What influences you to buy audio gear?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
Salesmen, spouses, influencers, and shysters all want to getus to change our behavior or to part with our money. Most of the time this happens under the radar and we are not fully aware of it.

Most of us audition a piece of gear, are emotionally moved by it, and purchase it. But that’s not the whole story. There are many forces acting on us to buy. I put together a fairly thorough list of what impacts gear purchase decisions. When I first bought my Logans, it was most of them. What else influences you to buy?

1. Emotional connection to the product
2. emotional connection to the brand
3. Like the salesperson
4. like the manufacturer
5. a lot of people own the piece of equipment
6. a lot of people own the brand
7. many good reviews
8. one person you respect owns the gear
9. loyal to a brand and will buy it no matter what
10. feel like you have to buy from a dealer because you demoed a lot of 11. stuff in your home
12. works in the room (size/ looks)
13. combination of any of the above
14. none of the above
15. something else

Great list! I'd add aestetics. All else being equal, I'm more likely to buy a product that is aesthetically pleasing than one that isn't (even if the former is more expensive, but still within my budget).

For me, it is a whole combination of everything listed above and probably a few more things as well - some of which are subconcious and I couldn't really list.

It also depends on the component and amount of money in question as to which points listed here are given priority.

One note about salesmen though (and I may be unique), but if I feel pressure of any kind I'll run (not walk) the other way quick smart. I just will not spend the sort of money required for audio equipment when under duress. Any pressure and I'm out the door - I need to be left to make my own decision in my own time.

it's a combination for me too. i'm a sucker for pretty much anything Meitner (although i missed a good price on an ADC a month or so back). and i'm always trolling to see what's in the used ML listings.

after that it's sound. pure and simple. it's gotta make music. now that i'm married i suspect aesthetics are going to become an issue :D

Three things: Sound quality, synergy with other components (sound again), and it is within my budget range.

New, used, looks, company does not really matter.

Salesperson knowing of customer support (few and far between now) could help with a sale from their store, but only if they carry the piece I am looking for.

What's the difference between 2 and 4 ?

#2 means the company did a great job branding. Take Coke or Nike or Martin Logan for many people on this site- people feel it. #4 means you enjoy dealing with the manufacturer, say Jim Power. With some companies, such as Ayre or BAT or CJ, the phone response is always pleasant and professional.

One note about salesmen though (and I may be unique), but if I feel pressure of any kind I'll run (not walk) the other way quick smart. I just will not spend the sort of money required for audio equipment when under duress. Any pressure and I'm out the door - I need to be left to make my own decision in my own time.

I think that the best salesmen execute a combination of the items on the list, and do it without the pressure. Many times they get the customer to like them, which can be a huge deal. (I've owned the ML CLS 10 years ago - what a speaker!, but I now have B&W because my cat used to rest on the CLS power supply...BS, BS). People then rationalize that they are buying from a nice guy.

There are many tricks to do that - act against self interest in the short term (those cables won't do a thing for you right now, but those amps!). They also loan a lot of equipment, that sits on a shelf without being powered on for weeks. If the customer does not do the due diligence and compare, he feels obliged to reciprocate and buy that underpowered amp...

I'd add the manufacturer's reputation for customer service. This includes the ability to contact someone directly at the factory (even the company founder, as in the case of BAT and ARC) and receive a prompt and helpful reply. I am far more willing to spend thousands of dollars on a component if I know I can count on the manufacturer to stand behind it. Companies like ARC, BAT and ML earn high marks in this respect (as in many others, of course), which inclines me to be a repeat customer.

Sound first, if possible, great aesthetics as well and good reputation for service and durability...

I would say 'reviews'... What I mean by that is, if I am on an internet forum - such as this - and people continue to talk about a product and how good it is - and the consensus seems to be unanimous - that, in the past has pushed me over the edge.

I find it more and more difficult to find gear anywhere - and usually the stores may carry the brand but not the product I want...So, what do I have left? Great forums like this...

I would say 'reviews'... What I mean by that is, if I am on an internet forum - such as this - and people continue to talk about a product and how good it is - and the consensus seems to be unanimous - that, in the past has pushed me over the edge.

I find it more and more difficult to find gear anywhere - and usually the stores may carry the brand but not the product I want...So, what do I have left? Great forums like this...

Very well put.

What influences me to buy? Hi-Fi shows and reviews. Thing is, I guess I have accumulated a lot of experience over the years by going to a lot of shows and hearing a lot of kit in other venues - dealers included. But the ebay/other online auction route also influences me to buy - because it's simply the best way to try stuff out, and if it doesn't work out, pass it on at hoefully minimal loss - or if you re-list well, even some profit - sometimes on gear you've had for a few years.

Any built up experience is simply a case of knowing what it is that I like, and in reality, is of naff all use to anyone else.

These days, I almost never buy new - it simply doesn't make any sense given the losses involved.:devil::devil::devil::devil:

The above is an important influence for me, but not the reason why gear is purchased. That's a good question, I sometimes wonder myself why my system cost more than the car i'm driving:eek1:

For me it is simple need; I need this sound!! I listen like others watch tv or read.

In checking your list, it seems that the above quote says it for me too, with a good bit of research. The initial purchase of the ML speakers was based on the sound, and a bit of awe. After that, mostly reputation and reviews.

Rich - We have a difference of opinion with regard to aesthetics. The aesthetic value is meaningless to me, sound above all. The thing is, i can't imagine anything as ugly if it sounds incredible.

1. Sound.

2. Features. I have to be able to get the most out of it in my hybrid 2ch/HT setup.

3. Ergonomics. See #2.

4. Cost.

5. Aesthetics. This comes into play when the three more important factors have been satisfied.

6. Service/Reliability. This is further down the list than it would be if I bought everything new. If I did buy everything new, it would be #3. For instance, I bought my Vantages new. As much as I like MLs, if they had a lousy reputation for quality and standing by their products, I would have passed.

The main reason for me is the sound quality. Defined by metrics, backed up by listening.

Features are very important (e.g. room correction), because if you understand what they can do, they vastly overshadow other aspects.

Aesthetics are secondary most of time, but nice to have.

Finally, agree that service and service reputation are also important considerations.

Joeyitis... :D

Just about everything in my stereo system I either bought used from the members here or had a member broker the deal. You Bastards! Ha, ha... Thank You.

Satch

Back