Vantage or Summits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a pair of ML odyssey's, but had to sell them due to divorce. I'm now in the position to buy a set of ML's again.

My room is 400sqft with 10' ceiling. Speakers will be paired with a servo sub. I absolutely loved the odysseys. They filled the room very well and gave an exceptional listening experience. They were my stress relievers many, many times. I'm looking for an equal or better listening experience. I don't want to buy something and be wishing I still had my odysseys (in fact, I would buy a set again if there were any for sale close to North Dakota for a reasonable price).

Will the Vantage do this for me, or will I have to step up to the summit? I'd like to save the money if possible, as long as I won't be disappointed.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm sure there must be a few people here that have moved from odyssey's to summits or the vantage.

Thanks!

I think the Vantages can pull it off and allow you significantly more money for upstreams including an SMS for your current sub.

:welcome: back to ML sound!

Joey :)

I think the Vantages can pull it off and allow you significantly more money for upstreams including an SMS for your current sub.

:welcome: back to ML sound!

Joey :)

... but in saying that, buying the Summits is an option you should carefully consider. ;)

Well, there's no doubt that the Summits will fill the room, but chances are pretty good that the Vantages will do an excellent job, too. So you need to ask yourself if the added cost is worth it.

Are you buying them new? If so, your dealer should be willing to let you audition both of them for a day or two each. That's probably the most secure way of finding out.

I will probably buy them new. However, they will most likely be ordered from out of state. I'm in Sask. Canada and there is only one ML dealer here, and they have never brought summits in. The next closest dealer is 600 miles.

I would never give this dealer my business anyway. Went in to price out the Odyssey's. They said they would call me back with a price. Three days later no call, so I call them. They say they haven't got a price yet, call back in another couple days. I tell them, no, call me when you have a price. Their response? "We'll probably forget, it's beter if you give us a call". Now there's a dealer that wants to sell high end speakers. The market is so small here, I can't believe they don't jump on an actual buyer. So, my odysseys came from vegas!

Because of the above, auditioning both is not an option. I'll have to go by the statements on this forum.

Thanks for all the comments.

I would never give this dealer my business anyway. Went in to price out the Odyssey's. They said they would call me back with a price. Three days later no call, so I call them. They say they haven't got a price yet, call back in another couple days. I tell them, no, call me when you have a price. Their response? "We'll probably forget, it's beter if you give us a call". Now there's a dealer that wants to sell high end speakers. The market is so small here, I can't believe they don't jump on an actual buyer. So, my odysseys came from vegas!

I wonder how some businesses stay in business....

If you can afford it buy the Summitt's, your room is a nice size / fit for them. You didn't state what your upstream componetry was , so let's assume it is top notch stuff, if not then the 5k difference between the Vantage's and Summitt's could be used there. Afterall you already have a 'servo' based sub that would probably bring the Vantage's in line with the lower freq.

I think the Vantage could/would definitely do the job. You are near the point of diminishing returns. The 5k difference could really be invested in upstream components and really give you a top notch system. If you've already got the upstream taken care of, then go for the Summit! :D

I had a pair of ML odyssey's, but had to sell them due to divorce. I'm now in the position to buy a set of ML's again.

My room is 400sqft with 10' ceiling. Speakers will be paired with a servo sub. I absolutely loved the odysseys. They filled the room very well and gave an exceptional listening experience. They were my stress relievers many, many times. I'm looking for an equal or better listening experience. I don't want to buy something and be wishing I still had my odysseys (in fact, I would buy a set again if there were any for sale close to North Dakota for a reasonable price).

Will the Vantage do this for me, or will I have to step up to the summit? I'd like to save the money if possible, as long as I won't be disappointed.

Any comments would be appreciated. I'm sure there must be a few people here that have moved from odyssey's to summits or the vantage.

Thanks!

I would recommend to look for a used pair of Prodige or at least you need to audition the Summit or Vantage first. I recently visited my ML local dealer and for some reasons, the sound was not impressive at all, perhaps the power amp might not have enough power to drive it. The demo system front end was all new Audio Reseach gears, just wiht another brand power amp hook up to the system. Since my original SL3, I have been buying used gears with pretty good results. I will try this first before paying top dollars for the new stuffs.

I have the Vantages in about the same size and type of room you described. Although they do a very fine job and can fill the room with music I must admit that I do plan on upgrading to the Summits some day when finances permit.

I bought my Vantages this year and I am thrilled with them. They sound incredible even with the simple power of a 7 channel AVR (120wpc). I am sure that DEC 1st, when I add my Pass or Plinius amp that I will be even that much more impressed.
I currently have zero desire to upgrade to the Summits, content with Vantages. Besides, I have several other high-end hobbies that require equal funding.

Lee

I will probably buy them new. However, they will most likely be ordered from out of state. I'm in Sask. Canada and there is only one ML dealer here, and they have never brought summits in. The next closest dealer is 600 miles.

Because of the above, auditioning both is not an option. I'll have to go by the statements on this forum.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have Odysseys w/Descent- and I know what you mean.... Here has been my experiences... I have listened to Summits - not Vantages. I like my Odyssey/Descent combo BETTER than the Summits...But, it is a very close call. Given setup/etc.... I could easily slip on a pair of Summits to replace the Odyssey/descent combo - if that is what I had to do - and never look back. There is so much flexibility with the Summit - it makes it difficult to compare it with other speakers if you only have an hour at your local shop.

If you have a chance - go listen to a pair of Maggie 20.1s for grins. It is a nice comparison with the Summit & you know what your Odysseys sounded like. Both speakers do their own thing very well....

BTW, you should have taken a pic of your Odysseys - mailed it to your dealer thanking them for the dealer recommendation in Vegas.

Thanks!

SuperchargedWS6, both the Vantages and the Summits are great speakers. If your musical tastes and/or the feeling/satisfaction of owning a top-notch product point you in the Summit direction and the $6k differential is not going to burn a hole in your pocket, then the Summits would be the natural choice. If however, your budget is limited and you have to weigh in your options very carefully, then you have to think about what you are going to use them for. You didn’t specify your interests, whether they are mainly in movies or music and what kind. If you are going to use the speakers predominantly in an HT setup, where imaging is not important, or for a large variety of electronic instrument (synthesizer) pop music, recorded in sterile studio environment with added artificial reverberation, then the Vantages will do an excellent job. The $6k would probably be much better spent on subwoofers or elsewhere. If your interests in acoustic music are not predominant, or they are in intimate say jazz quartet recordings, the likes of Diana Krall, the Vantages will do a marvelous job of reproducing individual voice, piano, violin, sax…. In such recordings the soundstage is intimate and the positioning of the instruments is easily defined and the Vantages can beautifully convey the intimacy. In these cases, the Summits might be an overkill, the main difference will probably be noticed in the bass region and a notch improvement in resolution and transparency, but probably not worth an extra $6k. Now, if you are going to use the Summits for acoustic music predominantly, and you love that concert hall experience of a chamber, symphony, or philharmonic orchestra – this is where the Summits will shine like a brand new black Cadillac in the Arizona sun. You will certainly appreciate the dynamics, bass extension and accuracy, spectacular pin-point imaging, resolution, and much larger and well defined soundstage, which resemble much closer the dimensions and experience of a real concert hall. If you want to be able to close your eyes and picture the exact poison from left-to-right, front-to-back, and bottom-to-top of a variety of woodwind, brass, percussion and string type instruments in an orchestra of say 40 performers, then the $6k might be worth every dollar of it. In such performances, where the stage is loaded with musical information, you will note the Vantages’ smaller resolution, the not so precise localization of individual instruments in space and you will notice that the size of the stage is somewhat compressed and not so realistic. The whole experience is just different. The Summits are in a totally different league there. In such performances the experience of listening to them is phenomenal. Of course you need highly professional recordings for that. So, depending on musical tastes, the Summits might not be worth the added cost for everyone. If large, live orchestral type music is not your thing, then the Vantages are a clear performance/cost winner and you will not be disappointed the least bit.

SuperchargedWS6, both the Vantages and the Summits are great speakers. If your musical tastes and/or the feeling/satisfaction of owning a top-notch product point you in the Summit direction and the $6k differential is not going to burn a hole in your pocket, then the Summits would be the natural choice. If however, your budget is limited and you have to weigh in your options very carefully, then you have to think about what you are going to use them for. You didn’t specify your interests, whether they are mainly in movies or music and what kind. If you are going to use the speakers predominantly in an HT setup, where imaging is not important, or for a large variety of electronic instrument (synthesizer) pop music, recorded in sterile studio environment with added artificial reverberation, then the Vantages will do an excellent job. The $6k would probably be much better spent on subwoofers or elsewhere. If your interests in acoustic music are not predominant, or they are in intimate say jazz quartet recordings, the likes of Diana Krall, the Vantages will do a marvelous job of reproducing individual voice, piano, violin, sax…. In such recordings the soundstage is intimate and the positioning of the instruments is easily defined and the Vantages can beautifully convey the intimacy. In these cases, the Summits might be an overkill, the main difference will probably be noticed in the bass region and a notch improvement in resolution and transparency, but probably not worth an extra $6k. Now, if you are going to use the Summits for acoustic music predominantly, and you love that concert hall experience of a chamber, symphony, or philharmonic orchestra – this is where the Summits will shine like a brand new black Cadillac in the Arizona sun. You will certainly appreciate the dynamics, bass extension and accuracy, spectacular pin-point imaging, resolution, and much larger and well defined soundstage, which resemble much closer the dimensions and experience of a real concert hall. If you want to be able to close your eyes and picture the exact poison from left-to-right, front-to-back, and bottom-to-top of a variety of woodwind, brass, percussion and string type instruments in an orchestra of say 40 performers, then the $6k might be worth every dollar of it. In such performances, where the stage is loaded with musical information, you will note the Vantages’ smaller resolution, the not so precise localization of individual instruments in space and you will notice that the size of the stage is somewhat compressed and not so realistic. The whole experience is just different. The Summits are in a totally different league there. In such performances the experience of listening to them is phenomenal. Of course you need highly professional recordings for that. So, depending on musical tastes, the Summits might not be worth the added cost for everyone. If large, live orchestral type music is not your thing, then the Vantages are a clear performance/cost winner and you will not be disappointed the least bit.

This is an outstanding write up. Well done.

Erik

I agree too. That was an excellent write up! Still haven't pulled the trigger yet. Some more pondering to do........

I have the same decision to make. I am a bit afraid of the limitation of the Vantages in the bass area compared to the summits. I want to listen to music in pure stereo mode, without a subwoofer :confused: . My room is about 860 square feet. I listen to various kinds of music, but not really to big synphonies.

Moneywise, I can easily pay vantages. I can pay summits too, but it will be more painful for sure. Anyway, the main point is that I don't want to regret my investment either way. If I buy Vantages and I think ouch..! I should have choosen Summits, I will be so desappointed, on the other way, If I buy Summits, but I am not even able to hear the difference, It would be foolish. For some reasons (the shop is 400 miles away and has no stock), I do not have the opportunity to do the test.

So guys, what should I buy this week-end ? Summits or Vantages ? (remember the room is 860 sq feet)

Thank you so much for helping in this crucial decision. I hope you answer also helps the one who started the thread. I thought it was better not to start another one with nearly the same question. Therefore I put it hear - nothing wrong with that I hope.

There is a good deal on a demo pair of summits in the classified section of this website. From a dealer so they will have a warranty. You should check those out.

So guys, what should I buy this week-end ? Summits or Vantages ? (remember the room is 860 sq feet)

Thank you so much for helping in this crucial decision. I hope you answer also helps the one who started the thread. I thought it was better not to start another one with nearly the same question. Therefore I put it hear - nothing wrong with that I hope.

The cosmic question... Vantage or Summits.

In the end, Vantage will leave you more money to scale up the upstream electronics. The Summits will allow you a better peek as to what Martin Logan really feels is their sound (better bass, better cohesion of the fundamental frequencies, more presence).

Your choice.

Latest posts

Back