Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was going to listen today but it will have to be later .... We have been having fires as of the cold weather and after a few beers and no more firewood we just threw um in:eek: ............. look who were the culprits.

Actually they are off to the sides as to be safe and not melt the Mylar. You can see the blue tape marks where they will go back. :music:

Attachments

• S6300983 (Small).JPG
    S6300983 (Small).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 120
Just wrote a short review on this one ALO, Roses and Clover and Luka Bloom, Tribe (review coming in the near future).

Attachments

• alo.jpg
    alo.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Tribe.jpg
    Tribe.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 121
been up since 6:00 with the time change that would be 5:00 Love it an additional hour to listen before the Lions come on. Started with a few ladies Eva Cassidy, Margo Timmons, Mary Black, Allison Krauss, Right now Alan Parsons I ROBOT.

Great stuff. Do you have the HDAD version of I robot?

That version is awsome for any AP fan.

thanks for the heads up on the HDAD version, I just checked Acoustic Sounds and it is back ordered. Currently listening to Leon Redbone Live.

Attachments

• leon live.jpg
    leon live.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 110
Damn Wayne that's one I don't have !!!! how good is it ???

Me thinks......me wants !!!!!

Dave,
I've probably had this CD for over 10 years, original relese date was 1955.
Hate to admit it, but this morning is the first time I've listened to it on the Logans.
Something I'm probably gonna listen to more often, As far as I know this was the only studio album these 2 did together. I'm sure your familiar with their live Drum Battle recordings, this one blows them away. 2nd track has a 6 or 7 minute drum solo, track 3 has Roy Eldridge and Dizzy Gillespie,(if I remember correctly, couldn't find the CD in my collection, pulled it up on the server this morning) and their trumpets sound like they're right in the room. Some great sax on this one also,Illinois Jacquet, if I remember correctly.

If it's out of print or you can't find a copy let me know I can burn you one.

Also, while there, order the new Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet in DVD-A while you're at it. It's coming out next week.

small612.jpg

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/639/

It arrived a few weeks ago and I'm relistening to it this am.

Man this is totally awesome on DVD-A. The music is heavier than prior PT's, but the deep and complex composition, excellent mixing and astounding clarity makes this THE demo piece for friends who dig heavy rock.

Another highly recommended recording and music album from Porcupine Tree.

BTW- This is one that when listened to critically on the ML's achieves audio bliss

Tony Overwater- OP (Turtle Records)... superb Redbook CD jazz recording that I picked up at RMAF, as suggested by May Audio. Highly recommended! I'm looking for more of the same.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Wim Kegel
Maarten Ornstein
Tony Overwater
Ernst Reijseger
Ack van Rooyen
</TD><TD vAlign=top>drums
tenor saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet
bass
cello on tracks 5, 6, 10
flugelhorn on tracks 2, 4, 6, 7
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attachments

• OP.jpg
    OP.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 110
I started off wanting a mellow morning, so I put on "Blue Rose" (Rosemary Clooney and Duke Ellington. This is a Columbia re-release (manufactured by purepleasure records) and I've got to say I was amazed at the sound quality and the lack of surface noise. Rosemary sounds like she is in the room. You don't get the whole orchestra recorded as well as today's recordings, but the solos are immaculate.
After that, I was ready for some more up tempo stuff, so I pulled out "Orbit" (Neil Larsen). If you liked Weather Report or Return To Forever, you'd like this. This is one of those records that really show off your system, as it is extremely dynamic and perfectly recorded. This is produced by Straight Ahead Records and I cannot recommend their stuff highly enough.

217249859-M-0.jpg

217249621-M.jpg

Blood Sweat & Tears ~ S/T ~ on SACD

Ride a painted pony, let the spinning wheel spin!

Attachments

• udsacd2009large.jpg
    udsacd2009large.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 161
Blackfield

I'm definitely on a Steve Wilson kick lately, but the dude is a master composer and engineer. His 5.1 mixes for Porcupine Tree are legendary, and here comes his other project, Blackfield, with a live performance that has been expertly remixed by Steve as a DTS 5.1 track on the DVD 'Blackfield - NYC (Live in NY)'

It's almost as good as the PT DVD-A's in terms of audio quality, quite impressive, as it's from a live performance.

Music is great stuff as well. Lyrics are creative and compositions are some of the best heavy prog-rock.

If you liked Porcupine Tree, you’ll like this. A bit darker and heavier than early PT, but if you liked ‘In Absentia’ you’ll love this.

Attachments

• BlackfieldNYC.jpg
    BlackfieldNYC.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 165
All quiet here at the Scollick cave, I packed up all of my power cords and shipped them to Synergistic Research yesterday. Ted made me an offer I couldn't refuse. In about a week or so I will have an all Tesla system.
I upgraded my interconnect and speaker cables a while back. Now for the power cords.

Attachments

• tesla-home.jpg
    tesla-home.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 152
Smooth guitar jazz morning here. Grant Green's "Idle Moments" and Bobby Brooms "Song and Dance".

Attachments

• Idle_Moments.jpg
    Idle_Moments.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 162
  • BBroom-Song&Dance.jpg
    BBroom-Song&Dance.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 159
I know this recording was mentioned back in September, but I just got it in the last week. Excellent music and recording.

Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals - Lifeline.

Attachments

• Ben Harper.jpg
    Ben Harper.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 156
Love the Ben Harper. Excellent quality recordind without the slick overproduced sound of his earlier works. Not to bad mouth his earlier stuff. It's great too.

Seems he gave up playing drums (thank goodness) like he did on 'Both Sides of the Gun'.

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne !!

just trying to play "catch-up" !!!

Attachments

• krup.jpg
    krup.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 125
Pretty much all over the map this morning - and all on little silver discs because I'm cleaning up the office/listening room in anticipation of Thanksgiving guests. Started off with some Stravinski on the Telarc label, then Janos Starker on a superb Mercury SACD transfer of works by Schumann, Lalo, and Saint Saens. Then a shift into something more contemporary , though still mellow with the great sounding Blue Coast Collection disc (amazing lifelike acoustics), and finally I'm kicking it into gear with the new Foo Fighters. It's the first time I'm spinning this one and I like it so far. Dave Grohl is a rock and roll god!

Attachments

• Stravin-Petro.jpg
    Stravin-Petro.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Starker-Schuman.jpg
    Starker-Schuman.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Blue Coast Collection.jpg
    Blue Coast Collection.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 124
  • FooFighters-Echos.jpg
    FooFighters-Echos.jpg