Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No music for me yesterday. The wife and I did the "Race for the Cure" here in Denver, then I wasted the afternoon watching the Broncos get their a$$'s handed to them by the Chargers.

I should have spent the afternoon listening to music instead!

Most of what I have seen on this thread is true Sunday relaxation music and I have picked up a few good recordings based on it but if you want to step out of the box a bit, you should give a test listen to Epica. Divine Conspiracy is the latest release but they have about four strong CDs in circulation. Not big here but they do have a strong following in Europe. They are Dutch group that has a strong mix of progressive, goth, orchestra, etc. and quite unique. Comparisons to Amy Lee do not do this band or their lead justice. If you can ignore the over use of the demonic voice parts this has a lot going for it and it will excercise all aspects of your logans. Try Never Enough which is probably the most commerical song on the CD but they are all worth a spin.:rocker:

I don't have the reference point but I will check it out. More comparisons to Evenessance and Within Temptation (also very good) but I would put them closer to Nightwish all of which remain pretty obsure outside of Europe and maybe a bit to heavy for most. They have a bit of SymphonyX in them as well as flashes of Dream Theatre and Circus Maximus but a blend that is very unique. I would suggest a quick 30 second preview on iTunes or the like as you are either going to love them or hate them as there in not a lot of middle ground.

Just thought I would add some variety to what I commonly see in this section as this is nothing like the other broader apeal recomondations. Proceed with causion.

Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story

Watched this DVD this morning, some great music and concert footage although the quality is not that great. Interesting documetary on the label and the racial divide of the turbulent 60's.

Attachments

• u46890f53o1.jpg
    u46890f53o1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 95
:music: Ray Charles & The Count Basie Orchestra ~ Ray Sings, Basie Swings:music:

Attachments

• ray.JPG
    ray.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 87
Snowy and Cold in Denver today (about 4 inches in the backyard). Bronco's don't play until 6:15 tonight. A great day to stay inside and listen to some of the stuff I picked up at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last weekend (all on vinyl). First up was "Sera Una Noche" a collection of Tango type music impeccebly recorded on ma records. Next was Shelly Manne and Jack Marshall "Sounds Unheard of". A collection of guitar and percussion I'd been looking for since last years RMAF and finally found in the Acoustic Sounds booth this year. THat was followed up by Diana Krall's latest "From this Moment On" from Classic Records, and finally a reall classic James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" on some heavy Warner Brothers vinyl.

Attachments

• le segunda.jpg
    le segunda.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 64
  • SoundUnheardof.jpg
    SoundUnheardof.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 68
  • Krall_From this.jpg
    Krall_From this.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 67
  • SwwetBaby James.jpg
    SwwetBaby James.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Wow, what a difference a week makes! South Florida collapsed Thur, and the Bucs today!

At least I brightened up my day by listening to some of my RMAF finds...

Jacintha- A Vocal Tribute to Ben Webster (XRCD)... includes her renditions of Danny Boy and Georgia On My Mind, amongst others.

Flamenco Passion- Gino D'Auri guitar (XRCD)... extraordinary recording all the way around.

Tony Overwater- OP (Hybrid SACD)- Great Jazz quintet, recommended by one of the guys at May Audio.... told me "just buy it, you'll LOVE it" and he was right! It's on the Turtle Records label. He also said, ANYTHING on that label will be great. I need to find more!

Here's their website... http://www.turtlerecords.com/

Last edited:
Before the games, with breakfast, we listened to Mozart: Serenade #11 for Winds and Grieg: Four Lyric Pieces. Sheffield Lab 22

charging the battery on my phono stage, so back to enjoying some new cds...

Metheny Mehldau Quartet...wow, what can I say...wonderful
41dd2wQP2jL._AA240_.jpg

Joshua Redman - Back East...I always find it good to hear what this artist is up to
51-3fZZfXnL._AA240_.jpg

And the newest one from my favorite singer, Jane Monheit
51HP-4mUKNL._AA240_.jpg

And the newest one from my favorite singer, Jane Monheit
51HP-4mUKNL._AA240_.jpg
I really like Jane Monheit, but listen to her doing "Alfie" - "what's it all about, Alfie, UH!"......I wish she would not end phrases with that gutteral, "uh!". Still, I do have all of her CDs, and that wonderful DVD. Is there a better, "Over the Rainbow" ?

yes, bernard, i forgive her for a lot of things! you might like her second dvd too. nice cartridge you got there, by the way.

listening to some lps this time...

Tower of Power - Back to Oakland. what a pleasant surprise it always is, when you go back to an old record and discover that it's also a good recording.
41RX3JZG2CL._AA240_.jpg

Bob James - Touchdown
another decent recording, and like a lot of bob james's music, you can enjoy it in both easy listening and critical listening modes.
41ZK82S7PQL._AA240_.jpg

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
ok...this may be an audiophile recording, but the music's also great
51r9UPeP1fL._AA240_.jpg

Last edited:
Joshua Redman - Back East...I always find it good to hear what this artist is up to
51-3fZZfXnL._AA240_.jpg

I especially like 2 of his albums - Freedom in the Groove, and Live at the Village Vanguard, although the latter is not recorded well. I hate when that happens!

Beautifull Day in SE Pa !!

Man the coffe's hot the weather crisp, so were spinnin' some disc's.

Actually "Black Pizza" is on the platter

"The John Dentz Reunion Band" - Chick Corea on the Piano, Ernie Watts on sax, Andy Simpkins on bass and John on the drums.

"Raising Sand" - Allison Krauss and Robert Plant - not an audiophile recording but good nonetheless. 'Through the Morning, Through the Night' is superb.

Attachments

• 51U3t5hrneL._AA240_.jpg
    51U3t5hrneL._AA240_.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 118
  • rt-304.jpg
    rt-304.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 112
Mary Black Full Tide What a wonderful voice.

Attachments

• fulltide.jpg
    fulltide.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 113
Need some consolation after last nights massacre at Coors Field. Enjoying some more of the stuff I picked up at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest a few weeks ago. Antonio Forcione "Touch Wood", "Acoustic Audiophile Voices" and finally the 30th anniversay SACD release of "Jazz at the Pawnshop".

Attachments

• Foricione.jpg
    Foricione.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 110
  • AAV.jpg
    AAV.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 119
  • JazzAtPawnshop.jpg
    JazzAtPawnshop.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 101
Rodrigo y Gabriela

I just discovered this Mexican duo after hearing a single song only once on the radio. I knew a had to track the recording down and find out what they were about. An electro-acoustic mix of Flamenco, jazz and rock with a bit of aggression.

Be prepared for uncontrollable foot taping and air acoustic guitar playing.

Attachments

• rodygab.jpg
    rodygab.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 115
Rodrigo y Gabriela

I just discovered this Mexican duo after hearing a single song only once on the radio. I knew a had to track the recording down and find out what they were about. An electro-acoustic mix of Flamenco, jazz and rock with a bit of aggression.

Be prepared for uncontrollable foot taping and air acoustic guitar playing.

Kruppy, I saw this recently and was very intrigued. Came this close [] to picking it up, but hesitated since I didn't know anything about it. So you give it a thumbs up then? It's on the list...

Kruppy, I saw this recently and was very intrigued. Came this close [] to picking it up, but hesitated since I didn't know anything about it. So you give it a thumbs up then? It's on the list...

Tim and Bob,
You guys gotta spend some more time perusing our Recommended Recordings section.:D Cherian wrote a review on this album a few months back.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=48247&postcount=1

I've picked up a lot of good discs based on forumn members reviews.

Tim and Bob,
You guys gotta spend some more time perusing our Recommended Recordings section.:D Cherian wrote a review on this album a few months back.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=48247&postcount=1

I've picked up a lot of good discs based on forumn members reviews.

Cr@p...
I didn't realize it was there....my bad.

MiTT, it's a great cd. Check out the samples on Amazon. I can not get their music out of my head right now (and my feet won't stop jumping up and down to the beat in my head).

Back