"Subwoofer Cables" worth it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
For the foreseeable future (which may or may not be very long) my Purities and Depth i will both be hooked up via RCA cables. I don't yet have the cables, and need to get them very soon!

I was looking at Monster Cable's website (I know their reputation, but I am not sure where else to get high quality RCA cables), and noticed that they have several designated as "subwoofer cables." These cables are advertised as "large gauge cables with high density shielding engineered specifically for low frequency subwoofers," and carry a significant premium over Monster's equivalent standard stereo RCA cables. Is there actually any reason to believe that a subwoofer would see tangible benefits from cables different than you'd use for front channel speakers?

I'd like to spend as little money as possible on cables to get good results, and as per the suggestion of people on these forums, I'll be using a Y-splitter to send the signal to both my Purities and my Depth i.

Last edited:
I was looking at Monster Cable's website (I know their reputation, but I am not sure where else to get high quality RCA cables), and noticed that they have several designated as "subwoofer cables." These cables are advertised as "large gauge cables with high density shielding engineered specifically for low frequency subwoofers," and carry a significant premium over Monster's equivalent standard stereo RCA cables. Is there actually any reason to believe that a subwoofer would see tangible benefits from cables different than you'd use for front channel speakers?
There is a whole host of companies that make high quality cables.

I suspect snake oil in the "subwoofer cable" claim.

I'd like to spend as little money as possible on cables to get good results, and as per the suggestion of people on these forums, I'll be using a Y-splitter to send the signal to both my Purities and my Depth i.
Your Y-splitter may be a weak link. Who makes it ?

BTW consider buying used cable off Audiogon.

Your Y-splitter may be a weak link. Who makes it ?

I don't actually have the Y-splitter yet, and to be honest I'm a little bit concerned about it, but it's my understanding that this is really my only option if I wish to avoid using a receiver and/or amplifier.

You dont have to "Y" the signal. Your sub has line lvl out, you can take the full range out into the sub, use the sub crossover and out to your speakers. Now the argument is, who has a better crossover network the sub or your preamp. If your set on the Y, there are several companies who will "custom make" Y cables. Audioquest custom made a 1m Y for me, im using duel centers and using two channels of amplification, so I needed a custom Y. They didnt charge me any extra, they just charged me for a pair of cables. But i would probably go in and out of the sub. Up to you!

Have fun though, nice little setup there!

I've been unable to confirm whether or not the subwoofer's L/R out would be a good idea. It seemed to me like it would work, but I haven't seen anyone else on these forums suggest that kind of setup, and the subwoofer's manual says those "should only be used if connecting this sub between a pre-amp and amplifier."

Monster solid metal "Y" is a great choice for a "Y" No cable to worry about - picture below...

For Cables IMO:

Good performance for little money - Signal Cable, Blue Jeans Cable
Better performance for more money - DH Labs, Zu Audio (offer entry level up to mucho dinero level)

Great suggestion on visiting Audiogon for some used stuff.

Attachments

• a-ya-m2fm.jpg
    a-ya-m2fm.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,484
Last edited:
Y splinters depend on the sub and if the pre amp has a crossover built in. The Way I run mine I use 2 RAC Strait Wire 25 foot runs. I would try every possible way with a sub. It DOES make a difference in how its hooked up and the settings make a world of difference. I Could run one RCA to the left that is supposed to be summed at the sub,however; it sounded much better with right and left from the pre amp strait to the sub and letting the sub amp do its thing. Why I'm not sure but it does. !I realize IC and cabling makes a difference but my sub is crossed over at 45 hz. There is a thread where Tonepub used silver Sub cabling and had positive results. I could se why as its clearer and more bright with silver. A Silver cable could tighten up some muddy bass in theory.

Last edited:
The Depth is a good subwoofer (I have one), but I don't really recommend using the "line out" function on it unless you need to use the high-pass filter for some reason -- can't imagine why, but people are known to do strange things.

Better to go with the y-splitters (as it appears you plan to do) and not give the subs' circuitry the chance to phork up the signal between the pre and the power amp(s). And yes, I have tried this, although I didn't notice that the sub was doing anything evil...

Still, there's no substitution for keeping your wiring and switches the sound runs through to a bare minimum.

~VDR

Last edited:
Back