Question about Martin Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolz

Reaction score
Went to listen to some Martin Logans at BB-I know not the best place but it was the closest. They only had the Sources. They sounded great when seated. When you stand up they sound very different. Sit down and they sound great again. Do you have to stay in that "sweet spot" to get the great sound? I tend to walk around alot doing things when listening to music. Is this an issue with all ML's or just the smaller ones. Specifically thinking of the Spires. Thanks

mostly with the smaller Logans. I own the Spires and enjoy them from
upstairs and anywhere downstairs. They certainly sound their best in the
sweet spot but i enjoy them anywhere. I did listen to the Source or Purity
at Best Buy and their was a marked difference if i moved from the sweet
spot...not so with the Vantages or Spires.

their was a marked difference if i moved from the sweet
spot...not so with the Vantages or Spires.

Myself....I disagree...at least with my set-up, for when one puts their "butt in the chair" it 'noticeably' snaps into focus.

Again that's why there is a "sweet spot" !

Dipole line sources beam vertically and very rarely have any output beyond their vertical boundary.

Went to listen to some Martin Logans at BB-I know not the best place but it was the closest. They only had the Sources. They sounded great when seated. When you stand up they sound very different. Sit down and they sound great again. Do you have to stay in that "sweet spot" to get the great sound? I tend to walk around alot doing things when listening to music. Is this an issue with all ML's or just the smaller ones. Specifically thinking of the Spires. Thanks

It's an issue with all MLs. The curved stator helps with horizontal dispersion but relatively poor vertical dispersion is a given, I'm afarid. But if you're walking around the room, you're presumably not listening critically, so it shouldn't be an issue. The sound is indeed at it's best in the sweet spot.

It's an issue with all MLs. The curved stator helps with horizontal dispersion but relatively poor vertical dispersion is a given, I'm afarid. But if you're walking around the room, you're presumably not listening critically, so it shouldn't be an issue. The sound is indeed at it's best in the sweet spot.

this is so true. besides they still sound better that most speakers even outside of the sweet spot

If you are after a speaker with really wide dispersion and off axis response, a pair of MartinLogans (or any other panel for that matter) might not be your cup of tea....

I'd definitely try to get an in home demo to make sure that they work as you need them to. If not, you may end up becoming a cone speaker guy!

for some reason when it comes to cones I have always liked the studio moniter bookshelf type on stands I do not know why this is but it seems to raise the sound stage up off the floor and just make things sound a bit better.
although their are some great floor standing cone speakers I love

If you are after a speaker with really wide dispersion and off axis response, a pair of MartinLogans (or any other panel for that matter) might not be your cup of tea....

I'd definitely try to get an in home demo to make sure that they work as you need them to. If not, you may end up becoming a cone speaker guy!

Not sure what you have in mind by "really wide dispersion and off axis response", as some panels do very well, in fact much better than cone speakers in terms of full frequency response, especially when the panel is driven full range. High frequency beaming can be a problem with some panel speakers, though, which I suppose was your point.

Vertical dispersion is negligible for most planars by definition, which often is a benefit. Where your ear is near or above the top of the speaker panel, there is a problem. One possible solution is to raise the speakers, although room interaction will change.

You can download a manual, for instance from Source or Purity, its explained in there. You will see its natural, and logic behaviour. If you have a large livingroom and are far from the speakers obviously you wont notice this.
But believe me, are you playing on electrostatic speakers in your livingroom, and you are in the kitchen, then you will still recognize the sound as electrostatic.
The panels are normally slanted back to help this "dis-advantage", but if you are truly after the best sound possible you adjust the speakers so the panels are 100% vertical when you listen. This, obviously, makes what you say even worse....
So, in your case I guess you will want panels 6 feet tall, then you dont have a problem.

...So, in your case I guess you will want panels 6 feet tall, then you dont have a problem.

Hmmm, I've seen/heard a "double stacked" pair of Quads, maybe a "double stacked" set of CLS' is something to consider!

Hmmm, I've seen/heard a "double stacked" pair of Quads, maybe a "double stacked" set of CLS' is something to consider!
I had the HQD long time ago Sleepysurf, just before I got into ML sound...around '85...now back to this...the Source and Purity have the ability to change their bottom position for this purpose. If you are always walking around, then you use the position for "standing"...you can download the manual and it is explain there how to do this...a very easy step to do also. Remember that TAS just honored Source as the best low budget speaker on the marketplace at their recommended components section...happy listening,
Roberto.

Its funny, I had a visitor the other day. He was standing in my small livingroom, I was buying a camera lens from him. Then he said "nice speakers you have, electrostatic?" Yeah, I put on some music, Nils Lofgren "Live" "Keith Dont Go", and he listened a bit.....hmmm, nice.
Then he fell down in a chair, and his jaw just dropped....and me, I cant hear a thing because of a cold.....

Its funny, I had a visitor the other day. He was standing in my small livingroom, I was buying a camera lens from him. Then he said "nice speakers you have, electrostatic?" Yeah, I put on some music, Nils Lofgren "Live" "Keith Dont Go", and he listened a bit.....hmmm, nice.
Then he fell down in a chair, and his jaw just dropped....and me, I cant hear a thing because of a cold.....
Yes! I love that expression too, and make us to be o.k. with our goods too. I think they do not get the same when they listen a different stuff...wonder why?...hope you get better of your cold...happy listening,
Roberto.

That is one fun song to listen to on ML's! My friend just went to see the Boss and Nils was playing with the band and he said Nils is still fantastic!

Best,
Bob

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Then again, my Sequels are 72" tall and I'm also 72" tall. :p

In the beginning I didnt like Lofgrens voice, but the sound he has on his albums is just unbelievable, they say Carlos Santana, Al Di Meola and Eric Clapton can make a guitar speak, but when I hear Lofgrens guitar it just make the hair on my arm stand up.....

Latest posts

Back