What's Spinning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last weeks finds now need to be filed (along with about 100 others).

Another good score from the $1 LP bins this week. I actually got to some virgin bins before they were added to the floor stock.

Hugh Masekela - is Alive and Well at the Wiskey - contains a great cover of a "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Street
Rolling Stones - Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)
George Harrison - Extra Texture
Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Zuma (splurged, it was $1.95)
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - Paris Jazz Party
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Wes Montgomery Trio - Guitar on the Go
Don Gardner Trio featuring Jimmy Smith
David Bromberg - David Bromberg
David Bromberg - Wanted Dead or Alive
The Jonah Jones Quartet - Playing His Speacial Kind of Jazz
Sarah Vaughan - All Time Favorites

(Last night)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
Hadn't listened to this on my MLs before...
Disappointed by some audible hiss here & there (guess that's what they mean by revealing inadequacies in source material) but man, that cat could pick - especially the live tracks...

Last edited:
Everybody Digs Bill Evans...

Last night, I treated myself, to once again, enjoying, "Everybody Digs Bill Evans". What a wondeful Jazz Album/CD... IMHO, It is truely a beautiful listening experiance. I just love, the song, "Peace Peace". Especially when played through my ML speakers. :D

I highly recommend this Album/CD...

-Robin

Right now:
Nine Inch Nails / Pretty Hate Machine

WHY have I not busted this one out on my Logans before? This has always been a record-settingly multilayered recording; the difference is that now each of those layers is crystal-clear and potent. Too bad I waited til after the family went to bed; I can't wait to hear how it sounds when properly cranked.

"Kinda I Want To" is swarming around my head right now. I think I feel a review coming on.

Regularly spinning for the last few weeks.........

Boz Scaggs, Dig..................Incredible bass lines, and some pretty nice rimshots as well.

Boheme

Enjoyed with a bottle (or 3) of Martin Ray Chardonnay, Angela Georgiou (can't spell her name, but who cares!) recording of La Boheme. Still feeling the effects of the wine, but hey, La Boheme sounds amazing through MLs whether we're sober or not!!

Cheers,

David

Friends do let friends drive speakers drunk. :)

Last night: Audioslave / Out of Exile.
Buncha virtuosic musicians and a much more consistently groovy sound on this album than their first one. Loverly.

Over the weekend, demo'd the system to a visiting friend using the MFSL Ultradisc version of The Wall. The kick drum that begins "Waiting for the Worms" is still one of my favorite moments on disc.

Mase - Welcome Back.

Oh yeah... ML and hiphop is a deadly combination! :cool:

A little history

Well.....I've been rediscovering my musical past (and how poorly recorded most of it was).....

Tom D, some of these 80's beauties you'll appreciate.....

A Flock of Seagulls, Best of (some good music but not sounding too good on my system) :(

Stranglers, Aural Sculpture: Skin Deep and No Mercy are good songs, the rest, geesh why did I buy this. :confused:

The Smiths, "Strangeways, Here We Come": Girlfriend in a Coma, what more can be said :D

The 80's were a strange time, thank God I didn't have Flock of Seagulls hair.

Beethoven Symphonies (all 9)

During the weekend, I listened to the complete set of Beethoven's Symphonies, played by the Berliner Philharmoniker and Claudio Abbado.

This set has been issued by DGG and is available on DVD-Audio (5 discs).

To my ears, fantastic recordings of beautiful masterpieces ! Very moving !

Cheers,

Now:
Alkaline Trio / Good Mourning
Creepy stuff, but it sounds so good!

Earlier:
Joe Satriani / Surfing with the Alien
Just bought this & I'm finding it hard to hear it without hearing all the guitar cliches it inspired in the ensuing decades.

Yesterday:
Polyphonic Spree / Together We're Heavy
This is amazing, trippy stuff, the first actual, fully realized pop symphony I've heard. Preternaturally melodic at points and thoroughly 60's (even I can tell, and I completely missed that decade).

Mostly new stuff for me !

Right now :

- Nicolas Repac "Swing-Swing".

Earlier :

- The Residents "Demons Dance Alone"

Yesterday evening:

- Sigur Rós "Agætis Byrjun"

It is funny how the acquisition of new equipment encourages me to listen to more music ! ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi Kruppy,

A few words that would be fitting to describe Sigur Rós' music: atmospheric, aerial, introspective, serene, intimist, calm, romantic, ethereal... ;)

It is a soothing music, not agressive at all, that is difficult to classify in a well-defined genre. Certainly not rock, it could be put in "Progressive Rock" or "New Age", I guess. Beautiful (and sparse) instrumentation and voices !

Like you, I had heard of Sigur Rós but not listened to their music. I'm glad to have discovered them !

Enjoy !

Last edited:
Right now :

- Boards of Canada "Music Has The Right To Children".

Yesterday evening:

- Godspeed You Black Emperor "f#a#8"

Cheers,

Last night:
Ofra Harnoy & Toronto Chamber Orch. / Vivaldi Cello Concertos (1990)

What a revelation! This CD has always been an aurally orgasmic experience, but on first listen with my Odysseys, how utterly transporting... Every note of each brilliant cadenza diamond-clear. All the buzz and breath of the soloist's bow across her strings. Although I consider the performance fairly passionate, the point of this programme to me is not the emotion behind the sound but the sound itself, and the sound here is one of the greatest pleasures I've had this week (month?).

I found myself stopping myself from coughing, moving and occasionally breathing, the better to get close to Ms. Harnoy and her beautiful playing.

Hi Sasha,

I don't know that particular recording, but it is true that strings are so beautifully rendered by ML. I love cello and double bass on stats!

In a completely different type of music, have you listened to some Apocalyptica ? ;)

Now, back on track:

Yesterday evening:
- Sigur Rós "()"
- Sigur Rós "Von"

Right now :
- Verve / Remixed

Cheers,

Hey, Kaliar - I haven't heard Apocalyptica... I'll try to check them out online. I didn't really like Metallica's S&M, but I do like quite a bit of the Kronos & Turtle Island string quartets' output that I've heard, so maybe I'll like them.

Today I'm going through a bunch of remarkable single cuts, at full volume:
Stone Roses / "This is the One" (from their debut): Just a glorious melody and arrangement, one of those epiphanic songs...

Peter Gabriel / "Here Comes the Flood" (from PG1): A regrettable amount of hiss on the Charisma import version of this disc (which is supposed to be better than the domestic printing), but regardless, an appropriately dramatic sonic experience for its subject matter (and unfortunately a topical one, these days)

Cowboy Junkies / "Lost My Driving Wheel" (from the Born to Choose compilation): OK, this one literally brought me to tears. It's like a slow wave of emotion that envelops the listener, so understated that every breath and intonation (from Margo Timmins on vocals and from the rest of the band) counts. Possibly my favorite lyrical "I love you" declaration, and the song's coda - specifically the precise instant of its inception - is one of my favorite moments on disc.

After all these I was figuring that "Crimson" by the Alkaline Trio (which I just picked up today) was going to be a bit of a step down from the sublime, but man, it sounds great. Not so Sum 41's "Chuck" (also added today), which sounds much less distinguished on 1st listen than "All Killer No Filler" from the rest of the nu-metal bilge...

Anyway - enough gushing; I guess I and my ML's ought to get a room (hey, wait! We've got one!)...

Back