an Atmos setup.

So Apple would likely not approve a refund when there product is faulty. That would be consistent their contention that the Atmos problem is to an issue with our setups, and not an issue with Apple's design. Apple sucks.

I have already shared my thoughts on the Shield, ATV4K, and Roku with you in some detail, so please search through my older posts. But in short, the Shield is buggy and not as polished as the ATV4K, and the ATV4K has the best frame rate matching. I often have issues with Plex on the Shield that appear to be related to frame rate mismatch between the Shield and the Samsung 85" Q90T TV in the family room, so I use a Roku there.

I am curious why you are still putting up with the Gen 2 Atmos problems when you could have picked up a Gen 1, a Roku Ultra, or a Shield, all of which support DV and Atmos. Heck, you could buy all three for less than the VRROOM that you seemed ready to buy if it fixed the Atmos on the Gen 2.

Well, now dsratx is saying his Gen 1 Apple tv is having the same problem. I feared that, hence why I've not tried a Gen 1. It confirms my fear of that happening. I want to stay away from buying any more Apple.

I'd like to get the nvidia, but after hearing your report on it, I think I may not like it either. For now,my Apple works 95% of the time overall. Most of what I end up watching isn't in Atmos, but that seems to be changing . I'm watching the latest season of Narcos Mexico now and it wasn't until episode 3 that the sound had some minor hiccups.

My plan is to bide my time and wait for them to fix it. I'm not updating the OS or apps, so the problem shouldn't be able to get worse. If there was a great alternative device for sale I'd buy it now and throw this Apple in the closet.

Last edited:
Narcos was acting up bad tonight, and so I tried rebooting the Apple. After that, the show didn't have any more problems.

Narcos was acting up bad tonight, and so I tried rebooting the Apple. After that, the show didn't have any more problems.
I had a ton of problems with AppleTV+ yesterday when watching Severance. Even had muting once. Also rebooted and it seemed to resolve. Those frozen video frames come back eventually though.

Hi everybody!
We should ask a YouTube tech channel with a huge community to create a video about that issue. If we manage to somehow get this topic to a broader audience, Apple would probably stop ignoring us.
What do you think?
Any ideas for channels, that would fit?

Christoph

Latest posts

Back