Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today it is MOFIs Frank Sinatra Nice N Easy, ...

Cherian, did MoFi do their usual stellar job on this one? My very very old copy has so many scratches on it (Don't loan out records!!) that I need to replace it. I'm sure the MoFi version sounds even better than the original.

Lot's of good stuff spinning this morning...
After that came Patricia Barber on a 45RPM Mo-Fi of "Modern Cool". This is one of my favorites by her.

Tim, this album is one of the few disappointments I've had with a MoFi 45rpm reissues. I purchased this one and her "Nightclub" album while at RMAF. While the "Nightclub" album sounds glorious, the "Modern Cool" sounds like the highs were truncated. Have you noticed a sound difference between those two albums? I didn't notice the lack of air and highs on the SACD MoFi version of "Modern Cool", but then again, that was one of the first Patricia Barber SACDs I purchased. Soon, I'll compare the SACD to the vinyl to see if the problem is the way it was recorded or a problem with the vinyl transfer.

Steve

Yes, MOFI did a super job on this CD. I have only had it for 2 months now and have listened to it at least 20 times. My wife enjoys this CD too.

Tim, this album is one of the few disappointments I've had with a MoFi 45rpm reissues. I purchased this one and her "Nightclub" album while at RMAF. While the "Nightclub" album sounds glorious, the "Modern Cool" sounds like the highs were truncated. Have you noticed a sound difference between those two albums? I didn't notice the lack of air and highs on the SACD MoFi version of "Modern Cool", but then again, that was one of the first Patricia Barber SACDs I purchased. Soon, I'll compare the SACD to the vinyl to see if the problem is the way it was recorded or a problem with the vinyl transfer.

Steve, I have to agree. The 45 RPM transfer is inferior to both the SACD and my original vinyl copy on Premonition. I just had it sitting around from some comparisons I was doing last night on my CD, the SACD and the 2 versions on vinyl. It's NOT the version I would recommend to others, while I certainly would recommend even the redbook CD for the music.

Steve, I have to agree. The 45 RPM transfer is inferior to both the SACD and my original vinyl copy on Premonition. I just had it sitting around from some comparisons I was doing last night on my CD, the SACD and the 2 versions on vinyl. It's NOT the version I would recommend to others, while I certainly would recommend even the redbook CD for the music.

Gulp......now you guys got me wondering.....since I only have the 45 rpm Mo-Fi pressing I have nothing to compare it to. Ok, I'm going to put it on my playlist and report back.................

Upchurch/Tennyson

A little vinyl R&B for a Sunday morning. This was kind of a throw away album by the great Chicago guitar/bass player. But there are a few hidden gems on here and some great session men that went on to have pretty good careers of their own, including David Sanborn and Bob James.

Attachments

• g00106ig97o.jpg
    g00106ig97o.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 189
Gulp......now you guys got me wondering.....since I only have the 45 rpm Mo-Fi pressing I have nothing to compare it to. Ok, I'm going to put it on my playlist and report back.................

Dave, I posted my concerns about this pressing in this thread (Post 7) back in 2006...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=588

It's still a good album, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, the other versions are just better sonically. I've got the original vinyl on Premonition and the SACD on MoFi. I'd recommend either of them most highly.

Last edited:
I've had to work all day, so I've been listening to stuff on the Sonos.

To start it was ladies only. Ani DiFranco kicked things off with "Little Plastic Castle". Followed that up with Shelby Lynne's "I am Shelby Lynne". Then on to Chan Marshal aka Cat Power in her effort "The Greatest". Since then it's been a playlist of all sorts of stuff I titled "Mellow Spacey Deck Music".

Attachments

• ani_lilPink.jpg
    ani_lilPink.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 158
  • shelby_Iam.jpg
    shelby_Iam.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 160
  • CatPower_Greatest.jpg
    CatPower_Greatest.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 173
Dave, I posted my concerns about this pressing in this thread (Post 7) back in 2006...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=588

It's still a good album, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, the other versions are just better sonically. I've got the original vinyl on Premonition and the SACD on MoFi. I'd recommend either of them most highly.

hey Tim,

just got done listening to sides 3 & 4 (I love "Company" on side 3, great Percussion) and again as I said two years ago It sounds good but you're right I need to compare it to the other releases like you have so as to get it in perspective.

I had the house to myself for a bit this morning, so I shook the rafters a bit when I first got up with Berlioz on the Reference Records release of "Symphonie Fantastiqe" with Varujan Kojian conducting the Utah Symphony Orchestra.

Next up was Ike Quebec on the Analog Productions Blue Note reissue of "It Might as well be Spring". I can't get over how good these recordings sound. Analog Productions and our friend Chad Kassem have done an amazing job with this whole series.

I've always been a big fan of Rickie Lee Jones eponymous debut. It still sounds great to me. Hard to believe this LP is 33 years old!

Attachments

• BerliozQuebecJones.jpg
    BerliozQuebecJones.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 211
Some female vocals this AM!

Listening this AM to some great female vocals!

This session started with Carrie Rodriguez--She Ain't Me, great stuff with fiddle and electric mandolin!

Next was a new disc I picked up a week or so ago, Adele 19, great stuff from the UK songstress. On some tracks she sounds a little like Linda Perry of 4 Non Blondes.

Finished up this session with Sara Barilles--Little Voice, IMHO not your average pop music, but good stuff indeed!

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 196
I let the Ipod pick most of the songs this morning, Once the ears had their tune up I went with Sissel gift of love. if you have not heard her you really need to check her out. man! what a voice.

Attachments

• sissel.jpg
    sissel.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 195
I know I missed this by a day but stuff happens.
This is a very good SACD hybrid. Easy to listen to, very relaxing. The main feature through out is Steve Davis on drums/percussion. Soprano sax, bass, guitar and piano round out the group. A couple of great bass and percussion tracks.
The recording is as good as anything I have heard. DMP is the label I will be trying out some of there offerings. For $15 it is well worth checking out.

Attachments

• steve davis project (Medium).jpg
    steve davis project (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 184
Back