Screaming Agon deal on Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kruppy, first of all I would like to kindly thank you for this listing.

Update- Have had email dialog with seller. Of course then had to call dealer. As I was as respectful as I could possibly be, my dealer was understanding but slightly/rather unwilling to let go of the sale, which is obviously and totally understandable. As the great dealer he is, he made me a counteroffer on his own demo Summits, while significantly priced above the Audiogon listing, his are 1. mint condition 2. with factory warranty intact. Still an excellent price, wont share here and now though. Of course, no shipping fees or great fears either when opening the boxes. I have till tomorrow to decide.

I believe I may be on the fastest track to joeyitis there is. Do I have a malignant case after only putting a deposit 3 days ago? Talk about cutting to the chase. I shudder to fear what the future holds. Maybe it's all Kruppy's fault. :p

HEY WAIT A MINUTE! Don't blame this all on me.....:D

Ok, I admit it, I have a sickness. I check Audiogon, ebay and other sites selling used equipment constantly, 3 or 4 times a day (sigh...or more). I don't know if it's OCD or what, but I can't help myself. I want to upgrade so bad that I'm almost willing to sell one or two of my kids or possibly put them to work at the closest Nike factory for some extra audio cash.

Call it upgraditus better known as Joeyitus. I blame (aggressively pointing finger towards Chicago)........JOEY!

Yeah that's right...Joey (insert evil eye) with all of his upgrades from Mosaics to his oh so special "BEM" Vantanges to Summits with their secret hand shake and then having to deal with the Plinius club and the beloved toobed Cary and then his PS Audio DAC. (Still pointing finger) You did it to me Joey! I look constantly for the best deals hoping one day, (shaking fist in air) one day that I'll be able to afford something, anything.....Ok, I'm spent....:meditate:

jk319,
I hope it all works out for you. I see so many ads and auctions that pop up and I normally don't post anything, but this one looked like an incredible deal. Just don't blame me.....;)

Dear Gordon Gray,

Thank you. I just sent my dealer an email 15 minutes ago. Doing the Summits! LOL. :eek: :D :eek: This was the VERY LAST thing I was expecting to happen when I logged on to this forum earlier today. omg. I was thinking about posting something like "Just put a deposit on Vantages for the second time". Instead- um, Im at a loss for words...

Geez, this forum is dangerous. Maybe I should take it off my bookmarks. :

Congratulations!

(Grinding my teeth) I'm sure Joey will be back shortly with the his special secret Summit handshake. :rolleyes:

Kruppy

I check all those sites too, and a few others multi-times a day, so you're not alone in your OCD, but with me 90% of the time, it's not for the purpose of upgrading (check my sys. you'll see Y) but in order to produce chuckles I can't get anywhere else on this planet!!

Kruppy,

That was HILARIOUS! I am LMAO!!! VERY WELL WRITTEN! I could see it in my minds eye! If you have never written professionally before you might think about it! That was funny as hell!

JK!

Good news for all!! The most beloved deal for Summits of all time remains within this forum and in your very living room! Hurrah!

And... this forum is contagious and this forum is indeed dangerous! Congrats on probably one of the key purchases in your audio adventure, truly a speaker you can mount the rest of your upstream upgrades onto and it won't flinch or bat an eyelid.

Congrats again!! And.... *secret Summit handshake*.... shhh.... don't show it to anyone else. It's only for us Summit owners. :) ;)

Kruppy,

You are one heckuva crazy dude!!! :cheers:

I, too, always scope out the corridors of audiogon. I'm on the look-out right now for an elusive item.... the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors! :eek:

Ok, I admit it, I have a sickness. I check Audiogon, ebay and other sites selling used equipment constantly, 3 or 4 times a day (sigh...or more). I don't know if it's OCD or what, but I can't help myself. I want to upgrade so bad that I'm almost willing to sell one or two of my kids or possibly put them to work at the closest Nike factory for some extra audio cash.

That's good, Kruppy. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :D

Congratulations!

Hi jk,

You are right about this forum. Same thing happened to me when I was thinking about replacing my amp. Then Jason enters the storm. Then, the rest is history. Look at it this way. You could have spent that money on something far less meaningful.

I am confident that you will not regret your decision. Get ready for a long and happy journey.

G :cheers:

I agree w/ Tom and C.A.P. (although I have CLS/Depth, not ReQuests) There was a time I would've jumped on this one, but that was before the impending CLX's started rattling my cage too. So for now, it's gonna be 'wait and see.'

Super Summits!!!! All the way!!! That's what I am waiting for...:rocker:

Dear Gordon Gray,

Thank you. I just sent my dealer an email 15 minutes ago. Doing the Summits! LOL. This was the VERY LAST thing I was expecting to happen when I logged on to this forum earlier today. omg. I was thinking about posting something like "Just put a deposit on Vantages for the second time". Instead- um, Im at a loss for words...

Geez, this forum is dangerous. Maybe I should take it off my bookmarks.
I'd like to add my congratulation, too. Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed.

Believe it or not, almost the same kind of thing happened to me as to you. I was researching this forum (before I 'formally' joined) to see what kind of amp and/or pre-processor to upgrade my 4-year old Ascent/Theater/Descent HT/Music system with. In the back of my mind, I wanted something that could drive an ML upgrade if I wanted to do something 'down the road'. Right. Then, BAM, I discovered a mis-labeled pair of Summits on Audiogon that nobody seemed to be seeing. They belonged to their original audiophile owner who cherished them and only wanted to sell to someone that would feel the same about them. I hadn't realized that I already been infected with a virulent form of Joeyitis, and the rest is history. :D ;)

Hehehe Kcl. Interesting to read about similar experiences. You guys must be knowingly nodding right now, hehe. When I first signed on here I immediately had the picture of your HT seared into my brain forever. I was drooling. Well, thanks to you, Kruppy, Joey, and whoever else Im forgetting, for the support, congratulations, and humor. I think you will end up having told the truth about not being disappointed. Even if I didn't put the Summits thru the same grueling audition process as I did with the Vantages (many, many, many hours over multiple visits to multiple stores) simply due to price point, I still remarked on the superior "integration" and/or improved response for the noticeable upper mid bass dip of the Vantages (not that it was really slowling me down from pulling the trigger). Also, of course, the increased extension to an authentic full range speaker. Even better dispersion due to larger panels perhaps?

I had recently ordered a top flight sub a few days ago, to help extend the Vantages' reach with detail. Now that Summits go to 24hz, I might now cancel and get a $500 sub for HT only. Have to decide soon. Anyways, I plan on picking up the Summits by wednsday afternoon, or even earlier if I find the time. Cheers...

Hey jk, This was from your first post .

"As Im looking for my first hi-quality speakers ever, Im incessantly over-cramming my head with speaker information. I noticed on the avguide's how-to section, that matching speakers would ideally have the same x-over, if not sloping as well. I see that the Stage has the same low x-over as the Vista at 450hz. Is this nit-picking? Vantage w/ stage is going to be better, regardless of matching x-over, just due to better quality, correct?"

So your looking for your first high quality speakers and two months later you own Summits. Holy crap guy that's one heck of a first step.

My suggestion is to hold off on any other purchase and play with the Summits for a while and see what they can do with your current equipment.

I believe the direction of your systems future may not be going in the same direction it was yesterday.

I'm sure others may have some suggestions on this matter.

Congratulations, you will be very happy you made this move.

Hehehe Kcl ... When I first signed on here I immediately had the picture of your HT seared into my brain forever. I was drooling.
Well, thank you! I'm very flattered that you think so highly of it. Its evolved over a number of years, but we're very happy with it.
I had recently ordered a top flight sub a few days ago, to help extend the Vantages' reach with detail. Now that Summits go to 24hz, I might now cancel and get a $500 sub for HT only. Have to decide soon. Anyways, I plan on picking up the Summits by wednsday afternoon, or even earlier if I find the time. Cheers...
I think that's an excellent idea as the subs on the summits are quite good. I only run the Summits when listening to music, with the center, rear effects, rears, and subs disabled. I've tried both with and without the Descent sub, and I don't really hear any difference. You're right, though, in that the subs can add significantly to HT. I also think you've got the right idea of getting a good 'support' sub for HT rather than a really high-end, super fast, music-oriented sub.

Brad, thanks for the sound advice. Yes, I'm trying to skip all of the intermediary phases i guess. Avoid all the painful stages of joeyitis. Hopefully, even with initial enormous expense, I may save money over the long run. I am going with the fresco-i for a center, and my dealer and I will work something out so that I can upgrade, if needed or wanted, to a future ML electrostat center. We will see, but I think I will be just fine. (Famous last words?). Anyways, the fresco-i fits perfectly either right in front of the tv, or below in the black tv stand.

I am buying budget ($350) surrounds. I do not have any multi-channel music or a player that can handle such media, again we will see. Figure the budget surrounds will fit the bill for HT.

"My suggestion is to hold off on any other purchase and play with the Summits for a while and see what they can do with your current equipment". Do you mean my $400 Htib? :eek:

edit- whoa kcl, same timing here. Ok, I appreciate the input on your experiences and thoughts about the sub. It's what I was thinking. I may just cancel, though I feel just a little bad, having called a few times over the last couple of months, but it is a considerable sum.

Last edited:
You will not need a sub for music with the Summits, unless you're in an overly large room (i.e. 17x20). If so, every bit helps.

If not, a sub from SVS will be great to add boom for HT.

Good luck!

And... enjoy the kill! I mean... er.. deal.

Joey :)

Hehehe Kcl. Interesting to read about similar experiences. You guys must be knowingly nodding right now, hehe. When I first signed on here I immediately had the picture of your HT seared into my brain forever. I was drooling. Well, thanks to you, Kruppy, Joey, and whoever else Im forgetting, for the support, congratulations, and humor. I think you will end up having told the truth about not being disappointed. Even if I didn't put the Summits thru the same grueling audition process as I did with the Vantages (many, many, many hours over multiple visits to multiple stores) simply due to price point, I still remarked on the superior "integration" and/or improved response for the noticeable upper mid bass dip of the Vantages (not that it was really slowling me down from pulling the trigger). Also, of course, the increased extension to an authentic full range speaker. Even better dispersion due to larger panels perhaps?

No thanks necessary, however you better post your system once it's all set up. ;)

I thought you were all about the Megaline?

LIAR!!! :D :D :D

I am going to buy the Megalines. If they come out I will also buy the Super Summits. We will see what is better. I don't lie I just always try new things. :D

I am going to buy the Megalines. If they come out I will also buy the Super Summits. We will see what is better. I don't lie I just always try new things. :D

Be sure to post pics of the Megas.... how much longer before delivery?

Congrats on your upcoming speakers though... they sure seem real nice!

Joey

Back