Speaker listening distance

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Austin

Reaction score
Wanted to get some thoughts on this subject. I have ML 11a’s, and the Impressions manual states that the listening position should be greater than the distance between the speakers themselves. I know that there are a lot of variables with room sizes, etc. but in general are most of the ML set ups this way? My friend has ML Ascends that he has had for over 20 years. His set up has them 11 feet apart, and his sitting position is 10 feet. Mine are about 8 feet apart, and about 12 feet to the listening position. Both set ups are in living rooms, and not dedicated rooms. I get a very good center image, but my friend thinks the sound can be improved, based on how his set up sounds. When I move a foot and a half or two forward, I get a more immersive sound, but it’s more diffuse in general. I would say the soundstage is bigger, at the expense of a rock solid center image. There is still a center image, but it’s not near as good as with my original sitting position. It almost becomes more of a nearfield listening experience. I think my sound is better based on how both systems sound, but since he has had ML’s for so long, I was trying to get some opinions on this subject. I know “best” sound is subjective, so is there a wrong or right here?

If you like what you hear from soundstage perspective being nearer, but feel that some other parameters are going in the wrong direction, there should be easy cure for this.

Once you move forward you are changing your relative position the speaker and you basically toe-out the speakers and tilt them forward compared to your previous position. So after you move forward, try to toe-in the speakers too a bit, so that you get the same angle - should bring the focus back.

I personally do 2.4m speaker distance and 3.0m listening, with quite some toe-in [more than ML recommended 1/3] and have speakers tilt vertically.

Hi Carlos,

One thing is for certain, one could experiment with Speakers placement forever, discovering new point of sound heard all the times.
Good to have friend sharing same interest so you both can play with your speakers positioning.
There is nothing wrong with your or his way of speaker setting, the main point is to enjoy the music you like to listen and try to avoid becoming clinical music listener.
I do believe your ML 11a's are more than capable of producing very rich and rewarding sound in your living room.
Enjoy experimenting and have a fun.

Cheers
Zoran from Australia

If you like what you hear from soundstage perspective being nearer, but feel that some other parameters are going in the wrong direction, there should be easy cure for this.

Once you move forward you are changing your relative position the speaker and you basically toe-out the speakers and tilt them forward compared to your previous position. So after you move forward, try to toe-in the speakers too a bit, so that you get the same angle - should bring the focus back.

I personally do 2.4m speaker distance and 3.0m listening, with quite some toe-in [more than ML recommended 1/3] and have speakers tilt vertically.
If the speakers are moved closer to your position and the toe in changes, do you think running your DSP again would yield beneficial results? I'm assuming it might help a bit, since the position of the microphone is closer to the speakers and some other parameters are different.

You may want to become sensitive to making increasingly smaller changes, in speaker placement. For example, where a move of a foot or two yields a pronounced effect, hear what a six inch change does, in either direction. Then keep making smaller changes until you sense you are "there." In a way, you are challenging yourself... "what is the smallest speaker movement that yields improved sound?"

You can do this many placement parameters. Start with distance from front wall, then side walls, then toe in, and lastly, rake.

Keep it fun, since the best plac ement can both violate many "rules" and can be stumbled upon quite by accident.

Wanted to get some thoughts on this subject. I have ML 11a’s, and the Impressions manual states that the listening position should be greater than the distance between the speakers themselves. I know that there are a lot of variables with room sizes, etc. but in general are most of the ML set ups this way? My friend has ML Ascends that he has had for over 20 years. His set up has them 11 feet apart, and his sitting position is 10 feet. Mine are about 8 feet apart, and about 12 feet to the listening position. Both set ups are in living rooms, and not dedicated rooms. I get a very good center image, but my friend thinks the sound can be improved, based on how his set up sounds. When I move a foot and a half or two forward, I get a more immersive sound, but it’s more diffuse in general. I would say the soundstage is bigger, at the expense of a rock solid center image. There is still a center image, but it’s not near as good as with my original sitting position. It almost becomes more of a nearfield listening experience. I think my sound is better based on how both systems sound, but since he has had ML’s for so long, I was trying to get some opinions on this subject. I know “best” sound is subjective, so is there a wrong or right here?
Use the recommendations and suggested tools from the manufacturers to create a baseline, then adjust to your taste. No matter the situation, nothing is carved in stone in this hobby and our ears are the judge and jury.

Use the recommendations and suggested tools from the manufacturers to create a baseline, then adjust to your taste. No matter the situation, nothing is carved in stone in this hobby and our ears are the judge and jury.
That's is also my view. ML has an excelent manual included with their speakers - way better than other brands I've seen. Follow this and then try to tweak yourself. I am about 1.7 times from the baseline and tweaked the toeing a bit. I use Moody Blues Procession to fine tune. When the rain is sounding like standing in the rain I have the optimal sound - and the toeing is quite sensitive. With respest to the vertical positon this is what ML is saying, but the EM X feet can no be ajusted to that, not even close.

Thank you all for suggestions and tips, doing some critical listening later tonight and will make some adjustments.

Back