Power conditioners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
What kind of Power Conditioners are you guys using?

Do you find that they limit dynamics?

Anyone using Running Springs? Some users have stated they are super transparent and get out of the way,yet Cable Co.com states they could be soft on top with the Mongoose power cord.

Final question,Some say over on Audiogon,that if you have a dedicated circuit (20 amp) for your music then you do not need a power conditioner,is that true?

I plan on running a 20 amp dedicated circuit for my amp and CD player. Its best to keep the phase the same if you run more than one line. As for protection against surge , that is another story !
I am open for ideas on that without degrading the signal !

Hi Longhorn,

Yes, PLC's can limit current.

If you have power supply issues from your local utility, a dedicated 20 amp circuit, by itself, will not protect your equipment.

This piece of hardware, IMHO, is second to wire regarding widely varying accounts / results. I can say I'm very happy with my Furman but it was the third unit that I had tried.

Best strategy is an in home test drive with any unit. As stated above, a very subjective, system dependant item.

I believe the Cable Company may offer some choices for you to audition. I know Audio Advisors and Music Direct have a good selection of products, all with a 30 day money back guarantee. The only issue going with AA or MD is break in time.

You can also access the search feature on this website for previous posts on this topic. See the above post for starters.

Good luck and keep us all informed on your journey.

GG

Last edited:
I'm a huge proponent of balanced power solutions for reference grade systems.

I also find that a big benefit of a large (>3KVA) balanced power solution is that the stored energy in the transformer makes a very nice current reserve for the amps when stressed, as well as helping ride out power fluctuations.
Living in the southeast, we get plenty of thunderstorm-induced lightning. These occasionally cause the main power feeds to undervolt, even to the point of where some power supplies will shut-down, lights dim, etc.

During those events, my stereo (and PJ) ride through as if nothing had happened when hanging off my 5KVA balanced power subsystem.

Each branch in my setup has its own EMI/RFI filter downstream from the transformer to ensure branch isolation and power filtering.

Balanced power also reduces the effects of cross-gear power contamination when one has a large rack full of gear (like mine), as the reason for balanced is to reduce inducted noise as that gets canceled out by the balanced nature of the AC feed.
Same reason as why balanced interconnects are a plus in large installations.

I've not had a single power related challenge (noise, hum's, etc.) since I put this in 8 years ago.

The Cable Company said the RSA power conditioners were soft on top
because Running Springs would not sell them their product without the
power cord and they wanted to substitute a cheaper cord in it's place.

I've got four of them and after trying everything else, I've yet to find
one that does a better job of being transparent and UN limiting in dynamics,
especially with a big power amplifier.

I use their new Dmitri in my main system on a 20A Dedicated line with their
new HZ power cord and a Jaco with the standard Mongoose on another 20A
line for my Premier 350, Descent and Spires. My equipment in both areas
uses a mixture of Essential Sound Products The Essence "Reference", Running Springs Mongoose and Shunyata Anaconda Helix Alpha power cords.

Second system has a Running Springs Danielle with Mongoose power cord on 20A circuit. Same mixture of power cords. I do a lot of moving gear on that system and 12 outlets really comes in handy.

Living Room system uses a RSA Haley to power a Luxman 590-A II integrated and McIntosh MS300 Music server. All Mongoose cords here.

I've had the chance to review almost all the rest and that's what I spent my money on.

As with any component, it's always important to make sure that you like it and it's a fit, but I've yet to use a big power amplifier with the Jaco and have it sound better plugged into the wall.

I can't endorse the RSA stuff highly enough. To the best of my knowledge, their dealers will work with you to get an in home trial...

I have found the monster power stuff to be very good. I had / still sort of have a ps audio p300. I hate the thing no matter what I plug into it, being my logans, or another piece of gear, it always seemed to limit dynamics. The only sort of tolerable use was with my preamp, and ultimately its not worth having a $400 power conditioner for that

I was using an old Monster HTS 3500 MKII with my Belles amp, and thought it was "OK". However, after listening for a while without the 3500 in the loop, I realized how much it was choking the high-current Belles amp. However, living in the "lightning capital of the world" I definitely needed something for protection (the conditioning aspect was optional). I eventually settled upon an inexpensive Belkin PureAV PF-60. I can't say the conditioning function has improved the sound, but it certainly has NO deleterious effect, and the surge protection has been awesome! The Belkin also has Cat5 surge protection, which I needed for my (wired) Squeezebox. I've relegated the Monster 3500 to my video setup, where it seems to work fine.

I have found the monster power stuff to be very good. I had / still sort of have a ps audio p300. I hate the thing no matter what I plug into it, being my logans, or another piece of gear, it always seemed to limit dynamics. The only sort of tolerable use was with my preamp, and ultimately its not worth having a $400 power conditioner for that

Hmmm, my experience has been 180 degrees opposite of yours. I tried the Monster stuff but hated what it did to the sound. Lifeless and limp are what springs to mind.

I got a PS Audio P600 and have everything running through it EXCEPT my amp, where I did notice that it restricted dynamics. Everything else sounds better though - all my sources and pre-amps. Do you have all the latest updates installed; PowerWave and such?

Weird?:confused:

Like Tim I run all of my sources thru a P600 (Multiwave equipped but running 60Hz sinewave to keep TT happy). Found one on the 'Gon for $700 shipped to my door.

Tj

For my ML system I am running dual Belkin PF40's, one for audio and one for video. In the master bedroom I am running everything thru a Monster Reference HTS 3500 (but no ML's in that setup).
So far no real complaints about either.

Lee

Longhorn, they do sound different. I like Shunyata, but this is a preference sort of thing. One of the dealers who visited to tweak my system (and try to sell me stuff) brought along a Walker Velocitor and we were able to compare. The Shunyata just edged it out in terms of quietude. I have used Richard Gray, several Monsters, an API, a Chang, a PS audio etc. Try as many as you can and choose what sounds best to you! I think a 20amp circuit makes as big a difference as changing PLCs and should be done 1st.

Back