Quantcast

More output with no double down vs less output with double down

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Theo32

Reaction score
Theoretically, which amplifier drives best, to low or medium listening levels, a ML hybrid (e.g. Spire, Summit, Montis, Expression etc.) (sensitivity: 91dB, Impedance: 0.8/20kHz);
a) An amplifier that doesn't double down, but delivers 300W/8Ohm, 430W/4Ohm, stable at 2Ohm loads (like the Mark Levinson 532H), or
b) An amplifier that delivers 135W/8Ohm, 270W/4Ohm, stable at 2Ohm loads (like the new Mark Levinson 5302)?

Notice that in both cases the amp manufacturer doesn't state exact output at 2Ohm, and doesn't say anything about <2Ohm loads. Actually, the 532H which I've been using for the last 5 years to drive my Spires, is stable with them. However, I am not happy with the reproduction of high frequencies, which seem to be faint and weak.

Comment: Traditionally high quality manufactures like Mark Levinson, Krell, Parasound, Electrocompaniet, Simaudio, PassLabbs etc. that used to manufacture power amplifiers that doubled output down from 8 to 2 Ohm, do not make new models with this specification. I think this is becoming a common issue to ML owners or future owners, who need to know the amp output in very low loads.
Theodore

ttocs

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Should be fine either way. If I were choosing, I'd pick the doubler.

With that said, I prefer tubes these days. Right now, this week, I've got my Krell re-attached to the Expressions while I'm doing lots of testing and need to do a lot of turning on and off, and it's just not as life-like in the soundstage. Sounds great, and has a lot more top frequencies, but just doesn't sound as real. So with my tube amps set to Triode Mode and using KT-120 tubes the power is a little over 70 watts of euphoria at any volume, as high as you can stand.

There is a prominent "local" dealer, Abt Electronics - local but national, that is a Masterpiece Dealer and they highlight the ML room with Mark Levinson amps. Years ago they used to be a Krell dealer also, which is where I bought my Krell, but now it's all Levinson and McIntosh and they use both to drive the ML's.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
assuming both amps operating within spec as advertised and no issues I doubt very much if you could tell the difference.