System #275 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to the Martin Logan night at Audio Solutions in Broadripple in November?

I sense some strange energy at Joe's house I will bet after a couple of drinks and 2 minutes to midnight things get a little out of this world am I wrong ???

Steve,

I was in bed asleep well before midnight, obviously you were not. Are you sure that sense of strange energy was not smoke.:ROFL:

Lucky man, Joe! First CLX I've seen in a member's home. I was certain it was going to be Dorgay's, but you beat him to the punch. Reading your quick synopsis of the CLX vs the Summit gives me an idea of what to look for when I actually get to hear one of them CLXs....

Is this the legendary Joey V?? the true father of Tom's Summits? The kid?
No pun intended. Thanks, yes I am very lucky, no doubt. I got them on August 26th and I had no intention of posting them but a member or two kept encouraging me so I thought, what the heck. Anyway, I know it has been said before, but after listening to the CLX and the Summits, I think I may have stumbled on one of the probably many reasons that they do sound different. Althought the Summit has a great sound stage and that can be directly attributed to the ESL stat panels, the CLX has an even bigger more involved sound stage, because the panels are full range and bigger. At least that is what I have come up with so far. The sound stage on these things is absolutely astonishing and I think it is because the ESL panels are producing more sound of all types of instruments that seem to be in the same sound stage that was just a little limited by the Summit ESL reproduction. If that makes any sense. I guess the moral of the story is to take music you are very familiar with and music that has a lot of different instruments so you can hear and see the soundstage of the CLX when you audition them. How is that for obvious :)

Last edited:
Right now, I am intending to be there. I wll let you know if I can not make it.

Webinattor,

What time are you going to Audio Solutions on Thursday? They are located at the southeast corner of 64th and Guilford, which is a couple blocks east of College Avenue at 64th in Broad Ripple. Park around back if you can. I should get there about 6:30 and probably will stay until 8:30 or maybe 9:00. Introduce yourself to Rick the dealer/owner and I will ask him who you are when I get there. I believe they are expecting 20 or more people plus their guests, so it could be a pretty big crowd. They will have CLX, Summit and Spire demo systems to name a few. ML rep will be in attendance also. Should be some killer demo music too.

I think I will keep it.

Well, over the holidays I got a Descent i and replaced the Sunfire SQ Sub in my CLX music system. After reading Jeff's impression of the Descent i and the CLX together, I figured it was definitely worth a try. Over the holidays I spent many hours listening to various artists and the bottom line is the Descent i has a faster tighter bass than the Sunfire, but it is pretty close. The one factor that is the differentiator is that fact that the Descent i seemlessly integrates with the CLX and the Descent i just disappears. At one point I accidently unplugged the Descent i when I was moving it around and for a couple of days I played the CLXs and did not know the bass was unplugged. I had to check something else and noticed the Descent i had it's plug undone from the back of the Descent i. I guess this basaically proved to me that one, the CLX does not need a sub for every piece of music and two, the Descent i can integrate so well that at times you literally can not tell where the bass is coming from or even whether it is on or not and that is the way it should be. Anyway, thanks Jeff for the review with the Descent i, I was skeptical at first but now I am a believer. The CLX with the Descent i dialed in is probably the equal of just about any speaker system at any price point. Thanks again Jeff, I was lost, but now I am found....lost again.:music:

Okay, quick update that might help someone else. I had two PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(PPP) in my CLX 5.1 system. By the way, the PPP is the real deal and I love them, they make a noticable difference in the sound of your equipment, for the better and I have 3 of them in my systems. Anyway, one of the PPP was driving a Sunfire 5400 amp which is a very high current amp. Unfortunately, the Sunfire/CLX combo was drawing too much power for the PPP to keep up and it blew. I checked the owners manual of the Sunfire and the PPP and sure enough the CLXs, Logos, and Sources, were drawing too much power from the Sunfire for the PPP to keep up in regenerated power. The way I knew sopmething was up, was because the internal fan which only comes on when the PPP gets hot, which is never usually, came on and stayed on 24/7. The PPP also developed a clicking noise to go with the fan noise. So I started looking into another non-restrictive power conditioner. Based on recommendations from this forum, I decided to get a Running Springs Audio Danielle. It will handle up to 2400 watts and the PPP was limited to about 1200 watts so in theory the RSA should have no problem with the Sunfire. I will install it and make a comment down the road as to how it stacks up against the PPPs. Actually all I want is similar if not identical performance to the PPP from the RSA. We will see, hey maybe it will be better, at least some on this forum think it is. I hope....I guess I am betting they are right as the Danielle is not cheap.

Hey man,

I think you'll be found again when you replace the power plant with a Danielle....

Happy listening and let me know what you think!

Jeff,

I know you have heard this before, but "You were right again". I actually had my doubts that the Running Springs could be that much better than the Power Plant Premier but it is true. I was actually hoping that the Running Springs was just the equal of the Power Plant Premier but after listening with the help of a friend in a double blind test, I was able to pick the Running Springs as the preferred sound 100% of the time. I would not have thought that was possible. I really liked the Power Plant Premier, I own 3 of them at 2K each and they were a big upgrade from my PC8 conditioner which they replaced. So far I have been only listening to the Sunfire power amp on the Danielle, but I am guessing that I could put the McCormack MAP-1 and the UDP-1 Deluxe on the Danielle as well and I would be impressed again. Unfortunately, I can't switch the McCormack power cord like I did the Power Amp for a double blind test because I will lose the surround sound progam balance each time and setting the balance is a bit invovled and time consuming but Jeff if you say that it would indeed lift a vail on the McCormack gear like it did on the Sunfire 5400 then I am going to do it. Now the Running Springs was twice the money of the Power Plant Premier but you were right, it is worth it.

Also thought you would like to know that I already ordered a PS Audio DACLinkIII based on your review of that piece in "Tone Audio". I figured if you were so absolutely friggin right about the Running Springs then I would be hard pressed to top the improvement the DACLinkIII will give me on my two channel digital sources that I am already processing into 5.1 surround sound with the McCormack MAP-1. I am currently listening to Dire Straits Brothers In Arms SACD 5.1, again there is a definite vail that has lifted, I am sitting here typing and I am stunned. Thanks for keeping after me, without you I would not have got the Running Springs, nor the DACLinkIII. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I hope this doesn't sound to goofy but listening to my system with the Danielle in the mix was one of those epiphany moments when you make a change/upgrade to your system and you are just shocked at what was missing before. I hope you don't take this any other way than the fact that I am just blown away and grateful. If I can ever help you with something don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again.:bowdown:

And to think you don't even like MCH:D

One quick question, as I said I can't do an A/B comparison on the McCormack gear like I did with the Amplifier. Is the sonic difference worth the effort to switch the McCormack gear over to the Danielle as well?

I would definitely plug it in to the Danielle....

Plug your flat screen in too, you'll see a marked diff.

I was really afraid you would say that. Now I have to figure out how to replace my Power Plants upstairs in the HT too!

Just listening to Elton John Yellow Brick Road SACD 5.1 and it almost knocked me out of my chair, literally. This is incredible!

The continuing saga.....thanks again to TonePub.:bowdown: On his review and recommendation I added a new PS Audio Digital Link III DAC to my system. Based on Jeff's review the Digital Link III DAC should bring my current CD collection close if not equal to my SACD and DVD Audio collection. I got the Digital Link III DAC yesterday and last night I was up until 2:30 am listening to various CDs from my collection. Wow, the Digital Link III DAC delivers. I am in debt to Jeff again. So far he has not steered me wrong which is amazing because navigating the treacherous waters of Audiodum as we all know is akin to having a drunken sailor drive a car on wet land. At times it looks like he knows what he is doing, right up to the moment he drives in to the water.

Seriously, if anyone has been considering adding one of these to their own system, they just went on sale for seven hundred bucks which is three hundred off of the list price of a grand.

Jeff,

I know you have heard this before, but "You were right again". I actually had my doubts that the Running Springs could be that much better than the Power Plant Premier but it is true. I was actually hoping that the Running Springs was just the equal of the Power Plant Premier but after listening with the help of a friend in a double blind test, I was able to pick the Running Springs as the preferred sound 100% of the time. I would not have thought that was possible. I really liked the Power Plant Premier, I own 3 of them at 2K each and they were a big upgrade from my PC8 conditioner which they replaced. So far I have been only listening to the Sunfire power amp on the Danielle, but I am guessing that I could put the McCormack MAP-1 and the UDP-1 Deluxe on the Danielle as well and I would be impressed again.

Hi,

How would you describe the sonic signature of the Running Springs compared to the powerplant? Have you tried any other components yet, or only the amp?

If I plug my CJ 350 into the wall, I get more bass oomph and better dynamics. If I plug it into my ESP Essence, it trims the bass and reveals more mids/ highs. It's a toss up. I tried Transparent, it gave me stronger bass, but less mid/ high resolution. Is Running Springs really better, or just a different flavor?

Thanks

David,
Let me give you some background.
First I had two new 20 amp dedicated circuits with hospital grade outlets put in place of standard wall circuits. I did not really hear any difference when I did this. All of this was done for what I call my CLX 5.1 music system. I then installed the Power Plant Premier and immediately heard a difference. Backgraound got much blacker/quieter and overall I very much liked the things I heard and saw with the PPP. To my ear there was a vail lifted by the Power Plant and there was definitely a darker background. I definitely preferred the Power Plant Premier to the wall outlets. The only issue I had was with the power amp over-running the PPP. My Sunfire TGA 5400 can double down as the impedance goes down. Hence as the CLXs would go down the 400 watts at 8 ohms would go up dramatically to 1600 watts at 2 ohms. Anyway, PS Audio did not recommend that I run the CLX setup at high volumes because it would risk over-running the PPP and I could not live with that. So I talked with Jeff Dorgay about his experience with several power conditioners and he recommended the Running Springs Audio line of conditioners. He said it would handle the Sunfire and anything else I had. I bought the Running Springs Danielle hoping that it was sonicly at least equal to the PPP and it turned out that it was just a tad better. I did multiple a/b comparisons running the Running Springs and then switching to the Power Plant Premier. My experctation was for the Running Springs to be some what close to the PPP but unexpectedly the Running Springs actually trumped the PPP. It was most noticable in the upper end of the frequency spectrum, but it was definitely there. It was almost like the PPP had a very slight restriction on dynamics. But in an A/B comparison with the same somg playing over and over I did this about 12 to 15 times, I preferred the Running Springs 100% of the time and that as they say was that. I sold the two PPPs that I had running the CLX 5.1 but I still have one PPP upstairs in my HT. I am getting a Running Springs Jaco for that system and I will be moving the last PPP to the bedroom system. The PPP is a good line conditioner the Running Springs is quite a bit more expensive but it does seem to hold the edge.

Back