Optimizing home wireless network

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
As I've added more and more ethernet and wireless devices to my home network, I've noticed degradation in the quality of streamed music via my (ethernet wired) Squeezebox in my main listening room. Not only does the music sound worse (?? increased jitter), I'm getting constant music dropouts and/or network disconnects. I'm also experiencing slowdowns/ disconnects with other computers and peripherals. Researching the problem, I found this excellent guide for improving your wireless network, which I believe can also improve your wired network performance...
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

In my case, simply switching my router from channel 11 to channel 1, doubled my wireless signal strength throughout my house, and seems to have improved my (wired) Squeezebox performance as well (crisper sound and no more dropouts). I suspect my Verizon FiOS router was struggling to compete with the two 2.4GHz wireless phones I still have in use (the others are all DECT 6.0), or perhaps a neighbors network was on the same channel.

Just thought I'd pass this info along for those who are streaming music.

Last edited:
Update. Despite the wireless improvement, I was STILL getting some dropouts when streaming via ethernet, especially with high-res 24/96 tracks. Researching the problem further, I downloaded and ran the Verizon In-Home Agent for troubleshooting...
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/inhomeagent?CMP=DMC-CV090267

BTW, this is only for PC/Win platforms, and I don't know if they offer a version for Macs. The d/l page lists Vista or WinXP only, but it runs fine on my Win7 64bit laptop.

I used it to optimize my router setup, but STILL had the occasional dropout. On a whim, I then used the Agent to RESET all (five!) of our FiOS set-top boxes, and VOILA, that cured the problem! Apparently something was amiss with one or more of them, and it was hogging the network. Now the music is streaming sweetly!

For those of you using the Verizon Actiontec FiOS router as the heart of your home network, I strongly recommend the In-Home Agent utility to optimize everything!

A nattering device could be the sign of the network interface going - let us know if the problem returns.

Back