What's Spinning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not listened to my stereo in a month, the down side of summer for me. :cool:

I'll play something tonight - promise.

Garage Rock Rotation

These have not left my cd player in the last week:

White Stripes: Elephant
White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

Yesterday:

- Oregon "Beyond Words"
- Marc Moulin "Top Secret"

Right now:

- Infected Mushroom "Converting Vegetarians"

Cheers !

Right now:

NRBQ - All Hopped Up. :cool:

Vinyl is great!!! A veil has been lifted. Had been spinning CD'sover the weekend.

Played some old LPs !

Yesterday evening, I put some oldies on my turntable:

- Rolling Stones "Flowers", the first LP I ever bought (mono of course) :)

- Pentangle "Cruel Sister", a fantastic album !

- Il Rovescio della Medaglia "Contaminazione". That particular LP was being played in the boutique where I began my journey in hi-fi. It is also the first LP played on my first real system, back in 1975: Thorens turntable, Stanton cartridge, Dayton-Wright preamplifier, Epicure power amplifier, IMF loudspeakers and Sennheiser headphones.

Equipment comes and goes, music stays ! ;)

Cheers !

Last edited:
Right now:

- Anouar Brahem, John Surman, Dave Holland "Thimar"

Earlier this evening:

- Loreena McKennitt "The Visit"

Cheers,

Yesterday evening:

- Eric Clapton "From The Cradle"

This morning:

- Bright Eyes "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"

Right now:

- Apocalyptica "Plays Metallica by Four Cellos"

Cheers !

Currently - Ani Difranco Imperfectly (cut: "Fixing Her Hair"; Ani's acoustic 6-string is just glorious.)

Earlier - Carlos Kleiber & Wiener Philharmoniker, Beethoven's 7th

Still earlier - Guns & Roses Use Your Illusion II
The cut "Locomotive" gave me my first inkling that the Sonic Holography circuit in my Sunfire might be worth something; Slash's incomparable jackhammer rhythm guitar seemed planted way to the right of the right main.

Among my many reasons for loving my 2.75-year-old is her superpower of sleeping through my hard rock cranking in the next room :rolleyes:

This morning:

- Bach "Suites for Solo Cello, ...", played by Janos Starker, cello.

- Erik Satie "Gnossiennes, Gymnopédies, ...", played by Reinbert de Leeuw, piano.

This afternoon:

- Jongen "Symphonie Concertante" & Franck "Fantaisie in A and Pastorale", San Francisco Symphony directed by Edo de Waart - Michael Murray, organ.

Right now:

- Muddy Waters "Folk Singer".

Life is good with ML !!

Cheers !

Last night:

Peter Gabriel, UP
Note to self: Must remember not to blast the opener "Darkness" at night with nobody else home.

Def Leppard, Pyromania Ultradisc
One of the first LP's I ever bought with my allowance money. Still the standard for finely crafted metalwork.

J.S. Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites, Rostropovich / EMI
Strong argument to be made for this being the world's most beautiful music. Was playing as my daughter was born. Also fitting accompaniment to Gödel Escher Bach which I'm slowly & painfully rereading.

Melissa Auf der Mar, Auf der Mar
Great album sonically, though not musically - I'm hoping that the lyric for the closer "I Need I Want I Will" was written either during a psychotropic stupor or when the artist was a young kid. "Followed the Waves" is a trip, though.

I love my family, but there sure is more time to listen to music when they're away :)

sakhavi said:
J.S. Bach Unaccompanied Cello Suites, Rostropovich / EMI
Strong argument to be made for this being the world's most beautiful music.
Hi Sasha,

I could not agree more! I like it so much that I play regularly either one of the three different versions that I have of this "chef d'oeuvre":
- Pierre Fournier on LP (Archiv)
- Rostropovich on CD (EMI)
- Janos Starker on SACD (Mercury Living Presence)

No matter which one is spinning, I'm always moved by this fabulous music that is rendered so well by our ML speakers!

Take care !

Ha, I noticed after I posted that we'd both been listening to the Bach. I'd love to check out these other versions; every time I think about picking up another recording of a program I already have, there just seem to be too many other titles on the wishlist.

Yesterday:

- Peter Gabriel "Passion - Music for The Last Temptation of Christ", a film by Martin Scorsese (Geffen CD)

This morning:

- Jordi Savall "La Folia, 1490-1701". Music from Corelli, Marais, and others (AliaVox Hybrid SACD)

Next in line:

- Glenn Gould playing the Bach Goldberg Variations (1981 version)

Cheers !

I am playing through a stack of my latest picks from the LP dollar bins:

The Doors - Soft Parade - EKS-75005
The Best of Max Roach and Clifford Brown in Concert - GNP 18
Lionel Hamptom - CX-159
The Jonah Jones Qaurtet- Jumpin' with Jonah - T1039
Oscar Peterson Plays Duke Ellington - MGC-606
The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Organ Grinder Swing - VS-8628
David Lindley - El Rayo X - 5E-24
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue - CL 1355
Charlie Musselwhite - Takin' My Time - Arhoolie 1056
Buddie De Franco & Oscar Peterson - the George Gershwin Song Book - MGV-2022
Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley - T1657

All orignals! This was my best score this summer!

Hi jjqiv,

Wow, that's indeed a great score ! Congrats !

Have fun listening to that great selection of LPs, that will give you many hours of pleasure !

Take care,

Last night -

XTC / Oranges and Lemons ("Across this Antheap" is my speakers' new favorite cut)
Rage Against the Machine (eponymous)
Moe Tucker / Life in Exile After Abdication

Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins / Gish & Siamese Dream

I'm listening to the soundtrack from the modern Romeo+Juliet. It's an interesting mix of stuff, some by bands I listen to like Garbage and the Cardigans, some by bands I wouldn't have listened to on a bet.

SteveInNC said:
I'm listening to the soundtrack from the modern Romeo+Juliet. It's an interesting mix of stuff, some by bands I listen to like Garbage and the Cardigans, some by bands I wouldn't have listened to on a bet.

I'll have to spin that one soon (haven't yet heard it on my MLs); I keep forgetting that "#1 Crush" is on there, and that's a great track. Did you hear that the Cardigans have a new cover of "Iron Man?" Gotta be the least likely cover since Paul Anka's "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

sakhavi said:
I'll have to spin that one soon (haven't yet heard it on my MLs); I keep forgetting that "#1 Crush" is on there, and that's a great track. Did you hear that the Cardigans have a new cover of "Iron Man?" Gotta be the least likely cover since Paul Anka's "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Oh that's just creepy, and I like the Cardigans. I got to actually hear Iron Man from the source back in the early eighties. They were playing an outdoor amphitheater in Seattle at the site of the old World's Fair. I was walking around the (now) park and heard that classic opening riff. I was in town for business and didn't even know the concert was there.

Latest posts

Back