System #336 (Summit)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eccleswood

Reaction score
1. Member Name: (Sean)

2. Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

3. ML Model(s): Martin Logan Summit, Martin Logan Descent

4. Year Purchased: purchased october 2007

5. Mods/Changes: no mods

6. Associated Electronics: (classe cdp-300 universal player, classe ssp-600 pre pro, pioneer elite pd-f27 301 disc changer, pioneer elite pdr-f19rw cd player/recorder, proceed bpa-3 3ch amplifier, krell fpb-600 amplifier, transparent audio reference xl interconnects, transparent audio reference speaker cable)

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: I started my Martin Logan journey in 2002 with the purchase of a pair of cls iia's, i powered them with a proceed hpa 2. i was satisfied with the musical results on jazz and acoustic instrument pieces, but was dissatisfied with the dynamic range on pop music, r&b and reggae. I then made a move to the cls iiz, this speaker was able to take a lot more volume therefore satisfying my needs for more dynamic range. In my quest for getting the most out of this legendary speaker i decided to add more power, that is when i added the krell fpb 600 and the descent to complete my low end bass needs. At this point i had hit new level, my system had come alive wt the addition of the krell and the descent.

In my quest for just a little more i was told to replace my proceed avp2 pre pro with a tube pre amp. i was unwilling to go with a straight pre amp due to the fact i wanted to do 2ch and HT, so i compromised and bought a tube like pre pro (classe ssp-600). The classe gear smoothed out the sound and gave a more laid back listening experience, i believe it was a step in the right direction.

In late 2006 a ventured to a local retailer for an audition of the new martin logan flagship (summit). After leaving that audition i went home and started to figure out how i could afford to purchase these speakers. And here i am still enjoying and tweaking. This is a great hobby!!!

My next move will be a tube pre amp.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• martin logan owners pics.jpg
    martin logan owners pics.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3,477
  • martin logan owners 3.jpg
    martin logan owners 3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,952
  • martinlogan owners 4.jpg
    martinlogan owners 4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,594
  • martinlogan owners 8.jpg
    martinlogan owners 8.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,474
Last edited:
Very nice looking!!!! I would love to see the rest of your room if you take some more pictures.

Glen

Welcome to the club, Sean.

Nice, clean setup you have there. I will be interested to read your impressions about different tube preamps if you plan on auditioning a few, especially as they compare to the Classe you have now.

Anthony

Last edited:
In my quest for just a little more i was told to replace my proceed avp2 pre pro with a tube pre amp. i was unwilling to go with a straight pre amp due to the fact i wanted to do 2ch and HT, so i compromised and bought a tube like pre pro....
Get yourself a tube pre with HT bypass and you're golden.

Lovely system and room!

Get yourself a tube pre with HT bypass and you're golden.

Lovely system and room!

Sean......as Ken said above (FWIW those of us with ARC pre's have this feature)

also as Ken said........good lookin' system ! :D

Awesome ! always nice to see another Toronto Logan owner on here ! :bowdown:

defiantly my style ! looks super clean and powerful !

for what it's worth the McIntosh C2300 is an unbelievable sounding tube pre-amp and I believe would match your decor ! it has many upper echelon features that you may appreciate that even more expensive models from other makers do not have. I think the only way to do 2 channel and HT properly is to have separate systems powering your speakers that you can switch between. I am still working on a hi quality cable switch that I can produce to do this seamlessly.

Last edited:
Wow! Beautiful setup! I'm curious if those are diffusors or absorption that you have behind the Summits? Also, what are they composed of, and are they commercially available?

I, too, highly recommend a tube preamp with home theater bypass. IMHO, gives you the "best of both worlds!"

Lastly, are you running your Descent for two-channel, or just home theater? If the former, how have you integrated the sub? Somebody just started a specific thread on that exact issue...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10126

Last edited:
Beautiful room. The color tone of the wood on the Summits, the acoustic treatment and the floors. against the dark grays and blacks is stunning.
How about more pics. Were all addicted to pics.

Hi Sean, Just gorgeous looking room and setup you have there. The color coordination and equipment arrangement works for me. I also bet it sounds fantastic. :music:

Wow! Beautiful setup! I'm curious if those are diffusors or absorption that you have behind the Summits? Also, what are they composed of, and are they commercially available?

I, too, highly recommend a tube preamp with home theater bypass. IMHO, gives you the "best of both worlds!"

Lastly, are you running your Descent for two-channel, or just home theater? If the former, how have you integrated the sub? Somebody just started a specific thread on that exact issue...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10126
A friend of mine ordered them online they are absorbers not diffusers. they are made of a foam material.

I use the descent for both 2ch and HT. mostly for Ht because the summits do a great job full range. when i do use it for 2ch i cut the sub off at 40hz and use the lfe input. when i had the cls iiz, i set the phase to 270 degrees and used the stereo input on the descent from the stereo output of the pre amp (not LFE) and i found it blended well corner loaded set to approx level 1 to 1.5. the stereo inputs work a lot better on the descent for 2ch than the LFE input. it seems to bypass the servo circuit.

Nice setting.

I have a question:

In your listing, you said you use a Classe ssp-600.

In your picture, we can see an Anthem processor.

I suppose that you don't use both.

If the classe is an upgrade, Which Anthem Is it replacing?

Any comment?

Nice setting.

I have a question:

In your listing, you said you use a Classe ssp-600.

In your picture, we can see an Anthem processor.

I suppose that you don't use both.

If the classe is an upgrade, Which Anthem Is it replacing?

Any comment?

My av rack is comprised of two systems. The anthem avm 50 in the picture is used for a 5.1 surround tv room upstairs the classe ssp 600 witch is also in the rack controls the main listen room/theatre. I refinished the basement last year and ran av and control wires through the whole house. my av rack controls 5 different rooms in the house, 2 av and 3 audio only.

Nice set up Sean. Your room looks great.Is the ceiling and the wall behind your speakers painted black or a dark grey? I am just down the 401 from you in Belleville.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Gorgeous, clean setup! Nice choice of colors and contrasts!

What's the brand, or website for the absorbers, and what effects did you notice after mounting them?

Cheers!

Back