PS3 for 2CH HT?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawdaddy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of re-tooling my HT. Original intent was to get to an HDMI set up to take advantage of new codecs, etc.

The first item I sold was my pre-pro, so I've been living with only stereo through my stereo preamp. I've got to say that I've been pleasantly surprised and am now considering just using a 2ch set up, skipping a new HT receiver all together! (spend $$$ on a better stereo DAC maybe).

Current thinking is to simply buy a PS3 and use it's stereo outs to my pre. I realize that I won't get the full surround benefits of TrueHD or DTS MA HD, but do you think I'd miss it? My Ascent i's image very well.

Anyone else use a PS3 for 2ch HT duties? Anyone know if the PS3 has a "phantom center" setting with the stereo output?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks! Bob

I just would not expect to listen to to much music threw it.

Just to clarify, I would only use the PS3 for movies and maybe an occasional game.

Audio duties would be from a different source into my pre.

Just curious to hear opinions from those (if any) who run a 2 ch HT centered around the PS3.

Movies: PS3 stereo out > Pre > Amps > Speakers
Music: CDP or DAC > Pre > Amps > Speakers

You can certainly do that, but if your receiver has HDMI, you'd get better results using the HDMI for audio out.

Sorry, my point is to eliminate the receiver all together. Use PS3 with a 2ch pre-amp. No receiver, no surround sound.

Wanting to know if anyone is running a 2ch Logan HT with PS3 as the source and impressions / observations.

Thanks.

I guess my point of confusion is that the PS3 (or at least the model of PS3 that I have) doesn't have stereo outputs, only HDMI and Optical audio out... So I guess I just don't know how you'd hook that up.

The system I am currently using has a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, with HDMI to my receiver, hooked up to my Logans in a 2 channel home theater setup. I wish I had a Stage to separate the voice from the sound effects, but I haven't considered it a big enough deal to spend the money on a center channel speaker. In general, I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

Ahh. I see. I know that the PS3's do not have multi-channel analog outs, but I thought they did have a stereo analog out.

According to the PS3 website there is something called an AV multi-out for analog. It looks like you need some kind of adaptor that then gives the traditional stereo and yellow composit video. Is this correct? If so, I think I could connect this to a pre and leave the analog video unconnected. So the next question is: will the PS3 output 1080 video via HDMI and the analog video out at the same time?!? :confused:

I think you can do HDMI and analog audio. Its just with the standard AV cable that comes standard with the PS3 I believe.

Ahh. I see. I know that the PS3's do not have multi-channel analog outs, but I thought they did have a stereo analog out.

According to the PS3 website there is something called an AV multi-out for analog. It looks like you need some kind of adaptor that then gives the traditional stereo and yellow composit video. Is this correct? If so, I think I could connect this to a pre and leave the analog video unconnected. So the next question is: will the PS3 output 1080 video via HDMI and the analog video out at the same time?!? :confused:

exactly.
connect the hdmi to your tv and the analog outputs from that special cable to your amp/peramp. then go to audio settings and declare the analog cable as audio out. done. sound from the amp, hdmi video in tv.
by the way, the analog outs of a ps3 are not bad in stereo sound. they are not high end, but definitively better than cheap cd players.
the home theater in 2channel mode is great if you don't need surround. I enjoy it with my puritys.

the home theater in 2channel mode is great if you don't need surround. I enjoy it with my puritys.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. :)

So, in your opinion your logans image well enough to avoid needing a center channel? Can you set your PS3 to have a "phantom center"?

You should buy an old Hughes SRS (Sound Retreival System) processor. THE original SRS. Adjustable center and space processing. I have used mine before...its sitting in a drawer now, but I might have to dust it off and play with it again. Neat box. Creates a matrix 3D soundfield from any 2 ch. source.

I've continued to listed in 2ch. I've very pleased with the imaging...as long as I'm in the sweet spot. As soon as I stand up or move around the imaging falls apart. Any one else observe this?

So I guess this means that if I'm the only one using the room, then I can stick with 2ch, but as soon as I have people over or am forced into a romantic comedy with my wife...I'll be hearing complaints.

Thoughts?

same problems with wife here...
I have ML purities. sweet spot for 3 people max.
actually for only one for best soundstage.
Nikos

Back