Transitioning Audyssey plus ARC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejspain

Reaction score
Just added the Martin Logan Impression 11A's to my acoustically treated, dedicated HT. For some context - I'm running the Marantz SR6015 Receiver (Bi-Amp'd) with a Marantz MM7055 amp. The 6015 drives my surrounds and Atmos while the 7055 is dedicated to LCR. Dual Martin Logan 1100X subs w/wireless modules (cross-corner | front & back loaded). Before adding the 11A's, everything (Movies, 2-channel, and multi-channel music) sounded "oh so sweet" (beautiful soundstage, great imaging, tight, full room pressured bass at every seat (4)). Not upset at all because I know what the 11A's are capable of (tweak time ;)) but wanted to get some recommendations from the community whether or not to re-run Audyssey and ARC on everything or just the ARC on the 11A's? So the million dollar question is....do I need to re-Audyssey from the Marantz and re-ARC the subs with the 11A's OR just ARC on the 11A's?

Last edited:
Regarding running ARC on the subs and 11A, yes. Run ARC first on each sub and speaker. Later, you can choose whether to have ARC enabled or disabled as you see fit, but at least you'll have a choice.

I use ARC as the first step, then processor correction in addition. ARC on the 11A is only for up to 300Hz, not full range.

My processor runs Dirac so I'm no help with Audyssey. But, I can point out that Dirac has trouble with dipole speakers if the rear wave reflection is not tamed enough by treatment and/or placement. It can cause timing and other issues.

Correction is always a trial and error situation. I don't know if Audyssey works the same as Dirac with how many mic positions you can decide to use, but, when I'm trying to figure things out I just do a 1 mic position run. This way, I can leave the mic alone between running Dirac and REW to find out what happens after a change has been made, then change something else and run Dirac again. It really doesn't take very long.

Regarding running ARC on the subs and 11A, yes. Run ARC first on each sub and speaker. Later, you can choose whether to have ARC enabled or disabled as you see fit, but at least you'll have a choice.

I use ARC as the first step, then processor correction in addition. ARC on the 11A is only for up to 300Hz, not full range.

My processor runs Dirac so I'm no help with Audyssey. But, I can point out that Dirac has trouble with dipole speakers if the rear wave reflection is not tamed enough by treatment and/or placement. It can cause timing and other issues.

Correction is always a trial and error situation. I don't know if Audyssey works the same as Dirac with how many mic positions you can decide to use, but, when I'm trying to figure things out I just do a 1 mic position run. This way, I can leave the mic alone between running Dirac and REW to find out what happens after a change has been made, then change something else and run Dirac again. It really doesn't take very long.
Yea I was hoping to get away with just ARC'ing the added 11A's and leave the subs alone. They're due to arrive in a week or so...I'll add them to the mix...let them burn (100 or so hours)...see how they sound as is, then start some critical listening before making adjustments.

Back