Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DMP was one of the earliest audiophile-grade digital studios. Their initial success was with Flim and the BB's. Unfortunately, they're no longer in business, but you can still occasionally still find their older recordings.

Way back in this thread I mentioned newcomer Melody Gardot's Worrisome Heart.

Her 2nd album My One And Only Thrill will be released on April 28. Amazon is offering it for pre-sale now for only $7.99! There is also a preview video on their site...
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/One-Only-Thrill-Melody-Gardot/dp/B001NESPHC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239449767&sr=8-2"]http://www.amazon.com/One-Only-Thrill-Melody-Gardot/dp/B001NESPHC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1239449767&sr=8-2[/URL]

I picked up Worrisome Heart last week and just preordered this one, good stuff!

I had picked up "Worrisome Heart" last year when Alan had recommended it here and I agree, it's a very good album. One track in particular "Love me Like a River" is just amazing in my book, but the whole album is enjoyable all the way through. I heard a track off of the new one last night on XM and it sounded quite good also. I believe it's releasing on Tuesday. I'll be picking it up.

Same thing with that Sara Bareilles disc Churchill. My wife showed me a performance of her from "The View" last year, so I got it for her as a present and got hooked from the first listen. Definitely something more there than your typical pop princess - the girl can write amazingly well crafted songs and has a great voice and delivery. It's a VERY, VERY good album.

I had picked up "Worrisome Heart" last year when Alan had recommended it here and I agree, it's a very good album. One track in particular "Love me Like a River" is just amazing in my book, but the whole album is enjoyable all the way through.

Tim that is also my favorite track on that album.
Whenever I listen to it, that song is stuck in my head the rest of the day.

I let the Ipod pick most of the songs this morning, Once the ears had their tune up I went with Sissel gift of love. if you have not heard her you really need to check her out. man! what a voice.

I concur with Ken on this pick. Not only a voice but a face to match.

It's been all CD's for me so far today. I picked up these three last night. Jane Monheit's latest effort titled "the lovers, the dreamers and me" is typical fare for her, that is to say she's got a powerful voice and perfect pitch, although sometimes lacking in emotion. Still, it's a good collection and is very well recorded, with a standout track being her take on Fiona Apple's "Slow Like Honey". Next up was Ray Lamontagne's 2006 album "Till the Sun Turns Black" a very good album all the way through. The song "You Can Bring Me Flowers" (NOT the Neil Diamond/Barbra Streisand dirge) sounds simply awesome on the CLS's. Right now I've got Ryan Adams and the Cardinals "Cardinology" spinning.

Attachments

• MonheitLovers.jpg
    MonheitLovers.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 149
  • LamontagneTilltheSun.jpg
    LamontagneTilltheSun.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 144
  • AdamsCardinoligy.jpg
    AdamsCardinoligy.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 154
Tim, I used to be a BIG fan of Jane Monheit, until someone pointed out to me that she ends her phrases with a gutteral "uh". Despite that, I bought "The Lovers the Dreamers and Me", and absolutely HATE it - listen to her singing "Something Cool": "I'd like something cool uh", "It's too bad uh I can't remember your name uh". I really can't listen past that. My copy is up for sale on amazon.

Tim, I used to be a BIG fan of Jane Monheit, until someone pointed out to me that she ends her phrases with a gutteral "uh". Despite that, I bought "The Lovers the Dreamers and Me", and absolutely HATE it - listen to her singing "Something Cool": "I'd like something cool uh", "It's too bad uh I can't remember your name uh". I really can't listen past that. My copy is up for sale on amazon.

Yes Bernard, I didn't care for that song either. I skipped past it about halfway through. I did like some of the other songs though.

First disc of the day, Keith Emerson's latest. If you are a prog fan, you will love this one!

Attachments

• NM-emerson.jpg
    NM-emerson.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 140
First up for me this morning was Kenny Burrell with Coleman Hawkins, "Bluesey Burrell". This is the 45RPM from analogue Productions and has impeccable sound. Coleman's sax jumps from the speakers!

510865788_UCAXK-M.jpg

Next up was one of my guitar heroes from the 60's and 70's, Tommy Bolin, "Private Eyes". I first discovered Tommy when he was the lead guitar for the Colorado band, Zephyr. He left Zephyr and joined the James Gang and then Deep Purple. Then he struck out under his own name and made "Teaser" and "Private Eyes", before he died. I've got the original release vinyl, a re-release and a CD version. The original release sounds the best to me; it sounds like it was made from a master tape and the other two sound like they were made from two or three generations down, in comparison.
510865823_opHhB-M.jpg

Last, but not least was a gold CD version of Pink Floyd's, "Wish You Were Here". This version is from the "limited edition mastersound album classics from Columbia and Epic records, incorporating Sony's 20-BIT Super Bit Mapping." Actually, this version does sound better than my vinyl version.
510865807_fuZjG-M.jpg

I got to spend some good quality of time in front of the Monoliths today. I listened to the following cover to cover.

MFSL : U2’s The Joshua Tree
MFSL: Nirvana’s In Utero
Queen’s Greatest Hits III (A great audiophile CD)
Diana Krall’s Quiet nights

Attachments

• U2.jpg
    U2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 208
  • nirvana.jpg
    nirvana.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 219
  • queen.jpg
    queen.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Diana.jpg
    Diana.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 217
I just spent the morning with the most recent batch of Blue Note reissues. I started things off with Sonny Rollins "Blue Note Vol 2". Followed that up with Paul Chambers and his top flight sextet on "Whims of Chambers". Finally I spun John Patton's "Along Came John" featuring Patton on organ and yet another bumper crop of supporting players.

These Blue Note reissues contine to impresss me. They are incredibly uniform in their high quality and awesome sound. It's amazing to hear 50 year old recordings that transport the players into your listening room.

Attachments

• RollinsChambersPatton.jpg
    RollinsChambersPatton.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 203
First on the turntable today was "Getz/Gilberto". Very nice sounds coming from this 180gr re-release...
516199391_7CjMb-M.jpg

Next up was one of my Blue Note re-issues on 200 gr from Classic, "Horace-Scope", by the Horace Silver Quintet. Also very nice sounds...
516199453_QkLUm-M.jpg

Followed by the Blue Note 45RPM re-issue from Analogue Productions, "the cat walk", by Donald Byrd. More nice sounds...
516199472_tQ8fm-M.jpg

Finished up by listening to Eric Clapton's, "Reptile". This standard weight double album had a very silent background, surprisingly among the quietest of this group. It also had nice sounds...
516200430_MsF53-M.jpg

Worked all day Sunday, so today is my listening day! Just got the new Jake Shimabukuro Live CD... amazing what this virtuoso ukulele player can do!

Attachments

• Jake.jpg
    Jake.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 184
Jambezi Marimba Band - Jambezi
Beth Hart - Leave the Light On

.....and finally a Martin Logan inspired album title:

Powderfinger - Odyssey Number Five

Attachments

• jambezi.jpg
    jambezi.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 158
  • bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 161
  • pf.jpg
    pf.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 173
Flip Wilson - The Devil Made Me Buy This Dress. Great recording, and Flip's voice just hangs between the speakers. Really shows off the Logans :D
I bought about 1,000 records yesterday, all sorts of titles. Most of them are in pretty good shape, some not, but they're all pretty dirty. I'm looking for a decent way to clean some of the better titles without a RCM and keep them, then who knows what with the other 950.

Attachments

• FLIP Wilason.jpg
    FLIP Wilason.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Records.jpg
    Records.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 147
Back