Hi and thanks MLO

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Stevo,
I had an Aragon 2004 amp with my SL3's until 2005 when I purchased my first ARC amps. They were Classic 120's and there was no looking back to the Aragon. I originally used the Aragon with a pair of Spica TC50's and they sounded amazing. I think they just didn't have the power to drive the stats.
After reading much I decided to go with the 120's. After another year I chose to upgrade to a pair of ARC VTM 200's this was a big step up. During this same time period I started with a LS 25 line stage and upgraded to LS 25 MK II. With the purchase of the LS25 I was hooked on the sound of ARC tubes with stats.
From the MKII I moved to the REF 3 line stage a couple of years later. I enjoyed that combination for a few years until I decided to purchase the 610t's and they were amazing. A couple of years went by and I purchased an almost new 40th Anniversary. The pairing was stunning from day one.

During that time I tried 4 different versions of CLS panels. That led to the purchase of the CLX I currently own.

A couple of years ago I was looking for someone to do work on my 610t's and was have very little luck. That was the time I considered changing to another model of ARC monos.
An electrical engineer that had said he was not interested in taking on the upgrades and couple small parts change changed his mind and the major parts change and upgrade to KT120 tubes began.
I am so happy I didn't get rid of the amps and they were virtually completely rebuilt. He replaced all of the capacitors and resistors, relays and transistors. It was more than 200 parts per amp before he did the upgrade to KT120's. They have about 200 hours on them and sound amazing. The KT120 run much cooler than the 6550's.

To your question about your purchase. I would not purchase a pair using 6550 tubes unless you are going to upgrade them to use KT120's. With the proper pair I would not hesitate to purchase either using KT120 or KT 150 tubes.

I have not use my MPS5 direct as I don't think it is made to do that. On the remote there is no option for volume control.

I have not even looked at any solid state amps as I love the sound of the ARC tubes. They are not for everyone but I couldn't be happier.
I'm curious to see what you think it you go forward with the big ARC amps.
Good luck.

Brad

Hi Stevo,
I had an Aragon 2004 amp with my SL3's until 2005 when I purchased my first ARC amps. They were Classic 120's and there was no looking back to the Aragon. I originally used the Aragon with a pair of Spica TC50's and they sounded amazing. I think they just didn't have the power to drive the stats.
After reading much I decided to go with the 120's. After another year I chose to upgrade to a pair of ARC VTM 200's this was a big step up. During this same time period I started with a LS 25 line stage and upgraded to LS 25 MK II. With the purchase of the LS25 I was hooked on the sound of ARC tubes with stats.
From the MKII I moved to the REF 3 line stage a couple of years later. I enjoyed that combination for a few years until I decided to purchase the 610t's and they were amazing. A couple of years went by and I purchased an almost new 40th Anniversary. The pairing was stunning from day one.

During that time I tried 4 different versions of CLS panels. That led to the purchase of the CLX I currently own.

A couple of years ago I was looking for someone to do work on my 610t's and was have very little luck. That was the time I considered changing to another model of ARC monos.
An electrical engineer that had said he was not interested in taking on the upgrades and couple small parts change changed his mind and the major parts change and upgrade to KT120 tubes began.
I am so happy I didn't get rid of the amps and they were virtually completely rebuilt. He replaced all of the capacitors and resistors, relays and transistors. It was more than 200 parts per amp before he did the upgrade to KT120's. They have about 200 hours on them and sound amazing. The KT120 run much cooler than the 6550's.

To your question about your purchase. I would not purchase a pair using 6550 tubes unless you are going to upgrade them to use KT120's. With the proper pair I would not hesitate to purchase either using KT120 or KT 150 tubes.

I have not use my MPS5 direct as I don't think it is made to do that. On the remote there is no option for volume control.

I have not even looked at any solid state amps as I love the sound of the ARC tubes. They are not for everyone but I couldn't be happier.
I'm curious to see what you think it you go forward with the big ARC amps.
Good luck.

Brad
Thanks Brad. That is very informative. I was not aware of the difference in the output tubes - I see the Ref 750 uses KT150 tubes so that may be the way to go! I still need to do some research and it may take a while before any decisions are made..

Very nice system, can we see more of the room perhaps?
Hi Kach 22i - I have attached some pics. One where the room is empty when I first revamped it (December2017) Also the listening chairs and some of the wall posters...cheers for now, Steve

Attachments

• 20171212_174642.jpg
    20171212_174642.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190106_161628.jpg
    20190106_161628.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190106_161711.jpg
    20190106_161711.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Documents 1988.jpg
    Documents 1988.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Documents 1986.jpg
    Documents 1986.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200816_084026.jpg
    20200816_084026.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Steve, welcome to the fold and thanks for sharing your nice looking system with us !

Stratwing, thank you for the additional photos.

Question: on the side walls composed of alternating vertical wood boards and a slightly recess black area - what is the black area?

Drywall/Gypsum Board painted black, or perhaps exposed Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)?

Lots of things to like about the room, the seating backs might be to high for a shorter person like myself but for taller people I'm guessing it works just fine.

I had to put a thin outdoor furniture cushion under my butt to raise it an inch or so, made all the difference in the world in my case.

Stratwing, thank you for the additional photos.

Question: on the side walls composed of alternating vertical wood boards and a slightly recess black area - what is the black area?

Drywall/Gypsum Board painted black, or perhaps exposed Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)?

Lots of things to like about the room, the seating backs might be to high for a shorter person like myself but for taller people I'm guessing it works just fine.

I had to put a thin outdoor furniture cushion under my butt to raise it an inch or so, made all the difference in the world in my case.
Hi Kachi22 - the boards are teak, the black is just a light cotton material that doesn't (shouldn't) have any impact on the sound. It is merely cosmetic - but it is hiding panel traps (both high and low) and some absorption (Owens corning #703) In the corners there are 6" of OC #703.

To be honest, the height of the chairs has not been much of a consideration but interesting to hear your views. I have short legs and a long body, relatively speaking, so I guess I sit a little higher. I will maybe try a cushion underneath me and see if there's a difference, although I have experimented a lot with the seating position and height. I can stand behind the listening position and still get a good sense of the soundstage and imaging. I notice a far greater difference moving off centre than front to back / up or down.

Back