2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guy thinks its the Dolby Atmos setting:

Zaphod1620

•2 yr. ago
"I just figured it out. Its Dolby Atmos. I guess it doesn't work that well on ATV as this was never an issue with my Shield. I don't have the Denin receiver like you,bit I use an Atmos capable Samsung receiver. I went into settings and forced ATV to use Dolby Digital rather than Atmos, and it fixed the volume issue. Its now exactly in line with the other devices connected to my TV."

These posts are all 2 years old or more, so its off a bit. All I know is that recently the sound level has gone down even more. Its kinda bad. I had to have my receiver turned up to 72 tonight, and the input was already set to +5. So I guess that would make it 77. I usually listen to movies at between 67 and 70.

Other sources like blu-ray are really loud, and the television is normal too. Streaming on my music player is also normal volume. Its only the Apple tv that is so low now.

I've not seen this on my unit. I do have every single audio-related setting set to off or passthrough as far as possible. It switches seamlessly between Atmos and 2ch or DD+, so all the advanced codecs work as expected.

Some channels run pretty high compression, e.g. F1.TV, so I have to turn down the volume. Others, e.g. AppleTV+ run wide dynamic range and need a couple of dB boost.
So not seeing a problem on the current firmware.

I've not seen this on my unit. I do have every single audio-related setting set to off or passthrough as far as possible. It switches seamlessly between Atmos and 2ch or DD+, so all the advanced codecs work as expected.

Some channels run pretty high compression, e.g. F1.TV, so I have to turn down the volume. Others, e.g. AppleTV+ run wide dynamic range and need a couple of dB boost.
I watched Paramount last night and it seemed fairly normal. I think I'm mainly just hearing it on Showtime Anytime. Do you have that service? Max seems low too, but not as bad.

What center ls do you use? If an ESL centre have you checked that the transducer is working? That was what happened to me.
It seems to be working. It's the Focus. The blue light is on and sounds seems to be coming from it. The sound is normal volume on cable TV and blu-ray. It's only the Apple tv where I have to boost it +4. It was that way from day one when I got it on the 1st day of release. I'm on my 2nd box too because they swapped it out for me once during the Atmos debacle.

Right now Showtime is really low volume, in the past ,HBO was like that. Max seems better now. It must be how the Showtime App handles audio. One user I quoted above found that if he turned Atmos off on the Apple and put it to dolby digital that the volume became higher again. I don't think Yellow Jackets is Atmos, but I will check it. Would turning Atmos off in the Apple settings affect the sound in apps even if the show is not in Atmos?
I need to test that.

I do notice huge volume differences between dolby 5.1 shows and shows that just come through as stereo. I hate those apps. I listen to them in all 11 speakers because the Marantz Receiver expands it .FX and AMC seem to come through only as stereo. These channels are LOUD. I have to turn them down about 10 on the volume.

Many times shows will have a recap in the beginning and I notice it's loud. When I check I find it's only in stereo. Then the show comes on in dolby 5.1 and its normal volume. So that has something to do maybe with the compression? Been curious about that. Even though the recap is only stereo, I listen to it in a simulated atmos. Volume is loud.

Showtime must handle signals differently in their app. I just don't like stressing my system to watch shows, but I guess having the volume at 72 and +4 isn't going to strain the speakers or amp. No distortion of course.

Would turning Atmos off in the Apple settings affect the sound in apps even if the show is not in Atmos?
It should not have any effect, but that does not mean it might. It would be a pretty weird design decision.

FX and AMC seem to come through only as stereo. These channels are LOUD

They are highly compressed (in the dynamic range sense) and set to a rather 'hot' level. I think those channels know the majority of their customers use the TV speakers or at best a cheap soundbar, for audio.

But yes, the service is pretty much who decides how much or little to compress, and what the levels should be.

I tested watching Yellow Jackets with atmos on and off and it sounds the same. Levels showed the same on my phone app. The show just displays as PCM and not Atmos.

The Apple tv has always had lower sound output on most things, but maybe it's because its not compressed like cable TV is? My loudest source though is my Lumin player and its not compressed as far as I know. Using Tidal. My 4k Panasonic bluray is louder too. Both of those are set to 0 on input, while Apple tv is +4 to be equal. I guess it's not a big difference.

Latest posts

Back