Using a 4" LCD monitor for a level meter?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
I'm just starting a new pair of amps, made from the chassis of a pair of old Yamaha M series amps that fried up crispy. The window on the front panel, where the original level meters used to be, leaves me with enough room to either show off the output tubes or to do something creative. I was wondering if I mounted up a 4" LCD monitor if there would be some kind of meter display, or some sort of color display I could rig up, in the manner of the old school devices that could be hooked up to a TV back in the day? I've looked around on the 'net but had no luck. Any software boffins out there with any ideas? Perhaps a spectrum display or an oscilloscope setup?
TIA!:D

No specific ideas on software, but it should be possible to set-up an IC circuit that acts as an oscilloscope display or a virtual power meter, though if set up like the WMP visualization it won't be accurate though it will be pretty. Good Luck.

Showing the tubes is SO MUCH EASIER and if you're unlucky, the tubes will provide a light show of their own:ROFL:

Actually, I just had an OD3 gas discharge voltage regulator tube go in my amp.

It still worked - as the amp still seemed to operate normally - but the constant blue glow this tube usually emits turned into a dancing blue blob that moved around inside the tube with alarming rapidity and randomness. A pretty excellent sight, actually. Shame they don't look like that by default!

Actually, I just had an OD3 gas discharge voltage regulator tube go in my amp.
Hey! This is MY thread! Hijack it again and I'll have to pelt you with half-cooked macaroni noodles.:ROFL:
I'm going to stick with leaving the output tubes visible through the window.
Thanks guys for the advice and the fun!:D

Back